Hand/wrist Size

lloyd80s

Good discussion going on here! Thought i'd add a comment...

I'm 5'10"

just over 7" wrist

7 1/4" hands

12.5" forearm

176lb weight

sooooo, falling into the not-so-massive category i have to agree a bit with what you're saying... to a certain degree.

I think that anyone who can no set close their easy gripper (coc or whatever) then has the potential to close that #3! I think with grippers, everyone has an equal chance to do just as well as the next guy regardless of size, but...

There are certain feats of strength that may not be possible for some guys though, like lifting 'the blob' by the face, as someone with really small hands just won't be albe to get any sort of grip on that blob whatsoever!

I think dwelling on these sorts of grip milestones won't get you anywhere, and you shouldn't spend your time being dissapointed that you won't ever be able to do it.

You just have to remember there will always be some limit to what the human body can do, it's just that everyone's limits are slightly different. Just imagine in the future there was some freak of nature who was 10 foot tall and weighed almost 1000lb and had 15" hands, of course he'd be able to close that coc #3 straight out of the pack! :laugh

Guys,

You're all missing my point. I AM VERY HAPPY with my own build, hands, wrist, forearms. I'm very very happy with my fast progress with my grippers, I've closed a #2 and I only started using grippers about 7 weeks ago and I'm now on the way to the #3. All I want to do is find out the limits and records of all the other grip guys out there. If I know the a guy my size has closed a #4 then I know that I should have a #4 as my target. However if the best 150lb guy in the world can do a #2.5 then I'd tell other 150lb guys that they should be aiming at a #2.5 because it's within their group. We should all aim to be a strong a possible and train as hard as we can but I think It's interesting to compare yourself to other guys that are similare to yourself. PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY GET MY POINT.......AND all add you're stats :tongue

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lloyd80s

• pawel r

• Autolupus

• superfeemiman

I may be wrong, but I thought Clay Edgin had 7 1/2" hands

- Aaron

Maybe he has, I'm not sure about the length but if you look at the thickness of his hands, wrists and forearms then you'll see that the guy is huge he must be well over 200lbs and this would put him in the "big guy group", he's hardly small is he! :whacked

Err I've just checked and Clay Edgin is 6ft5in in height and weighs...............335lbs!!!!!! That's hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Like I said, Clay is a tiny human!

Stats are good...but don't LIMIT yourself! :rock

errr, i think everyone here gets your point! you've made it enough times in this topic :tongue

anyhow, why do you need to know if the best a 150lb guy can close is a 2.5 coc?!? Are you going to limit yourself to this if you found it out to be true?

Just train hard and see where it takes you? :mellow

Maybe lloyd80s is saying, "It's lovely to be average(or at least not attain greater than is expected of you!)"

Hahahahahahahahahahh!

Don't think he does though! ;):laugh

Maybe lloyd80s is saying, "It's lovely to be average(or at least not attain greater than is expected of you!)"

Hahahahahahahahahahh!

Don't think he does though! ;):laugh

I GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the most pathetic wrists in the entire Gripboard, I think. They're like, 6-1/4" ?? I don't remember, maybe 6-3/8", but it's not more than 6-1/2" for sure. Maybe that's got something to do with my very slow increase in grip strength, but like mobster said, you have what you have... yeah, it's unrealistic for me to set goals like the #4, but I'll just train and see how far I can get. Hands are about 7-1/4", small too. I think forearms are now over 12" thanks to the many excercises I've been doing. Upper arm is about 15", I'm 5'10" (178cm) and around 81-82kg (~180lbs) or so.

acorn: I seem to recall Clay saying he has 8" hands or so? But he did say he has short fingers for his handsize.

We had the tape out yesterday. TT, 300lbs, actually has smaller wrists than both Nick (220 at the mo) and myself (275 ish). All this probably means is grip work has thickened up our wrists a little. So don't dwell (again) too much on it.

5'6"

152 lbs.

7 1/4 hand

6 1/2 wrist

12" forearm

loyd, i agree with you to a point,you are trying to ratio the comparison between big guys and small guys. like,lets say a 150lb. guy benches 150,a 300 lb guy should do 300.? who knows,all i know is, i know some small guys who are very strong and some big guys who are very weak,there is alot of variables, there is also alot of medium sized guys also. i have small hands and wrists,i have closed a #2,but not every time i pick it up. friday i pulled 180 on the v-bar,doesn't sound like much but its 30 lbs. over my body weight. there is just to many variables,but i know what your getting at.

Was trying to think of the best way to represent hand/wrist size and achievements thereon, bar charts/histograms, pie charts..et al, won't work because of the variables and sub sectors !

Whereas Venn diagrams! :mosher

Height 6'

Weight 229#

Hand length 8 1/8"

Glove sizing 9 3/4 according to the above reference

Wrist 7.5"

Forearm cold straight out wrist cocked 14"

Bicep cold 17.5"

I have closed my hard BBE, and possibly my IM #3.5 once. Otherwise very close on the #3.5 on a good day. I think that a person can have smallish hands wrists and forearms and still achieve great strength levels with consistent hard and smart training. There are plenty of examples of this on the board. Overall I dont think my forearms have grown much in size since I started training grip. But they are a hell of alot stronger. My hands have thickened considerably too. I recently bought a wedding ring for the upcoming wedding and my ring finger is now a 14. I know it wasnt close to that when I started.

- Aaron

Really? You looked much bigger than those #'s in that red cert vid, Gillingham didn't look that much bigger than you.

145lbs

5'10"

8" hand

7 3/4" wrist

10" hand measured like pawel R

13" forearm (right arm) 13 1/4" forearm (left arm)

best gripper closed:

MMS Hg 300 (both hands and inverted left hand)

#2 from ~1mm deeper set than CCS (both hands and inverted left hand)

Beast #1 2 finger CCS (both hands)

Hey, someone weighing less than I, glad to see I'm not the only lightweight around :D

My stats

Height: 184 cm (6' 0.5")

Weight: 68 kg (150 lbs)

Hand length: 19.0 cm (7.5")

Wrists: 15.5 cm (6")

Forearms: 28.5 cm (11")

Best gripper closed: CoC#2.5 (MMS)

errr, i think everyone here gets your point! you've made it enough times in this topic :tongue

anyhow, why do you need to know if the best a 150lb guy can close is a 2.5 coc?!? Are you going to limit yourself to this if you found it out to be true?

Just train hard and see where it takes you? :mellow

Exactly. You should always keep stuff like that in mind, but you should never make it your limit.

My wrist and forearm were measured squeezed down, which is what all measurements should be to make up for fat IMO. I hate seeing pics of people measuring without squeezing down at all when there's obvious fat.

Stats (all were measured right now, except height and weight):

Hand Size: 7.75''

Wrist Size: 7.5''

Forearm size, flexed (no gooseneck): 12.5''

Height: 6'1'' (maybe a little bit more, still growing)

Weight: Around 240-250

Grippers: Trainer when I first got it (Early August of 2006), pretty much no-set. Got the #1 with a wide set about 3 weeks later, and then no-setted it a month or two after that. Closed the #2 when it says in my signature. One week ago I parallel repped it for 6 reps in my right hand and 5 in my left.

Height 6'

Weight 229#

Hand length 8 1/8"

Glove sizing 9 3/4 according to the above reference

Wrist 7.5"

Forearm cold straight out wrist cocked 14"

Bicep cold 17.5"

I have closed my hard BBE, and possibly my IM #3.5 once. Otherwise very close on the #3.5 on a good day. I think that a person can have smallish hands wrists and forearms and still achieve great strength levels with consistent hard and smart training. There are plenty of examples of this on the board. Overall I dont think my forearms have grown much in size since I started training grip. But they are a hell of alot stronger. My hands have thickened considerably too. I recently bought a wedding ring for the upcoming wedding and my ring finger is now a 14. I know it wasnt close to that when I started.

- Aaron

Really? You looked much bigger than those #'s in that red cert vid, Gillingham didn't look that much bigger than you.

Thanks, but I've lost a bit of weight since then. prolly 20# at least. Even then in person, I am no where near Gillinghams size. I was 265# in Oct last year.

- Aaron

145lbs

5'10"

8" hand

7 3/4" wrist

10" hand measured like pawel R

13" forearm (right arm) 13 1/4" forearm (left arm)

best gripper closed:

MMS Hg 300 (both hands and inverted left hand)

#2 from ~1mm deeper set than CCS (both hands and inverted left hand)

Beast #1 2 finger CCS (both hands)

Hey, someone weighing less than I, glad to see I'm not the only lightweight around :D

My stats

Height: 184 cm (6' 0.5")

Weight: 68 kg (150 lbs)

Hand length: 19.0 cm (7.5")

Wrists: 15.5 cm (6")

Forearms: 28.5 cm (11")

Best gripper closed: CoC#2.5 (MMS)

youre not the only one...

height 5´6" (~170cm)

weight ~135lbs (62kg)

wrist, ~6 1/2"

hand 7"

forearm 12"

tns hg150

~2cm away from rb180...

Height: 5'10"

weight: 210

bicep: 17.25"

wrist: 6.5"

forearm: 12.75" (wrist & arm straight)

hand: 7.5"

Shut BBSM very consistently both hands. Never shut #3, but was down to 1/8" at my peak (haven't trained them consistently in over a year). Couldn't close #1 when I started.

Bigger has the advantage, everthing else being equal. "Everything else" seems to play an even greater role in grip than other strength sports. Maybe because we're dealing with such small muscles and complex joints; things like neural efficiency, tendon insertions, etc. are more important. Sure, these are genetic and you're stuck with what you got, but you can't tell them by looking at someone and they're probably more important than overall size. So in grip, the SHW isn't guaranteed to have the biggest total. Smaller guys (Kinney, Heslep, Holle...) have made it to the very top, and IMO (in addition to their very dedicated training), they are "wired" differently from the rest of us.

whats height an weight got to do with anything?

height - 6'4 or 6'5

weight 115-117kg

wrist - 7 5/8ths

forearm - 15in open flexed

hand - 8 1/4

my best close is a hard rb240 thats 3.4 compared to my 3.5

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 192 (and growing)

Hand: 7.75

Wrist: 6.5

Forearm: 11 (+ a little, 1/16th maybe)

#1 can TNS both hands

#2 3 reps RH, 1 rep (3 out of 5) LH

#3 little better than parallel RH

Height: 6' 4.5"

Weight: 215 lbs

Hand: 8"

Wrist: 7.1"

Forearm: 12.2 "

Closed the Coc #2 5 times with both hands.

Closed the RB 240N with TNS.

Height: 6' 2"

Weight: 190 lbs

Hand: 8"

Wrist: 7.1"

Forearm: 12.2 "

(haha almost like filip)

MMS filed IM #3 (also some mini reps)

RB 300 choked close

Height: 5' 10"

Weight: 165 lbs

Hand: 7-3/8"

Wrist: 7-1/2"

Forearm: 12-1/2"

The wrist and forearm measurements are probably crappy. I did the best I could with a string and a metal tape. :rolleyes One of the reasons why I got into grippers was for bigger lower arms. I have always been horribly self conscious of what I thought were puny-looking lower arms. Gripping has definitely given them a muscular look I am happy about!

I have closed an IM 2.5, and my HG300 with both hands. I missed my BBSM by a fraction on the right! The video I took of that attempt looks closed, but I still can't be positive. I'm so glad I'm not a judge because I can never tell. When I get that *click*, then I'll know.

Height: 5' 10"

Weight: 165 lbs

Hand: 7-3/8"

Wrist: 7-1/2"

Forearm: 12-1/2"

The wrist and forearm measurements are probably crappy. I did the best I could with a string and a metal tape. :rolleyes One of the reasons why I got into grippers was for bigger lower arms. I have always been horribly self conscious of what I thought were puny-looking lower arms. Gripping has definitely given them a muscular look I am happy about!

I have closed an IM 2.5, and my HG300 with both hands. I missed my BBSM by a fraction on the right! The video I took of that attempt looks closed, but I still can't be positive. I'm so glad I'm not a judge because I can never tell. When I get that *click*, then I'll know.

Thanks for all the replies, if everyone could continue with the stats it's be great! Does ANYBODY have TOMMY HESLEPS stats?? I think he's one or maybe the best gripper in the world, it'd be interesting to know more on his profile. The video of him doing a left and right hand #3 at the same time is incredible!