Hand/wrist Size

lloyd80s

Hi all,

I took my grippers to work last week and got all the guys to have a try on my #2 and #3. Nobody managed to close either, though I did notice a pattern, all of the people with bigger hands and wrists managed to do better than the small handed guys. Now this leads me to my question, is natural hand a wrist size the most important factor in gripping strengh? If you look at all of the top grip guys(Clay Edgin for example) you'll see that most of them have huge thick wrists and hands. Of course, big hands wont get you closing the #3 or #4 without training and dedication but I do feel it's a bigger achivement for small handed and wrist guy closing a #3 rather than a guy that's got HUGE hands to start with. I think it'd be interesting if everyone could post their hand, wrist and forearms sizes and the hardest griper they've closed. Maybe if we see a what the best gripper has been close by somebody with the same mesurements us then we'll all have true realistic targets, we all want the #3 but some of us will never get it because geneticly we're just not big enough to do it. I little guy with tiny hands and arms maybe achiving the same greatness when he close a #2 as a huge guy closing a #3.5 or #4?? Please have a think about it, in powerlifting a 150lb guy pressing 300lb is greater than a 400lb guy pressing 450lb....................WHAT IS YOUR TRUE POTENTIAL IN THE GRIP WORLD???

Lloyd

Height 6ft

Weight 200lb

Wrists 8 inch

Hands 7.5 inch (from bottom of hand to top of the middle finger).

Forearms 13.5 inch

Closed a #1 (very easy) Closed a #2 (Hard) Working on the #3 ( Very very hard, will take at least 4 months for me to get near this on.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lloyd80s

• pawel r

• Autolupus

• superfeemiman

6'

300 lbs

wrist , 8.75"

forearm, 14.5" (since ive started bending my forearms have grown a lot!)

hands 7.5" (5" palm, 2.5" finger)

#1 easy CCS

#2 about 1/8" away from a CCS

As you can see i have average size hands but odd proportions (big palm short fingers) which makes grippers really hard. i am way stronger than a #1 but im not sure i would ever be able to do a TNS with it because of my short sausage fingers

Edited by liamcafs

People with large hands have easier but everybody can make big power in their hands

Height 6'2"

Weight 222lb

Wrists 7,5"

Hands 8 inch (from bottom of hand to top of the middle finger).

Hand size 10"

Forearms 15"

Arm 16"

Hand size 10"

:blink That's what you call giant.

5'8"

176lbs

13" forearms

7 1/8" wrists

7 1/8" hand

MMS'd #2 both hands(FEELS easy everytime I do it but really isn't)

TNS 1.5

Obviously I'm going to be of the "Little hands can do just as good" front but it really doesn't matter how big your hands are. You could use it as an excuse to not train but why? It's just that much more of a challenge and if your into a good challenge(as I am) then grip training and bending are for you! GENETICS ONLY DETERMINE SIZE! This subject is a pet peave of mine. You can't just look at someone strong and immediatly tell yourself you'll never get there becasue your too small or too weak. Everyone starts somewhere plain and simple.

Height 6'

Weight 172 lb

Wrist 6.6" (~ 6.75")

Hands 7.25"

Forearm 11.25"

Don't have CoC grippers, only Ivanko Super Gripper. According to charts I found on web, I could close No.1, maybe little more. But No.2, no way.

I posted my leverage video, so, when you see my measurements, you can presume it's quite hard for me to do any impressive feat in absolute sense. But relatively speaking, I've made a good progress, and I think that's all that matters. I could never compete against some huge dude, only against myself before and myself now.

Hand size 10"

I made the same like on the picture:

http://www.ergotech.ca/images/Glove_Sizing_350.jpg

Mabe I made misteake when I change cm to inch- but different wil be about 2-3 mm

I have seen bigger hands

Hand size 10"

I made the same like on the picture:

http://www.ergotech.ca/images/Glove_Sizing_350.jpg

Mabe I made misteake when I change cm to inch- but different wil be about 2-3 mm

I have seen bigger hands

Nevermind I read it in a hurry and completely ignored where you said you had 8" hands! Had me scared for a second there; in that case mine are alittle over 9".

Height 5'9"

Weight 256 lbs

Hand length 8"

Wrist 7 3/4"

Forearm 14"

Upper arm 17 3/4 "

I can consistently shut my #3 and have shut my hg350. I think it has less to do with hand size etc and more to do with patience, rest, consistancy and constantly assessing your progress, adjusting your training accordingly and believing you can achieve what you set out to achieve. When I want to make the next step in my training I will tell myself again and again that "I WILL do it", for days before my attempt, until I believe it. Your brain is the muscle you need to train. If you are full of doubts and reasons why you can't, you never will. You should find more reasons why you can and hold onto them. Just look at all the certified coc's, a wide range of hand sizes etc so there is no reason why anybody out there can't achieve the same with the right focus and belief.

Height 6'

Weight 229#

Hand length 8 1/8"

Glove sizing 9 3/4 according to the above reference

Wrist 7.5"

Forearm cold straight out wrist cocked 14"

Bicep cold 17.5"

I have closed my hard BBE, and possibly my IM #3.5 once. Otherwise very close on the #3.5 on a good day. I think that a person can have smallish hands wrists and forearms and still achieve great strength levels with consistent hard and smart training. There are plenty of examples of this on the board. Overall I dont think my forearms have grown much in size since I started training grip. But they are a hell of alot stronger. My hands have thickened considerably too. I recently bought a wedding ring for the upcoming wedding and my ring finger is now a 14. I know it wasnt close to that when I started.

- Aaron

Brendan Dwyer Credit card cert COC#3

Hand 7 7/8

wrist7 3/8

forearm 14 1/2

I have pretty thin fingers not like big monster mason hands.I was able to close my no2 COC when I first got the set and developed quite quickly to closing the #3.I am now working on closing a BBE.I took a six month break on grip for I hurt my ring finger tendon doing cold #3 closes and overtraining .But now it is better so onward and upward.I think anyone can develop terrific power in the fingers and it is especially impressive to see people with small hands do well with things like Rolling thunder

and other big objects that they have to apply much more pressure to equal the wrap of the big hand.

Brendan

Hand size 10"

5'8"

176lbs

13" forearms

7 1/8" wrists

7 1/8" hand

MMS'd #2 both hands(FEELS easy everytime I do it but really isn't)

TNS 1.5

Obviously I'm going to be of the "Little hands can do just as good" front but it really doesn't matter how big your hands are. You could use it as an excuse to not train but why? It's just that much more of a challenge and if your into a good challenge(as I am) then grip training and bending are for you! GENETICS ONLY DETERMINE SIZE! This subject is a pet peave of mine. You can't just look at someone strong and immediatly tell yourself you'll never get there becasue your too small or too weak. Everyone starts somewhere plain and simple.

Hi,

I'm not saying that I or anybody else should use hand size and genetics as an excuse for how strong they are. What I'm trying to find out is this- A very small guy with small hands does not have the same potential to close a hard gripper as a huge guy with huge hands.....Just look at the main men in closing #3.5s and #4s NONE of them are 140lb guys with skinny arms and small hands. The good big guy will always beat the good little guy. If you look at powerlifters you'll see that the guys in the heavyweight class are also the guys lifting the most weight. SIZE DOES EQUAL STRENGH, there have been a few exceptions of little guys being stronger than big guy but as a rule bigger means stronger. ANYWAY, I'm trying to find out everybodys sizes and best gripper feats so we can all compare our own body stats and see what people of a simmilar size have done. Maybe that little 140lb guy will see that he's the best gripper in his size and weight because he can close the #2 and then he wont feel so bad he will never close the #4. It's not worth a 140lb guy trying to match Clay Edgin in a gripping contest so maybe he'll be happy to know he's kicking ass in his own "division".

Just look at the main men in closing #3.5s and #4s NONE of them are 140lb guys with skinny arms and small hands.

Maybe they aren't 140lb guys......but 175lb guys have closed #4.....with sub 8" hands. Joe Kinney almost no set the #4 and he was a 175lber with a sub 8" hand. Heslep certified #4 with sub 8" hands and probably ~175lbs. You don't have to be a huge guy to close huge grippers.

There is a 135lb CERTIFIED COC......with VERY small hands. (I believe less than 7"?)

As for me,

145lbs

5'10"

8" hand

7 3/4" wrist

10" hand measured like pawel R

13" forearm (right arm) 13 1/4" forearm (left arm)

best gripper closed:

MMS Hg 300 (both hands and inverted left hand)

#2 from ~1mm deeper set than CCS (both hands and inverted left hand)

Beast #1 2 finger CCS (both hands)

I personally am not the strongest lightweight gripper out there, but the above mentioned people would have something to say if you think only 200+lb 8" hand and wrist people can close big grippers.

Hi,

I'm not saying that I or anybody else should use hand size and genetics as an excuse for how strong they are. What I'm trying to find out is this- A very small guy with small hands does not have the same potential to close a hard gripper as a huge guy with huge hands.....Just look at the main men in closing #3.5s and #4s NONE of them are 140lb guys with skinny arms and small hands. The good big guy will always beat the good little guy. If you look at powerlifters you'll see that the guys in the heavyweight class are also the guys lifting the most weight. SIZE DOES EQUAL STRENGH, there have been a few exceptions of little guys being stronger than big guy but as a rule bigger means stronger. ANYWAY, I'm trying to find out everybodys sizes and best gripper feats so we can all compare our own body stats and see what people of a simmilar size have done. Maybe that little 140lb guy will see that he's the best gripper in his size and weight because he can close the #2 and then he wont feel so bad he will never close the #4. It's not worth a 140lb guy trying to match Clay Edgin in a gripping contest so maybe he'll be happy to know he's kicking ass in his own "division".

Small is not always weaker than big one. For example Alexander Zass and Steve McGranahan

It's been discussed many times before and I always say the same - who cares - just go train. What you have is what you have.

Hi,

Small is not always weaker than big one. For example Alexander Zass and Steve McGranahan

Like I said there have been some smaller guys that can achive really strong feats but I'm saying that most of the time when you see the strongest gripper closer they're bigger guys. Look at Morton, Heath, Brookfield and Edgin.......Hardly small guys!! And if you look at the mash monster board and look at the all of the guys stat nearly all of them are over 200lb! I await the day that a guy under 150lbs closes a #4, and if I a right in my thinking then that day will NEVER come.

I may be wrong, but I thought Clay Edgin had 7 1/2" hands

- Aaron

Maybe he has, I'm not sure about the length but if you look at the thickness of his hands, wrists and forearms then you'll see that the guy is huge he must be well over 200lbs and this would put him in the "big guy group", he's hardly small is he! :whacked

Hullo,

190mm circ. on wrist, 184mm hand, can TNS#2 on both and got an MMS #2.5 on both, body is around about 90Kg@1.7M. :D

Small hands... and I'll have the #3 by the end of the year!(at least that's my goal)

Cheers, Mike. :rock

I may be wrong, but I thought Clay Edgin had 7 1/2" hands

- Aaron

Maybe he has, I'm not sure about the length but if you look at the thickness of his hands, wrists and forearms then you'll see that the guy is huge he must be well over 200lbs and this would put him in the "big guy group", he's hardly small is he! :whacked

Err I've just checked and Clay Edgin is 6ft5in in height and weighs...............335lbs!!!!!! That's hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Stop bitchin' lloyd80s, you've bigger than average hands...and wrists...so #3 by new year! C'mon! ;):D:rock

Good discussion going on here! Thought i'd add a comment...

I'm 5'10"

just over 7" wrist

7 1/4" hands

12.5" forearm

176lb weight

sooooo, falling into the not-so-massive category i have to agree a bit with what you're saying... to a certain degree.

I think that anyone who can no set close their easy gripper (coc or whatever) then has the potential to close that #3! I think with grippers, everyone has an equal chance to do just as well as the next guy regardless of size, but...

There are certain feats of strength that may not be possible for some guys though, like lifting 'the blob' by the face, as someone with really small hands just won't be albe to get any sort of grip on that blob whatsoever!

I think dwelling on these sorts of grip milestones won't get you anywhere, and you shouldn't spend your time being dissapointed that you won't ever be able to do it.

You just have to remember there will always be some limit to what the human body can do, it's just that everyone's limits are slightly different. Just imagine in the future there was some freak of nature who was 10 foot tall and weighed almost 1000lb and had 15" hands, of course he'd be able to close that coc #3 straight out of the pack! :laugh

Edited by youdimmers