Fastest time to the #3

Guest Canthar

I'd like to know the circumstances regarding Ken Blaclmans 'click'of the #3.

John Wood indicated his father Kim Wood saw Ken close a number#3 the first time it was handed to him?

What happened was my Dad handed him the gripper and said close this. Then Ken did. CLICK!

Nuff said!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strong Man

• Sybersnott

• RiotGrip

• gazza

I'd like to know the circumstances regarding Ken Blaclmans 'click'of the #3.

John Wood indicated his father Kim Wood saw Ken close a number#3 the first time it was handed to him?

What happened was my Dad handed him the gripper and said close this. Then Ken did. CLICK!

Nuff said!

Ok cool. :cool

Then Ken IS the fastest trip to the #3 EVER!???

This is really splitting hairs BUT josh closed the #1,#2,SOMETHING IN BETWEEN,and then the #3(all within a few minutes).So Blackman mad the trip faster.......

Mattvanwheele indicated via an e-mail to me that he had actually spoken directly to Strossen and Strossen had NEVER heard of someone closing the #3 first shot,without some previous gripper experience.Ever.

So it looks like it was Ken Blackman and Josh Bigger HAVE done this in front of credible witnesses.Also,Ironically,though they don't know each other they live approximately 20 miles apart.

May not matter to some?and may not matter at all now...but 5 years from now we may be scratching our heads trying to remember.If nothing else it's interesting trivia for trivia buffs and historians and apparently Strossen found the Josh Bigger closure interesting.....and somewhere in there Blackman fits in.... :blush

Anyways.Thanks for the info.and-in case it came across wrong i never doubted it for a moment....

If you see him Tom you should just hand it to him and see what he gets. I know closing a 3 the very first time he has ever seen grippers is just freaky :whacked:whacked:whacked but I still would like to know how far he would get.

When I get my tax returns i will be buying a #4 and a World Class....perhaps..IF we get on speaking terms again....I'll hand them off to him and hopefully IF he finds something that IS difficult?it will be motivating.

i'm sure we have have all meet people that things come easy too? and often?such people don't always apreciate the gift.

NOT saying that of him.....in his life he simply 'ran out of time'and doesn't have the extra few hours for grip...and althoughhe WAS interested in grip for awhile ?never becames interested in the grippers..but anyways maybe something he CAN'T do will be a postive thing.

Man thats to bad he doesn't want to train grip. I know some might disagree with me on this and for most it holds true but I think Josh would mash the #4 quite a bit quicker and easier than alot would expect if he got on a good program for himself and gave it his all. By the way Iowa Tom why don't you and Josh speak or train together anymore?

Because i have too many opinions and tend to say too much...imagine that :blush

I'll explain sometime but....Was looking death in the face and didn't flinch though. ;)

BTW...remember the owner said he'd press those 200# dumbells in a few months?he hit two sets of 2 last night...according to witnesses.They said they just exploded off his chest.And pressing is his weak point.... :laugh:laugh They are apparently looking into making 225's to set the bar/goals higher.....the owner is a bit twisted...thinks a pair of 250's are doable.All hypothetical..... :D

If josh could make a run at the #4???what about Blackman....?

for what its worth i doubt anyone who cant shut the #1 out of the bag will reach the #3

But dont let that stop you

And dont forget there are more grip lifts than just the gripper!! :)

I fully disagree, randy. I couldn't close the #1 for about a week out of the wrapper. I may have closed the #3 on Tuesday night, but the video camera angle was off and I couldn't see the handles on the majority of the closes. However there are a couple of shots that are very strongly hinting at a full close. I'm not certified or anything, but I have no doubt I will close it this weekend. Also, I know Razorman worked to the three, but I don't think he started out with a clean close directly out of the plastic on the number one either. I bet there are more.

And yes, I agree, there are plenty other grip lifts to consider besides the grippers.

Thanks.

Not at all mate

its based on personal experience

ive been traiing the grippers for 6 years and im 2cm off closing Dave's #2

I took me 18 months to shut the trainer and another 12 months after that to shut my #1

Ive seen blokes shut the #3 after less than a years training and they can all shut the #1 out of the bag

Common sense.

But just cos i probibly wont get the #3 im not giving up!!!!  and why shouldnt a man with a club foot be one of the greatest lifters of all time (Hepburn).  

But saying that, there are men with club feet who cant squat 300lbs.

see what i mean

Good luck :)

Do you have small hands or something? It's taken you 6 years to close a two?

What you are saying is making me feel weird. I can't read any more of this. I am sorry.

To be able to close a #3...Which #3 by the way ? I have a #3 that is WAY harder than the other #3 i have (which strength is comparable to David's #3, aka The Swiss). I'm not sure i will ever close that sucker but i know i'll close the other one. See my point ?

I was able to close the #1 the day i received it but i had been working on the ISG for almost a month and i guess i would not have been able to close the #1 the day i received my Ivanko.

Cheers up guy ! Buy a lot of grippers then find the easiest one you can't close, close it, move to the next etc. Who knows, the next one may be a #3 ? :D

PS: Well done again Jonas (griparn) ! I remember very well when you were struggling with your #1 :rock

Yes, Amaury I see your point. But I just answered the question. Yes, the #3 I closed was an easy one.

Everyone that have the will can close a #3! :D:rock

Griparn

Dont sell yourself short any #3 close deserves RESPECT,but remember it is only a stepping stone to bigger and better things :bow

Speaking of tough #3s-Tommy Helep's #3 is a MONSTER. Its handle width was a good 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch wider than ANY of my grippers. Never saw anything like it. And-it is tough from the get go-so you have to fight it tooth and nail, even with a good set. I didn't close it when he was here-I got it to less than a penny width, but I was far from fresh and I havent trained grippers in 2-3 months at all.

Any of you guys coming to my contest will hopefully get to have a go at it.

Tom-its too bad about Josh. But you can say that about a lot of people. Heck-look at all the strongmen and powerlifters out there that are beasts. If they took some time to focus on grip-they would be dominating grip feats.

I have had so many people tell me that grip is just a novelty. A lot of people truly feal that way. When I talked to Richard Sorin, he told me hand strength is the mark of a man-unfortunetly, not too many feal that way.

For me-seeing Pat bend a grade 5 bolt is far more impressive than seeing someone squat 1000 in 4 canvas suits. There is just something about raw, pure, strength.

Everyday I see people with hands that make mine look like toddlers hands. I always think they could have incredible hand strength if they just had the guts to push themselves. THen I look at Tommy's hands, his are thinner than mne-and he can do mind blowing things with them.

Its all about heart-training grip is probably one of the most painful things to do-if you do it right. Right now, as I type, I am recovering from tendonitis, a hole in my thumb, and some whicked wrist pain. But, I will train today.

Tom-I truly hope Josh finds that spark again, and I hope you 2 make peace. He could motivate you to great heights!

Rick Walker :rock

I think it's about 3''. Give or take a 1/16.

My left hand had been a lot weaker than my right for months, it ached bad everytime I trained grippers. Then I gave it a full week of rest and did the hot/cold water thing everyday. Today was the first training day after that week of rest, I realised right away that my left hand was alive again. The sweep is actually stronger with my left now. Feels great!

I went from not being able to close a #1 to close a #3 in 10 months.

ya i haven't closed the #3 yet but closing in fast!, i couldn't close the #1 either but i've been training for about 7 months and almost there!

10 months Griparn, this is fantastic! I can care less if it was a weak #3...a weak #3 means a strong #2 in my book ( at the very least). If you keep training with grippers and various grip training for serveral years , major progress abound! :rock ...Best Wishes