Fastest time to the #3

Guest Canthar

When I first tried my friends girppers I couldn't close the trainer. Now it's 8 months later and I'm inconsistently closing the #2. I'm just one of those guys who doesn't have natural hand strength (as well as being a hardgainer). I must say that the last 1/8 - 1/4" on the #2 have fallen in the last 2 weeks, thanks to KTA :mosher

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strong Man

• Sybersnott

• RiotGrip

• gazza

I know, guys, I'm just making a joke. The grippers are a serious strength tool and I guess I was just lucky to be born with a decent base for hand strength.

Dyoder this could be a tough question to answer..Im not sure of your age so lets assume that someone tried the trainer at say 15 and couldnt get it I wouldnt think that they would never be able to close the 3..alot of the guys who are closing the the 1 and 2 out of the box are usually older with somekind of strenght training,,or at least some years of manual labor.I took a week to close the coc2 but I have been doing some hand exercises for years,,not directly with grippers but hand strength all the same..Its all about determination,so dont be afraid of what hasnt been done yet,,someone has to be the first..

good luck      Joe

I think this is exactly right. A very young person is not going to have as strong of a grip typically. I did not see the grippers until I was 29 or 30, and had been strength training for a long time before trying them. I could close #2 the first time I tried it, and #3 on about the third occassion I ever tried it. I am sure that when I was 15 or so, the trainer might have been hard.

Not having trained with weights was definately a disadvantage to me. When I first tried the trainer I hadn't done any real excercies in about 2 years due to a severe back injury. I think that was what made me so slow to progress.

yeah all true, but for me being 15 i'm glad i'm starting now, sure i couldn't #1 first try it took me about a week but i got it, i just can't wait to see my hand strength in 5 years from now :rock

yeah all true, but for me being 15 i'm glad i'm starting now, sure i couldn't #1 first try it took me about a week but i got it, i just can't wait to see my hand strength in 5 years from now

yeah... i'm only 14 and i can close the #2, hopefully in a couple of months i'll have the #3 closed, i'm also glad i started out young doing this kind of training

Edited by thomas straub

Clay,

Maybe you should set something up with Heath, so that he could send you some of HIS grippers to try! I'm sure you'll find a gripper you CAN'T close - and therefore, you would find the challenge again! :D

yeah all true, but for me being 15 i'm glad i'm starting now, sure i couldn't #1 first try it took me about a week but i got it, i just can't wait to see my hand strength in 5 years from now

yeah... i'm only 14 and i can close the #2, hopefully in a couple of months i'll have the #3 closed, i'm also glad i started out young doing this kind of training

don't get too excited there Tom, you've still got a lot!!!!!!!!! more training to do with the #2

don't get too excited there Tom, you've still got a lot!!!!!!!!! more training to do with the #2

i think in 6, or 7 months i'll have the #3 closed which will make me tied with the youngest coc.

:cool

Well, Good luck to ya Tom. You got High Hopes and good Goals... Really really high hopes. I know I want to be the fastest to get to the #4 though... :P

you and me both Kit, the race has already started!

you guys actully think your gonna shut the #4, when only one person in the world has done it!!!!! i'm not saying your not.. but come on now it's a #4. Well i wish you great luck anyways. :rock

I think I got my #3 in late April. I think within two months or so, I'd closed it, from being a #2 closer.

Does this count?

I think I got my #3 in late April. I think within two months or so, I'd closed it, from being a #2 closer.

Does this count?

good job, but how long have you been training all in total

I'd bought the #2 a while before, thinking I'd just close it out of the box. Ended up buying the #1 and training with the #1 and #2. Did that for a month, lost interest. Rick Walker got me into grip training again, and I started again in earnest. Bought the #3 because I could close the #2 and started with those three.

I'd bought the #2 a while before, thinking I'd just close it out of the box. .

ok....i see

have you done any other grip training before you got the grippers.

Clay,

Maybe you should set something up with Heath, so that he could send you some of HIS grippers to try! I'm sure you'll find a gripper you CAN'T close - and therefore, you would find the challenge again! :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are a handful (pun intended) of grippers out there that will humble me :) The challenge right now is getting my right hand up to full strength without pain and building strength in my left hand enough to where I can close the #3 consistently. As for stronger grippers, I'm going to buy one of the Tetting ones that is rated at 310lbs (forgot what it's called) and use that as a stepping stone to the #4.

What's weird about grip strength is that when I squeeze my #4 and it goes just a little bit further, it doesn't feel like I'm squeezing any harder. Like I can't feel the increased strength in my hand, but the handles coming closer together tells me that my hands are getting stronger.

Actually, thinking about it now, I may PM Heath and see if he wants to do a gripper exchange. I'd like to get his opinion of my #4, which to me seems ungodly hard. But who knows, it might be so easy to him that he might just close it!

I'd like to know the circumstances regarding Ken Blaclmans 'click'of the #3.

John Wood indicated his father Kim Wood saw Ken close a number#3 the first time it was handed to him?

I've met Ken and absolutely believe it but would sort of like to know how it went down?

Also,you'd have to check with Animal Cage on this but at the Snowman Strongman contest but As it was described to me Animal Cage handed Josh Bigger the #1 and he closed it.Handed him the #2 and he closed it.handed him something else described as being "between a 2 and a 3'and he closed it and then handed him a #3 and he closed it.Described as 'very ez',hardly any effort at all.

He later did a full deadlift of the INCH dumbell.

he had never touched a 'gripper'before.I suppose he closed the others on the way to the number 3 ?but as it was described there was no rest just bam!bam!bam!and then the #3....

How did Nick mcLiness(sp) do it?anybody got the details?

Clays close right up there too?

Guest gripmaster316

Since Josh blew the 1,2,3 away, why did,'t anyone give him a number 4??? Could you imagine if he closed it the first time?? Or even just coming within a few mm?

you guys actully think your gonna shut the #4, when only one person in the world has done it!!!!! i'm not saying your not.. but come on now it's a #4. Well i wish you great luck anyways. :rock

lol your just mad that i'm probably going to close it before you, i'll close it! and Kit will mash that #4 before you aswell!

Also,you'd have to check with Animal Cage on this but at the Snowman Strongman contest but As it was described to me Animal Cage handed Josh Bigger the #1 and he closed it.Handed him the #2 and he closed it.handed him something else described as being "between a 2 and a 3'and he closed it and then handed him a #3 and he closed it.Described as 'very ez',hardly any effort at all.

someone should of gave him the #4 he probably would of closed it :bow

Since Josh blew the 1,2,3 away, why did,'t anyone give him a number 4??? Could you imagine if he closed it the first time?? Or even just coming within a few mm?

Apparently they asked around and couldn't find one.It turns out there was one there owned by promoter/pro strongman John Beatty but nobody had asked him.As it was?I think he did pretty darn good.

At the time?( i did not own grippers until a few months ago-thus hadn't any knowledge)I thought the same thing BUT as i have learned more about the #4.....well enough said...ONE person HAS closed it.

Purely hypothetical but I'm sure he would have moved it a ways.

Guest gripmaster316

If you see him Tom you should just hand it to him and see what he gets. I know closing a 3 the very first time he has ever seen grippers is just freaky :whacked:whacked:whacked but I still would like to know how far he would get.

You may not remember reading, but Josh was suffering from some painful tendonitis at the time. He did mash the #3, but I could see the pain in his face. Even if we had discovered John's #4, it may not have been the best idea for Josh to try it. He also didn't want to close it again, even for pictures or other witnesses. Meat hooks. Thick, massive meat hooks. Just thick, thick, massive meat hooks.