Fastest time to the #3

Guest Canthar

There is one person, don't have his name, who has ran a

3: 05 marathon (boston qualifying) and benched 400 in the same lifetime.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strong Man

• Sybersnott

• RiotGrip

• gazza

Guest Canthar

Hmm, good points maybe the examples were a bit more serious then I was meaning. Maybe not the time factor but, they could atleast finish. Choosing to do what your physiology lean towards will make things easier yes. I've seen some crazy people do things that if you looked at genetics and traits they should not have been able to. I still stand by, that if you want it and will put the work in you can get it. You might not be as good at it as others though. Back to the middle ground I guess here, which is realistic I believe.

Nic

Roark- I hate to admit this but you lost me on that. Just got home from work brain is a bit fried.

Guest Canthar

Hehe, yeah. Suddenly donned on me in the middle of my interval workout what you meant. You have to be positive if you want to go anywhere, negative does nothing but, put stumbling blocks in your way.

Nic

By using times/weights, I was trying to make things ROUGHLY equal to closing a 3. Finishing a marathon is NOT equal to closing a 3. I thought a 2:30 MIGHT be. My point was, to run a 2:30 marathon requires a lot of genetic potential aka athletic ability. No matter how long the training, everyone will NOT have the ability to run 2:30. Or, in my opinion, close a 3...unless they have a welde...woops better not go there...

You could take 1000 people, at random, and give them elite training for ten years at an olympic training center, give them the best epo etc, and you would be lucky to get one under 2:30. You might get simular results with the 3...

Guest Canthar

To be honest I still don't by into it. I think a larger majority could train to do any of those. Some people just aren't meant to, but the majority of people never pick one thing and then train themselves to maximum potential at that one aspect.

Nic

In some respect, it is very difficult to compare elite running to any elite strength feat.  In running there has to be a definite limit to performance, because no one could ever possibly run a mile in one minute.  However, it is much more feasible to keep gradually increasing one's strength.  A good lifter is probably three times stronger than a non trained person in something like a rock bottom squat, but do think the best runner in the world could run a mile three times faster than any of you?  Lets also not forget elite runners have their own set of performance enhancing drugs which can increase thier potential.

Moral of this story:  we all have a limit, but you won't know you can't ever do something until you try.

For me, grip has come quite easy.  The #3 went down within 6 months of training on the grippers.  Now, i cant close it consistently yet, but I got another month and it will be my little #3 B*tch!  I could pinch 2-25s easily right away and within a month I got 2-35s.  The first time I lifted on a thick bar, I hoisted over 100 with one hand.  the second (or third)time I did 1 handed deads on my PDA farmers, I cleared 475 off the ground.

Strength has come easy-I went from 165 pound senior with a 400 pound deadlift, a 400 pound below parallel squat, and a 315 pound bench in 1996 to a 240 pound 23 year old with a 700 pound pull and squat and a 405 pound bench in 2001.

Anything aerobic is a different story.  I suck at biking, swimming, and running.  The thought of doing an Ironman at a respectable time, say top 20 finishers, is to me as awesome as closing any gripper-#4 and beyond.  

Swimming 2.5 miles, biking 112 miles, and running 26.5 miles in one day-its astounding!

But I look at it this way:  

For me to handle big weights I gotta weigh atleast 220-242 or better at 5'10".  I am too tall to be a middleweight powerlifter.  Remember who owns this weight class-Eddy Coan, Chuck Vogelpohl, and many, many others.  A 700 pound squat at 220 -242 isnt all that great considering the top 20 at 220 hit 700 or better.  I refuse to use the juice, so I am basically never going to be at the top-I accepted that.  Plus, already at 24, I have beaten myself up quite good.

Triathlon wise, I cant do any of the events well.  I am a 200+ pound, single mitochondira meat head with a VO2 of about 1.0 liters per minute.  I have asthma, I have terrible running form, and 10 minutes of biking brings on latic acid pain that is darn near unbearable.  Plus-when you have mass, you SINK!  So, swimming is a oy in and of itself.

Will I ever win a triathlon?  Maybe a small local one.  An Ironman?  Ummm-NO.  I dont care how hard I train and how long, being good enough to be at the top isnt going to happen.  Can I finish an Ironman in respectable time?  Sure.

What I am saying-and sorry for being long winded-is that I am never going to be a super star.  I dont train for fame and fortune, I look at a goal that is unreachable and I bust my a$$ until I reach it.  That is all we can do.  The #3 was a rock 6 months ago-I coudnt budge it an inch-no, on a good day, i can close it and I can always get it close enough to sneeze it shut, even cold.  I set my sights on it-that is what anyone has to do.  Thinking about it aint gonna get it done-you gotta bleed, sweat, and feel pain that is enough to kill you.

Rick Walker

:hehe

What I tried and failed to do.

I wasn't trying to say people couldn't change from one sport to another. Or that people shouldn't try different events.

I WAS trying and FAILING to explain how not everyone, no matter how much they train, will close a 3. I used the running example and the benching example, thinking people would visualize the two types of athletes, and realize one could probably not do the other, at that level, no matter how long they trained. Therefore, genetic potential is necessary for high level success in ANY sport. And closing a 3 requires A LOT of genetic potential.

I guess, I'm suprised this is a shock to some people. I mean do you REALLY think the only difference between someone like Mr. Sorin and the average griper is his determination and mental focus? Don't you think there HAS to be some unchangeable physical difference? Maybe the difference is some leverage advantage or  difference in muscle fiber types. In any even its an unchangeable physical difference.

I do however think it might be possible for someone who couldn't initially close a trainer to go on to close a 3. It would be a tough road, however. But, there is the idea of untaped potential. I have a good friend who was dropped from the high school cross country team. The coach (aka sh*t for brain) said he had no potential for endurance. He latter went on to WIN a number of 10ks and marathons. He has a marathon PR of 2:24.

What does that MEAN..... genetic potential??  ???

It's a B.S. term for someone who is saying that they can't achieve a certain strength goal because mommy and daddy didn't give them the right "tools" to do the job.

BULL!!!   :angry:

Take a look at Joe Kinney.  Does he look like he has "genetic potential"?  Really, I could reel off a whole list of names of guys who became weightlifting LEGENDS because they refused to believe that they "didn't have enough" when it came to being taller, heavier, stronger, etc., then the next guy.

It is EASIER for most guys who are over a certain height and certain bodyweight - but what about the rest of us?  If I subscribed to the same type of thinking I did about the grippers, I would of given up on trying to close the #3 a long time ago (and I certainly wouldn't be a part of this forum).

Am I satisfied that I closed the #3?  Sure!  But it's not all I want to accomplish.  I lift and lift hard and I have other goals.  It's what keeps me going.... otherwise, forget it.

So, please... don't fall into that "genetic potential" trap.

Believe in yourself, and your abilities.

So you can't close the #2.  Neither could I the first time I tried.

Remember..... Sybersnott is HERE for YOU!!  I am ready to help you, and so is everyone else on this forum.  Don't give up - we won't let you!  :)

Now..... conquer closing that #3!!!   ;)  :D  :)

I think that this is a question that cannot be properly answered period. The thing that we need to remember when comparing the #3 to other feats such as running or a triathlon, is the obscurity of the sport. Pretty much everyone knows and understands how to run, cycle, and swim etc, and they essentially know what they can do. This is because they do these excercises frequently and they are so well known that limits, boundaries, and acceptable goals have already been discovered.

Now consider hand strength, not only hand strength, but Captains of Crush grippers. Ask most people about hand strength, a couple of them might mention someone who trains it. Ask about a CoC, and 99% of people wont know what the #### your on about.

We cannot accurately predict whether everyone could close a #3 if they wanted to, because, as yet, not enough people want to, nor has the sport been around long enough.

Another problem with making this prediction is the nature of hand strength. Unlike other sports where people tend to peak in their twenties, it would seem that hand strength just rises and rises as we get older. Closing the #3 has only really been a feat for a decade, so half the people who own them wont even have peaked yet.

Anyway I'm rambling, it's not much but its my opinion.

NB. if I WAS to guess, I would say yes, with dedication almost anyone could close a 3.

Guest JoeQ1966

What alot of this comes down to is do you want it bad enough.Im never going to be a world class runner simply because I hate running..On the other hand things I like to do im usually good at..There are some physical limitations for people and some people seem better designed for a certain sport but so much of it is do you wantto  put forth the great effort to reach greatness.Michael Jordan is no taller than anyone else in the nba but he was the best..

Andre Agassi was the last person you would think to be good but he was at the top of the game..Andre was said to regulary lose his lunch during training..now thats drive

good luck in training and train to achieve

Joe

As i stated the first time i wrote on this forum (3 monthes ago) i'm a hard gainer when it comes to build muscles and i'm not naturally strong (not naturally "weak" though :) ). I've been weightlifting for a few years but not the smart way, with interruptions (overtraining mainly, not appropriate food etc...) and since i'm a hardgainer (i think this point is clear by now   :crazy ) i'm only 165 lbs.

I started with the super gripper for a month (on my first try i only closed it notches 7-5, for those who have one) and then bought #1, #2 and #3 ironmind grippers. I could barely close the #1 off the box and in the fews week that followed and could only close it on the good days... So I thought : yes man you have no potential but perhaps the #2 some day ?  Now, two months later i can do 8-10 reps with my #1 and i'm less than 2/5 inches from closing the #2. So i think : yes the #2 will fall and perhaps the #3 some day. In fact i made a lot of progress in every area of weight training the last monthes only because i changed the way i trained and the way i eat.

My conclusions are: before setting goals and talking of potential, be sure you train smart !

Sorry for those platitudes but i made a lot of mistakes for years beeing deaf to this obvious fact : training hard is not enough.

My message still stands.  Train hard, train smart, believe in yourself and your abilities, do your time (nothing ever worthwhile comes overnight), and..... trust SYBERSNOTT!!!  :p

• 10 months later...

i think age matters a lot becasue some men can work as plumpers etc... hand on jobs, but someone like me who couldn't even close #1 first try, a lot of men who've worked in those kinds of jobs for years would do good on grippers, and i think if someone couldn't even close a trainer, within one year i think he could close #3 if he worked hard!

my reply was for the first pages questions

Kinney never started with a #1...he started with a #2 and it took him approximately a week to close.... I understand that Nick McKinless closed a #3 on his first try ... there are others...I remember Joe Kinney telling me about a 67 year old guy who closed a #3 in 2 weeks!!! Joe loaned the guy his #3 and when he came back to the guys house 2 weeks later the guy said something to the effect " I want to show you something ....". 67 years old!!! The fellow was a rather large man, I forgot his dimensions but the point is, had he been in his prime he would have absolutely killed the #3 the first time he tried it. When it comes to the #4 , I am convinced that no one will ever close #4 without previous gripper training ( and most will not close it even if they put all their heart into it :( )

67 yrs. old! Wow! I still have hope! lol

Good topic!

'I took me 18 months to shut the trainer and another 12 months after that to shut my #1'

......theres hope for me yet ;) no diss though...

My progress started fast, no trainer, straight to #1, one month to close consistentley and then after a few months I brought the #2................ different matter! I'm still stuck on 1/4 but thanks to Oldguys training advice I surppassed my PM on it yesterday! It may take some time but it WILL go down :rock

As for the #3, it haunts my dreams, I mean literally. The other day I woke firmly believing that I was a certified CoC!!! :blush

But dreams are only dreams, until you make them a reality!

I have not experienced severe pain/injury yet due to my training but am prepared for it as when it comes I will view it as progress.

Stick close to the board..... make those goals happen whether they seem 'unrealistic' or not.

Digz.

On Valentine's Day, my wife bought my the Trainer and I repped it 11 times right out of the package before getting bored. Then I bought the #2 in March/April and closed it out of the package too. Then I got my #3 in middle of May, closed it on the first night, and got certified a month later.

I don't see what the big deal with these grippers is. They aren't THAT hard! Just stop Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ing around and squeeze harder! ;)

*running away from the oncoming flames*

Guest gripmaster316

Some people aren't like you Clay. I have a fairly big friend, and he is pretty strong. I wanted to show him something that I told him was "tough." It was a #1. I gave it to him and told him how to set it. To my shock and dismay he didn't even get parallel. He said it was very hard. I gave him the number two and I didn't even bother with the three. Some people have the hand strength and some don't. I don't mean to brag but I basically closed the #1 right out of the package. Once I knew how to set it, I could do 16 reps within a few days.

Edited by gripmaster316

ya Clay your quite the monster if you didn't notice