Fastest time to the #3

Guest Canthar

Guest 115-1005574997

Christian

If you have been training as long as me you wont think common sense is un-reliabe.  Ive had too may disapointments due to unrealistic goals and unobtanable targets.

I hope you get the #3 really i do. But i use myself as an example of real like training!  thats all

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strong Man

• Sybersnott

• RiotGrip

• gazza

Riotgrip,good point about the baby,i to think the patential for

grip strength is more than we think,i dont think even,Mr Kinney,Sorin,Horne,Brookfield or Slim,have done it all get,even as good as they are i feel we have only scratched the suffice,i think if you could magically transfer,apollon,goerna,

saxon,etc,to the present day,to do battle with,sorin,horne,brookfield,kinney,slim etc,inthere prime,then

we would really see what could be achieved,i feel that unless

we are all pushed,into competition,or train together,which is like competition,then we tend to ease off.I also agree that more people than we think,if pushed could go onto the 3*,

even if like snott,it takes you 2 years,or like Scott,over 6 years upto now,but Scott,the long journey will be a rewarding one,keep pluggin away.

Guest Christian
Christian

If you have been training as long as me you wont think common sense is un-reliabe.  Ive had too may disapointments due to unrealistic goals and unobtanable targets.

I hope you get the #3 really i do. But i use myself as an example of real like training!  thats all

Well then don't set unrealistic goals. ;)

I will get the #3. I don't care if I am 50.

Well then don't set unrealistic goals. ;)

I will get the #3. I don't care if I am 50.

Relax Christian, no need to get shirty. I think you`ve misunderstood what Scott has been saying. I don`t believe Scott is trying to draw any comparisons betwen you two. He is just giving us the value of his experience, i for one would do everything to learn from that.

Faheem

Guest Christian
Relax Christian, no need to get shirty. I think you`ve misunderstood what Scott has been saying. I don`t believe Scott is trying to draw any comparisons betwen you two. He is just giving us the value of his experience, i for one would do everything to learn from that.

No way am I getting "shirty!" I think you've misinterpreted my tone. It happens quite often.

I was merely stating that you can accomplish any reasonable goal as long as you put your mind to it. My mind is to it. Who cares if it takes 20 some years?  If it is worth attaining, it is worth the time.  

I certainly didn't misunderstand what he said. He made a claim:

"for what its worth i doubt anyone who cant shut the #1 out of the bag will reach the #3"

For what it's worth, I disagree.  I think no less of Scott or his point of views. :D I see it took him much longer to handle the #1 than it did I.  I don't know anything about his size or strength, but I know a lot about mine. I consider myself quite weak at the moment.  I weight a 150lbs and I've just now started working out again (the past few months). If you saw my lifts you'd probably laugh [if you'd like to know, you can PM me. I'm not embarrassed] :)  But I know my strength will be rising, so that is where my confidence lies!

So let that be a lesson! Never try to ascertain intent from mere text.   :hehe

I bet it's my "devil" avatar, isn't it? #### me and my horns!

For probably >90% of the population, lifting is a LONG TERM thing.    That is, you can count on spending as much as 20 years to get to  some of your goals, whatever they are. Doug Hepburn started out like a regular kid 5'9" 145lbs & he ended up being (IMHO) the best presser there ever was. (like 335x10, 405x4 & 450x1 @ >300lbs) Paul Anderson was the opposite though. Peary Rader wrote that Anderson would have been really strong whether he lifted weights or not & it still took him a lifetime to squat 1200 (900-something if you ask Roark). The point is, get to whatever goals you set for yourself, whether they're short-term or long-term. If you close a #3 sometime in your life, that's a big crush, nobody cares about how long it took. The important thing is that you did it. Like I said somewhere else, we're in this because we love the training, not because of what's at the end. We spend too much time in training to dislike it so much that we will give up on whatever we really want to do. I think that's what really matters.

I know that if it took me 20 years to close the #3, I would probably give up.  That's way too long of a time to achieve that goal.... however if that's your time plan, go for it.

I do know this:  the #2 was a cakewalk compared the #3.  I had to really TRAIN HARD to shut the #3.  I knew if I did my time, and trained consistently and made positive gains, the #3 would fall... and it did.

I meant you MIGHT have to train for 20 yrs. It might take that long & it might not depending on who you are. The point is, it's a long term thing.

Cool topic.

When I got my Trainer, about 2 months ago, I could almost close it, I was millimeters from closing the sucker. It just seemed tougher at those last millimeters... Now, I can do 3 sets of 20 reps with the gripper, so I thought it was time to upgrade to the #1. I'm in the same boat with the #1; I'm millimeters from closing it. I'm so close, I can taste it.

I've never really had any experience with grip training at all. All I've down was lift weights but I was never dedicated for long periods of time. Ever since I've started using my grippers, I've really got into grip training and over all hand development. I have more exercises for my grip then I've ever used for any other body part in my body. The hand is a bundle of complicated muscles... It's awesome.

I will close the #1 in a couple of months...

Guest 115-1005574997

I hate to be opinionated and talk about myself but feel i should explain what im on about.....

Faz

Thanks mate :)  Your right when you said i was only trying to share my experience not tell someone whats going to happen to them or dis them in any way.  If you want to shut the #3 go for it, give it your all and bust a gut!!!

BUT

Sometimes you simply aren’t able to achieve the goals you set yourself.  Due to injury, biomechanical configurations, age, genetics etc sometimes, some people cant do what they WANT.

Now before anyone has a go at me listen.

In order to prevent disappointment, dejection, failure (if you cant reach a target you’ve set your heart on, you have failed!!)  

Don’t simply set 'realistic' goals (even these can be unrealistic) BUT think about WHY YOU LIFT.  Its what Nathan was talking about (and your right mate 100%).  If your overriding priority is for fun and goals and/or competitions secondary, you can never fail.  you will never become disappointed.  you wont ever want to quit lifting.  If your primary aim of training is to achieve a goal and your not satisfied until you have reached it, then you'll be the most miserable, uncontented lifter in the gym!!

Took me 7 years, to figure that one out!!!

So dont cut yourself up if you fail to pinch 2x45's or lift the inch DB or close the #3.  when your 90 years old and your grandkids think your the worlds strongest man you can say "I gave it my best shot and enjoyed my lifting.... no regrets".

The alternative is to look back and only see failure "I didnt get the #3 i didnt get the 2x45 i didn’t get, didnt get etc etc"

I hope you surpass all expectations and become a grip legend (like Faz will one day.... no pressure mate  ;)

But please bear what MIGHT be the alternative!!

Hope that’s not too depressing :)

Guest Canthar

Yikes, opened a can of worms here I guess.

Christian, your drive and determination is definitly not being missed here. Keep it up.

Scott, I do appreciate your experience aswell. Sometimes a more humble and for some a realistic point of view can be hard to swallow.

Just keep pushing and you WILL get there. Some people may get there faster others will get there slower but, I am firm believer that if you want it bad enough and will put in enough time and effort you can and will get it.

Nic

I'd really like to know how many #3 grippers that Ironmind has sold, and then you can compare that to the current COC list.

Not everyone will close the #3.  Anyone care to take odds on the percentage of guys who get a #3 and are able to close it?

I firmly believe that ANYONE with the proper training and goals can close the #3.  The #3 is not easy; you haffta TRAIN HARD!

I remember the first time I tried a close on the #3 (I couldn't close the #2 yet).  THE THING FELT LIKE A ROCK!  There was no way I was gonna close it!  After I had closed the #2 did I feel I might have a chance.  I got the Kinney video, and got his machine shortly after that.  Working with heavy weights on the SW taught me about PAIN.  The rest, as we say, is history.

Snott,

You think everyone who can close a three will bother to get certified ?  I doubt it.  I wouldn't bother unless they threw in a free T-shirt or something.

I wouldn't bother unless they threw in a free T-shirt or something.

They give you a free Captains of Crush T-shirt and a nice certificate. :hehe

I firmly believe that ANYONE with the proper training and goals can close the #3.  The #3 is not easy; you haffta TRAIN HARD!

Do you really think everyone has the genetic potential to close the 3? Does everyone have the potential to

bench 400

run a marathon under 2:30

Break 9 hours in the Ironman Triathlon

I say no. Not everyone has potential in all athletic events. Most people do have potential in one area, but does everyone have potential in crushing strength? I doubt it.

The other possibility is that the 3 is so easy everyone has the potential to close it. Everyone can at least bench, run a marathon and do an Ironman. It might take well over a very good time or well under a very good weight, however.

But I don't think the 3 is that easy. If it was the list of people that have closed it would be much longer.

I don't think EVERYONE has the potential to close a 3. It would be very interesting to see what % could, however!

Apdweler,

Why don't you look at it this way.  Would you agree that every american (under 30yrs old) can learn to speak and write Japanese?  Barring the mentally handicapped, most people would agree with that statement.  However, it would take most adults a substantial amount of time to master another language, especially one such as Japanese.  In fact many people would give up before they understood basic sentence structure.  Does that mean they are incapable?  The #3 is attainable for most, if they are willing to put the time into it and not accept failure as an option.  I will concede that most people would need some kind of base in whole body strength before they start heavy gripwork, but it can be achieved.  Perhaps my own opinions about this subject are a bit biased, but I am a firm believer in the human potential--for anything.

Guest Canthar

I think anyone can attain any of those, not at the same time obviously as the training is different. Human potential is virtually limitless, genetics play a role in appearance and how easy it may be for one person to do one thing or another. Anyone, ANYONE can do any of your examples if they have the willpower and drive to do so...

Nic

Canthar - There is more to everything than will and drive. Many of the genetically guifted heavyweight strength athletes would probably destroy their bodies through injury long before running a sub 2:30 marathon. Can you really see Mark Henry or Paul Anderson running sub 2:30? I know for a fact that I couldn't run sub 2:30!!!!!!!! It's way more than desire, it's physiology!

Mike M.

Maybe 2:30 is a bit fast. 3: 00 is more like it. I think that with enough training someone could do a 3: 00 marathon. Andrei Chemerkin would have to lose all that fat he's got & get all his muscle to atrophy, but he could do a 3: 00 marathon of he wanted to, just like anyone else could.