Gripper 'oiling'

Fuel Crusher

After only recently starting to concentrate on my grip (used to be a heavy strap user I'm afraid), I purchased the CoC trainer and then this week the No 1. I noticed when I use the trainer there is a creak when I crush it, not so much with the No1 but then the squeeze is a lot slower and I can't quite close it :(. Now my question is this, the creak is obviously friction in the spring and with friction usually being bad, it's one of the reasons free weights are better than machines, I thought of giving the spring a bit of oil. It might not make a difference to the effort required but I thought it might make the squeeze smoother. Has anybody done this or is it not the 'done' thing? although miles out of my reach would it void a No3 attempt if the gripper were oiled? Sorry if this topic is a bit lame but I was curious.

FC

I oil mine all the time.  When they're in my basement or dorm room they get surface rust on the springs.  With the new grippers they do have a creak in them, just put some WD-40 or some gun oil on them.  If it affects the pressure to close it's so minimal you'll never notice.

Fuel Crusher,

Take an old toothbrush, and lightly put some WD-40 on it.  Then work it in the hole of the spring, and outside as well.  This works better because you are not getting any oil/lube on the gripper handle.  Hope this helps!  :)

White Lightning is supposed to be the preferred lubricant for bicycle chains, torsion springs, tools, and knives. I have never used it but I may try it in the future. The IGC may want to consider setting a standard for acceptable lubrication substances to be used on grippers and grip tools with moving parts.

Hey, FC

Lubing is a maintenance procedure that should be done on a regular basis. You are not making things easier; you are making things the way they are supposed to be. The momentary IP will not change. Unnecessary and varying friction will affect the ride, though. You might find it a distraction, too.

John