Concentration Curls -- What Can People Do?

G-Man

I took FIVE months off from doing the heavy concentration curls - largely due to sore elbows and to focus on doing heavy pull-ups. While my strength exploded with the pull-ups, this DIDN’T translate very well to the curls.

From memory, this is what I did:

35-minutes on stairclimber

75 x 10

75 x 10

65 + 60 chain x 8R/4L

85 + 60 chain x 5R

85 + 120 chain x 1 (missed!)

85 + 120 chain x 1 (missed!)

85 + 60 chain x 4R

65 + 60 chain x 8R

I am almost embarrassed to post the above - but I will leave it up as a benchmark of where I default to with no arm training in five months.

Actually, I am taking down my 207 x 5R forced/partials from my YouTube page, as I was clearly not in fighting shape when I filmed that.

Going forward, I am going back to the thick bar curls and will focus on many, many sets of the 85 + 60 chain for 5-8 reps until my strength comes back. Then it will be many, many sets of 65 + 120 chain x 5-8 reps – then hopefully, many sets of 85 + 120 chain x 5-8 reps.

Two important points to remember:

• Heavy pull-ups WILL help get you past a curling sticking point if you alternate them every other week with your curls
  • Doing heavy pull-ups alone without doing curls for many months might likely knock your curling ability down

Edited by G-Man

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G-Man

• pawel r

• fightertrainer

• mobsterone

Why not post the numbers of your heavy pullups G-Man? :)

I don't have video of that just yet - they have rules around here about posting things without supporting it with video. I did post my weighted pull-up training on the Northeast board though.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it pretty common practice for most "curling" type movement to be done with a thumbless grip? It makes sense mechanically, just curious...

• 4 weeks later...

I think my arm strength is back now - could have easily gotten 10-12+ with 85 + 60 chain today but stuck with six reps so as to not burn out right away:

Thick Bar Concentration Curl

75 x 10

75 x 10

65 + 60 chain x 8R/6L

85 + 60 chain x 6R

85 + 60 chain x 6R

85 + 60 chain x 6R

85 + 60 chain x 6R

85 + 60 chain x 6R

85 + 60 chain x 6R

85 + 60 chain x 5R

65 + 60 chain x 8R/1L

65 + 60 chain x 3L

Very happy with how today went and am EXHAUSTED now - got the SIX sets of SIX with 85 + 60 I was aiming for.

Next, I will shoot for SEVEN sets or SEVEN and then EIGHT sets of EIGHT with 85 + 60. Then it will be FIVE sets of FIVE with 65 + 120, SIX sets of SIX, SEVEN sets of SEVEN and so forth. I'd love to be able to get those kind of sets and reps with 115 + 60 - and when I can rep with 115 + 120 - I know it will be time to find an Inch contest and give it a try ... :rock

Edited by G-Man