Slow Reps

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Today when I finished my grip work, I thought I would try somthing new,At least new for me. I took my #2 ,which is very easy, And did 30 second reps. That is 15 seconds to close and 15 seconds to open. I thought they where great ! Has anyone done these before ?

Nope, I've done 3-5 secs, but never 15, ####, I don't think I could do 15 sec reps.  If it works, go with it.....

I used to do them in a 10sec pos 2sec hold 10 sec neg fashion. It works well but I think this works a bit better. First 4 reps slow and controlled (this is for safety. A fresh muscle can produce power that can exceeds the tensile strength of the muscle or muscle attachments) then all the rest of the reps- until positive failure- close as fast as possible. This forces the muscle to produce max power output at that moment in time. Opening as slow as possible if this is 10 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec so be it. Close fast open slow. This is a rep scheme suggested by Arthur Jones. I call it negative accentuated training. Most of the time I take this even further by doing forced negative reps until failure all in one set. I do only one set per exercise and I use this for all my other lifting in the gym. In my opinion it works very well.