"international Rules"

Bob Lipinski

Great stuff Bob. Thanks for taking the time to put that all together. I think DO bending would be sorely missed by a lot of people if it wasn't allowed or recognized in the big grip contests though.

My personal opinion is that DO bending isn't much of a grip strength test - maybe it's the way I do it but it's much more dependent on other body parts than the hands, wrists or forearms. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy it - I just do not find the limiting factor to have much to do with my grip.

The two brands of vbars do in fact differ significantly in performance. I tested them back to back as well as alternating between the two from one week to another and I consistently pulled more on the FBBC vbar. The difference was about 3-4 %. The build up of chalk on two LGC vbars will vary, mainly based on the average humidity. It is however, better to eliminate one variable out of two than to eliminate none. Unless you have done a similar study, you don't really know what you are talking about.
I think not allowing the FBBC vbar is silly. Unless you control the amount of chalk buildup...and good luck with that, the diameter argument is dead in the water. Their both steel bars with stoppers on the end and when they're coated in chalk. There's no difference because chalk is chalk. It's not like someone takes a micrometer and attempts to control the amount of chalk buildup on the bar before each attempt.

Josh

You're a just a little biased on this subject so you'll have to forgive me if I don't think too much of your "study". It's funny how there were several top Vbar lifters at BBB2 and none of them pulled anywhere close to what they did with the "official" LGC bar they used at GGC. The part of the bar you grip on both bars is coated in chalk and there is no control as to how much. Seasoning, not the bar, as BBB2 showed, is what makes the difference. Therefor, all your specs don't mean a thing. I'd love to see you put a blindfold on and just grab the end of a highly seasoned FBBC and LGC bar and tell me which is which.

Josh, wasn't the v-bar the last event at BBB?

I felt the same way you did before i got to use both. Dave let me borrow his for about 6 weeks and now i own both of them and from my experience the euro is harder.

You are missing my point again. It is better to eliminate one variable (different steel interact differently with the chalk/human detritus, not to mention the different diameter which is, regardless of what you say, significant if the two bars are kept in the same environment) than to eliminate none. It is pointless, in this context, comparing two brand of vbars unless you keep them in the same environment (i.e., temperature and humidity) and test them back to back. No one is denying the fact that two LGC vbar will feel somewhat different if they are kept in different environments. This we can basically do nothing about. I know what I am talking about as I have both brands of vbars kept in the same environment. Ryan knows what he is talking about as he also own both brands. Both of us have come to the same conclusion.

The two brands of vbars do in fact differ significantly in performance. I tested them back to back as well as alternating between the two from one week to another and I consistently pulled more on the FBBC vbar. The difference was about 3-4 %. The build up of chalk on two LGC vbars will vary, mainly based on the average humidity. It is however, better to eliminate one variable out of two than to eliminate none. Unless you have done a similar study, you don't really know what you are talking about.
I think not allowing the FBBC vbar is silly. Unless you control the amount of chalk buildup...and good luck with that, the diameter argument is dead in the water. Their both steel bars with stoppers on the end and when they're coated in chalk. There's no difference because chalk is chalk. It's not like someone takes a micrometer and attempts to control the amount of chalk buildup on the bar before each attempt.

Josh

You're a just a little biased on this subject so you'll have to forgive me if I don't think too much of your "study". It's funny how there were several top Vbar lifters at BBB2 and none of them pulled anywhere close to what they did with the "official" LGC bar they used at GGC. The part of the bar you grip on both bars is coated in chalk and there is no control as to how much. Seasoning, not the bar, as BBB2 showed, is what makes the difference. Therefor, all your specs don't mean a thing. I'd love to see you put a blindfold on and just grab the end of a highly seasoned FBBC and LGC bar and tell me which is which.

Mikael,

If I purchase steel of the same type as used in making the LGC v-bar and the Euro Pinch, and follow all of the dimensions as laid out in other posts to replicate as near as possible the implements you use. Would you then accept lifts done on that equipment (in acceptable contests with calibrated wegihts, etc.) for your "Top" lists?

If you can show some document verifying your purchase; then yes. Would possibly be difficult with the pinch at the moment though as I am not sure David knows exactly what steel the discs are made of.

Mikael,

If I purchase steel of the same type as used in making the LGC v-bar and the Euro Pinch, and follow all of the dimensions as laid out in other posts to replicate as near as possible the implements you use. Would you then accept lifts done on that equipment (in acceptable contests with calibrated wegihts, etc.) for your "Top" lists?

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I have the information Mikael posted and will have the steel retailer that I deal with locally look into it for us as Aaron says they will only give a quote to a "store". The metric steel place is in Toledo, Ohio - not sure how far Stew is from there but maybe he could check into it. I also have a vendors license - if they would sell to me and Stew could pick it up, no shipping and some savings there. Inch steel comes in 12' sections (five v-bars due to the loss from cutting) - we'll have to see what standard lengths are in this stock. Cutting and welding would be easy of course as will the base plate. Documentation in the form of a purchase receipt would be easy enough to provide.

I'm only about an hour I get that way alot for work let me know what you come up with.