Rope Climbing For Armwrestling

JamesG

Another member of this board finally talked me into climbing rope for armwrestling. What do the rest of you think? Has it helped your pulling? Also any advice for a fatty who cant climb the rope would be great as well. Thanks guys!

JP

I think it depends on what kind of arm wrestling style you have, but yes i think it would work very well. Couple various angles to pull so depends on that too. done the typical way it will help a hook type person more. if you can do it with your palms facing away from you then it would be an awesome top roll exercise, but would be very hard to do...which is why i guess it would be awesome...haha

Are you a puller? Ive heard the same thing about the rope climbing helping the hook type puller. Hopefully some other guys will jump in.

am i a puller? well...i would have to say yes and no. I just started and there isn't any organized arm wrestling that goes on here. so i'm kind of in it all on my own. i've practiced with people weaker than i, but while they have not made me stronger per se...i have learned some technique and how to pull( or push ) as i said in my only other post about tricep involvement. i use my triceps a lot more than i used to. using my tricep has helped me get people into a hook instead of relying strictly on my wrists. as far as rope climbing goes...i ain't anywhere near strong enough to do that. i'm kind of a big guy...and more fat then anything...so pull ups in general are very hard.

but i study things that i see and how they work, and by looking at the way you would pull yourself up the rope, you can see why it would be more useful to a hook person. if you are very strong and can pull yourself up the rope with your palms away from you i can see why that would be great for a top roller.

you want to try a real challenge...try to pull with a hammer curl kind of grip...that would be an awesome hook exercise with rope climbing. I like trainging with a rope on pulling exercises for grip work. i just discovered this when i last joined the gym. doing cable rows with a rope that would normally be done for rope pressdowns for tri's. i tried pulling with various grips. wierdly enough i didn't try to pull with my palms up. i did it with my hands facing each other of course grabbin the rope. then when i would pull it i would try to pull with my hand in a hammer position...so the rope would come into my hand through the thumb and forefinger and the end of the rope by the pinky. so when trying to pull with my thumb and forefinger up like a hammer curl the weight will pull your wrist down from on top. the other grip i tried was with the rope coming into my hand from the pinky with the end coming out the top of my hand. again trying to pull with a hammer type grip. this time the rope is trying to open your hand up from the pinky up. these are very hard on your hands. i didn't get to work much with these as my membership ran out. but i will definitly will use and incorporate more rope work.

am i a puller? well...i would have to say yes and no. I just started and there isn't any organized arm wrestling that goes on here. so i'm kind of in it all on my own.

Were do you live? I bet I can find someone near you to train with. I am going to the "Arnold Classic" tonight and be back on Monday but leave me you info and I will try to find someone on Monday.

Keep Training

Bob

I live on the Big Island of Hawaii...good luck...hahahaha There may be something going on on another island which i would be happy to find as well, but as far as practicing all the time...that would just be to costly. I mean, maybe you know of a retired arm wrestler that may live in Hilo, on the Big Island...usually people from the mainland will come here to retire. Oahu, is like the states...one of the reasons i don't like it. But Bob, i would really appreciate it if you could find someone here to train with.

i'm just starting so i'm not very strong...though quite a big guy. i mean i'm not weak, i can bench 300+lbs not training for a year. but that's just my natural strength. I know curling strength as far as lifting goes isn't everything...which is good for me...hahaha.

i would like armwrestlers to meet more and more armwrestlers and pull with them to see where i'm at. If i started training now i think it would be atleast a year or so before being able to compete. i'd have to lose some weight. i'm 5'7" and 300lbs....yeah. i'd also have to use platform shoes i think. i'm 300lbs, but i can still do about 4-5 pullups and 40 straight push ups. not horrible shape, but yeah. i'm just a big guy...which kinda sucks because the guys i would go up against....yeah....hahaha that's why i said a year or so of training. so bob please get back to me if you can find someone near me. i'd still be happy if they were even on another island.

email me at blt7791@hotmail.com anyone else that knows someone can also email me or if you just wanna chat it up is fine with me.

• 3 months later...

If you have trouble climbing a rope, cut two pieces, throw them over your chin bar, and do chins holding them.

I also do this with bath towels, it forces your hand open, and time under tension is as long as the set of course.

Most all fat handle work, and the other things most people do here are a good tool for crossover into armwrestling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Climbing rope has helped me a LOT with armwrestling. I don't seem to get that pain in my inner elbow at all since I've started.

Suggestion, try to keep your hands no higher than head hight when climbing as you do not armwrestle with you arms in a higher position.

• 2 months later...