What got you started in Gripping?

Guest scotte

Guest scotte

So what got you guys into gripping?  

A few too many injurys caused by poor powerlifting form opened up a world of fun where I could give 100% effort on max singles and still come back for more.  Articles by David H in Hardgainer and the endless variety of challenging lifts made me want to keep going.

But what about you guys?

A back injury from working with ladders landed me in a desk job, where I've gotten "soft".  CoC is part of my entry into the world of physical training / rehab.

My interest started about 20 -25 years ago when I was involved in wrestling. I read stories about guys who could do seemingly impossible things with the strength of their hands. However, I had little access to information on training specifically for hand strength and I was not creative enough to get started without it. I did the standard stuff (wrist curls, cheap grippers) but never anything fanatical, or even very productive, until I started rock climbing about 10+ years ago. Even then it was all sport specific, climbing related training. The big moment came about two years ago when I stumbled upon the Iron Mind web site by pure accident. It was a life changing moment. I ordered Coach Brookfield's book, a set of grippers and a Rolling Thunder. I continued to search the web and found Mr. Black's page ... he directed me to this site ... now I'm hooked pretty bad and wouldn't dream of missing a hand workout. And happily, some of those impossible feats don't seem so impossible anymore (and some of them seem even more impossible!!!!).

Mike

Guest Jay Ansuini

Similar to Scotte, bseedot, and AnimalCage, I got into grip work after an injury.  Two actually.  My first year in college I herniated two disks in my lower back, thus ending my lacrosse career.  I began to read a lot of material on strength training and some on grip work.  About 8 months after the injury I was able to work out with machines to get into some kind of shape.  Just when I started to make some really noteable gains I tore cartilage in my sternum and it has currently been 19 months since I have lifted a weight.  To make a long story short, I was going crazy without being able to exercise (even jogging was out of the question) and I needed something to do.  I went on a trip to visit my best friend from high school Scott Clayton (also on this board) and he had the #1 CoC.  I picked up the #1 and my journey into the grip world began.  I am currently recovering from surgery to correct the torn cartilage and I have made some great gains in the meantime.  I am about 1/2"-1/4" away from the #3 and I bent  a screwdriver last week.  I hopefully will be released by my doctor on 7/26, at which point I would like to start trying farmers walks and large diameter barbell lifts (anybody have a big handled bar they reccommend? Apollon's Axle etc.?)

Jay

I got into grip training about 3 years ago after I read Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik, and the sections in the book about gripping intrigued me.  Especially the part about the grippers, and how tough they were.  It was the challenge of closing the #3 that got me into it.

Well,

My reason is a little different. I did it b-c of nutrition. I decided to go on the "Caveman Diet".

I found out that in order to be a true "Caveman" you had to be able to grab the woman of your choice, by thier hair  and take back to your place to claim them.

Well, I had never trained grip before sooo..wouldt you know --they just kept getting away.

But since I've started training grip they cant get awy as easy.

I just use my club(sledge hammer) that I usually lever:)

Just kidding

Ben