Wrist Curls

Guest sheriff

Guest sheriff

I've heard that table top wrist curls are one of the most effective exercises for training the wrists, but I have no idea how to do them correctly.

Could someone please give me a detailed explanation of the proper way to do this exercise.

David Horne is the all-time king of the table top wrist curls.  He would be the best to answer your question.

Yes, Table Top Wrist Curls are a great exercise for wrist flexion, especially good for arm wrestling. Simply put, the exercise is performed by wrist curling an olympic barbell on top of a STRONG table top. It is basically half of a normal wrist curl. You can perform it thumbless or with a normal grip, but I would advise using a thumbless grip so that you are not fighting against your thumb. You need a pair of good spotters for this exercise.

More importantly, if you are a novice then stick to ordinary wrist curls for a while, before trying these.

David

Are the hands off the edge of the table or on the table ? Seems to me that the hands would be hurt if they lie on the table with a lot of weight in hands.

Guest sheriff

I also am not clear on whether the hands & wrists hang off the table or remain flat on the surface of the table.

I'm not getting a clear picture of how this exercise is done. Do you lay your whole arm flat on the table, or just from the elbow down?

Why are spotters necessary to perform this exercise, are you suppose to go as heavy as possible?

I've looked all over the internet, and just can't find a detailed explanation on how to correctly perform table top wrist curls.

Also, could someone explain to me how to do plate wrist curls?

Firstly, forget Table top and plate wrist curls till you have done a few months training with ordinary wrist curls. Yes, they are performed with your forearm and hand on top of the table. You then curl your hands off it.

David

There is a great picture of Mr. Horne performing a table top wrist curl in his first Iron Grip issue (I think it's the first one).

BC.