Benefits Of Isometric Bending?

twig

Are there any? I don't mean against the next nail in your progression, which you might have a chance at moving, but is it worth wrapping up a nail you know is far too much steel for you and grunting and groaning and straining like billy-o to try and put a kink in it?

There certainly was for me. Ben Edwards has a whole program based off of it. It took me from a 60d to G8

I would take the next bar i could not bend at that particular time say a Shiny Bastard and would kink 3-4 of them to various degrees i would then carry them around with me and just use a pair of 2"x2"crush pads made out of a 3mms thick belt i would then just do 10 second isos on these bars throughout the day.

seemed to work for me.

The sad thing is that so many bends are isometric for me :angry:

• Like 1

Are there any? I don't mean against the next nail in your progression, which you might have a chance at moving, but is it worth wrapping up a nail you know is far too much steel for you and grunting and groaning and straining like billy-o to try and put a kink in it?

Definitely! It's something I do quite a bit of these days. It has helped me kink stock that I don't have a chance of ever crushing down. But the stronger you get on the kink, the more energy you're going to have left over to get something to the sweep and finished on the crushdown. That's how I look at it.

The sad thing is that so many bends are isometric for me :angry:

Says a red nail bender.

poor you, lol

Alot of old-time strongmen believed is such isometrics. I used it alot with long bar bending when I very first got started and now I definately agree that it helps with the nails and other short bends. I've always understood that it really helps tendon strength which is a must with this kind of bending.

Tim

Let me give you a personal scenario about bending and benching. I have lifted very little wieghts in my life all although I always have had good intentions (thats worth something isn't it). Well this happened over a year ago and that was the first time I had got on a bench in years and unfortunately the last time but this is the story. I am going to try to make this short and to the point for own conclusion (warning run on sentences ahead). I met an old friend at the gym he went to well he was finishing up his workout and we agreed to let me get down there on the bench and see how bad I could embarrass myself. First I went for 225 then he asked about putting another couple 10 plates on when I said put on another 45 on each side for 315 well this kept up until I pressed 345 pounds and by that time decided I had pressed my luck far enough. Now remember that part about me not benching in years and 345lb was well past my max from years earlier but I strange thing is I had started bending and that was all I had done. You be the judge - I tend to think that the isometric movement had a dramatic effect on my strength level. No it wasn't a big bench but it was interesting knowing that bending had to be the main reason for the lift.

Edited by GatorGrip

I almost never intentionally perform isometrics, but I believe the times I've "accidentally" performed them were a great boost to my bending. They seem to really toughen you up, both mentally and physically.

I think it is pretty darn helpful. I haven't done too much of it, but what I have done did help. I also used this with phonebooks by accident. At work I was put on the spot to rip a phonebook, which I had only done one normal big book before. Well after about 8 minutes I finally got through the whole thing. Every since then I have been going through phonebooks without much of a problem. I also just had a long struggle with some square stock and I'm sure I will melt it and the next few bends withouth much trouble next time.

I'm a n00b to bending, but I know a little about Sports Science. As such, my thoughts are...

The parametric relationship between maximal force production and the maximal speed of muscular contraction is well documented.

The speed at which a muscle shortens and the force it produces during this action are parameters of one another i.e. they typically share an inverse relationship. A muscle can produce higher force outputs under maximal eccentric ('negative shortening') conditions than maximal isometric ('zero shortening') conditions and can produce higher force outputs under maximal isometric conditions than maximal concentric conditions.

Long story short, isometric training against a nail will rapidly yield increases in force output within a very specific range of joint angles i.e. in the position of the nail against which you are doing this isometric training (assuming the relevant joint angles remain fixed during the isometric contraction). However, some caveats regarding this kind of training must be noted.

1) Isometric training can be very neurologically demanding and one must be very careful to avoid overusing it.

2) Improvements in strength will be highly specific to the angle of the nail on which you are training. As such, isometric nail bending should preferably be performed at the nail angle at which you are weakest i.e. if your mini-max during heavy bending occurs during the initial kink, isometric bending against a straight nail will be ideal. If not, you may need to artificially bend a supramaximal nail to an angle more appropriate to your specific weakness to receive the full benefits of isometric bending.

Edited by Ian Turek