2007 January - 2006 Year in Review - climber511

climber511

This year I turned 58 years old. I got my first set of weights in 1959 – you do the math.

I worked out with weights 158 times this year with various routines. Everything from a 5 minute grip workout to a 2 hour full body session to a contest is included in this number.

I set 32 or so PRs. Some brand new – some improvements on old lifts. A few of which I am fairly proud of.

For a minute or so, I held an open class World Record on the FBBC Bomb lift. It didn’t last long but it was pretty cool there for a minute. I may be tied for it again at this point, I’m not sure. I’ve heard rumors of a HUGE bomb lift having been done….

I have 48 items checked off the 60-60 list now. I still have twelve items to go to reach my goal and a year and 8 months to do it. The list has morphed somewhat with many more goals having been added.

I did 4 grip contests this year, having more and more fun at each one.

I went to one Strength Picnic get together. Atomic Athlete’s Great Black Swamp Picnic – great time!

I did one sort of contest at my Gripmas Carol get together. We had nine contestants and even had spectators – how about that? Two of my sons also competed in it with me, now that is awesome! I want to make it into a real contest next year.

I climbed indoors 28 times.

I climbed 14 days outdoors this year – sad – sad.

I did some type of aerobic workout 69 times this year. Most were pretty easy but I did some heart rate monitor weight training that was pretty good stuff. My fitness level climbed extremely quickly – I recommend this method of training highly.

I did Astanga Yoga about 32 times – again sad – I need much more of this. Much more!

I suffered one injury to my lower back – and had pneumonia once. Both sucked but seem to have left no lasting effects except for a little fear left over on max dead lifts and big

v-bar lifts.

Frankyboy visited me and showed me how to bend – after which I made some big, big jumps in my bending progress. That Franky can teach now!

I’m now on the Gripboard Red bend cert list.

I’m now on FBBC’s Bastard bend cert list.

I dropped just off the top 50 list for V-Bar – I guess I should work on that one.

I’m tied for 13th on the all time 2 hand Euro pinch and in the top ten on the rolling list.

I gave back to the sport by working the Olympic lifting at the Arnold Classic 3 days.

I made a lot of new friends at the various contests and get togethers.

I learned a lot from other people that I hope will help my training in the future. Thanks everyone!

And I appeared on the IronMind website – something I never dreamed would ever happen to an old man that just works out in his garage.

I built, bought, sold or modified several pieces of training equipment including making the Leverage Squat machine I came up with. I’ve made some exceptional progress using it so far – it treats my low back very kindly and my quads not quite so kindly. It took me almost 50 years to find a way to squat heavy without bothering my lower back any and still go to rock bottom. I’m a slow learner I guess.

My family and I are still healthy and happy – we have enough but not so much that we can’t still enjoy having to save for whatever it is that we want.

Well, if you have the health and the love of your family - you can do anything!

Thanks for sharing Chris.

Smitty - Thankfully I seem to have both so I'm gonna try to hang in there for another year just to keep you younguns on your toes. My family has been so supportive of all my crazy hobbies over the years - I could never have done anything without them.

Edited by climber511

Chris

Like David said a great monday morning read and very inspiring :rock

A big congrats on hitting both ehe Ironmind and Bastard lists :rock

Great writeup Chris.

Was nice to be with you and Tee but oh so short.

Glad I could give you some little pointers on the bending.

Good I didn't do that before the BBB2. :tongue

Lets see a bunch of new PRs in 2007!