Tried To Calibrate The Super Galaxy

handgripperman

Enjoyed reading that! :tongue Imo nothing tougher than a BB pro will ever be closed by a human.

I think whatever a flush mounted, standard spread GE is would be the strongest gripper closeable - ever!

I think the Pro will be closed, maybe even the world class. I have used my Pro for extended handle negs and can quite easily hold it at 1/2'' for 5 seconds after closing it with bodyweight assist.

I think the Pro will be closed, maybe even the world class. I have used my Pro for extended handle negs and can quite easily hold it at 1/2'' for 5 seconds after closing it with bodyweight assist.

Yeah, but this GE that I felt is like a rock to any gripper I've handled.

get it calibrated! I know of BBSEs that are harder than a #4 so i can imagine BBGEs being really tough. I have never tried a BBGE.

how about everyone trys to see if they can work up to closing any of these super grippers with two hands??

I don't even think galaxy and super galaxy can be closed in a chest crush. I have repped the HG500 in chest crush an the 3.25'' spread galaxy is lucky to move an inch.

I don't think they can be closed period. The spring size is rediculous and clearly not meant for the application it is being put to. I think parallel is the absolute maximum that a human can get them down to in a chest crush. I fully believe that the grippers themselves are incapable of closing so the handles are touching.

Why is nothing harder than BBPRO not possible to close? Seems like once you get beyond the #4 or Pro...there are huge jumps in spring size? why not make grippers that have spring sizes only slightly more than those....and progressively make them harder just like the BBA, BBSA, BBM, etc...once the difference in spring size and so on is only slightly more than you cant say for certainty what is not possible....obviously when you have huge leaps in spring size then it becomes absurd...

having a gripper with a .5 spring is cool paperweight....but so is a brick...bricks are cheaper....

wait?! could someone explain why i thought it took around 280 to close the no. 3 any yet it only takes 195 to close the 3.5? im confused.

i assume u double it, like the table does half the worker and the weight the other half. idk though

IM (and maybe more accurately Richard Sorin) measured the original poundages from the middle of the handle. The Redneck Gripper Calibrator measures the poundage from the end of the handle for exact reason you noticed...it takes less weight. On the RGC, the average #3 is coming in at about 150lbs as compared to the 195lbs for the #4.

Great story, Bussi!

Kevin,

Did you calibrate any of the grippers that were used in the November 11 contest? I am curious if there were "guesstimates" used in the contest (3.6, 3.8), and how they compared to what you measured.

I suppose I am interested in how an experienced grip guy's estimate of a gripper compares to a real measurement.

I think there were 2 RB300s of yours used in the contest.

Hubgeezer

Why is nothing harder than BBPRO not possible to close? Seems like once you get beyond the #4 or Pro...there are huge jumps in spring size? why not make grippers that have spring sizes only slightly more than those....and progressively make them harder just like the BBA, BBSA, BBM, etc...once the difference in spring size and so on is only slightly more than you cant say for certainty what is not possible....obviously when you have huge leaps in spring size then it becomes absurd...

having a gripper with a .5 spring is cool paperweight....but so is a brick...bricks are cheaper....

It's because even slight increases can mean the difference bwtween a 4.1 and a 4.4!

Kevin,

Did you calibrate any of the grippers that were used in the November 11 contest? I am curious if there were "guesstimates" used in the contest (3.6, 3.8), and how they compared to what you measured.

I suppose I am interested in how an experienced grip guy's estimate of a gripper compares to a real measurement.

I think there were 2 RB300s of yours used in the contest.

Hubgeezer

umm I was a tad off with the RB330, it came out to be a 3.6. my RB300 used was a 3.43 I think I rated it a 3.4 in the contest. I can't remember if we used my RB 260 but that came out to be a 3.22.

I have calibrated a "galaxy" gripper, it closed at 490lbs it has like a 2 5/8 spread. that is 8.76 on the ironmind scale.

Edited by handgripperman

This story reminds me of a phone conversation with Warren, where he offered me a gripper with a 1/2" spring...

Nice close on the 3.5!!!

After watching the video this thought popped into my mind: maybe tearing a new gripper out of the package would be a good way to train grip as you seemed to struggle more with that than the actual close :tongue

• 2 years later...

That story is AWESOME!

Thanks for sharing!

I had to start laughing just picturing all that iron come tumbling

down and over, through the wall and into your neighbors apartment.

Best story I've heard on the GB to date.