Tried To Calibrate The Super Galaxy

handgripperman

well I decided to calibrate some grippers today. I calibrated the 3.5 that I closed out of the package. This one http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...si&img=5149. To my suprise it was calibrated at 195lbs (3.78). The RB300 of doom was 187.5 (3.65). custom RB365 250 (4.75s) RB300 stealth 195 (3.78). So I decided to try the "Super Galaxy" 2 3/4 spread :calm . so I started with 225lbs on the loading pin and went from there, with 225lbs it moved about a 1/4. I had my dad help me stack weights on the loading pin. (the whole time my dad said this is a stupid idea and dangerous). But if you know me that goes in one ear and right out the other. ;) . So we stacked 6, 25lb plates on the 225lbs, The super galaxy bairly moved :laugh then we stacked 2 35s on and it didn't budge. at this point the spread of the super galaxy was about 2 1/4 :mellow so we finally put two more 35s onto the total so that's a grand total of 515lbs. right when we let go of the 35s the whole power rack tipped over almost killing me and my dad :laugh . The power rack crashed into my neighbors wall with a big BOOM !!!!. ( I live in a apartment and there is a wall that seperates my garage with my neighbor's garage) The top right side of my power rack went through the wall :mellow . good thing my neighbor went out to go buy groceries. :) . so I put the chunk of the wall back in the hole and I straightened out my power rack . I was hoping that maybe my neighbor wouldn't notice the wall :unsure . with the 515lbs on the super galaxy I'm guessing that it was about 10.1 on the ironmind scale. The gripper didn't even feel the weight. there was still 2 1/4 more to go. I would think that it would take about 900s to the 1000s of pounds before it closed :ohmy I still find it funny that people get pissed off and argue with me about the galaxy gripper's being closed one day. :flame . considering a solid #4 is 205lbs. I don't think it's possible. I think the human limits would be around 250lbs.I guess some people have big dreams !!!

Edited by handgripperman

LOL! Nice job! Looked like you had a pretty productive 1st christmas day!

3.78.. Man, pretty stout for a 3.5 i think?

LOL! Nice job! Looked like you had a pretty productive 1st christmas day!

3.78.. Man, pretty stout for a 3.5 i think?

yeah it is pretty hard. according to greg. He said a average 3.5 is 182.5lbs (3.56). he calibrated 5 of them and that's the average.

Pretty cool!! 515 lbs. and still 2 1/4'' more to go? HOLY ****. :yikes

About your last sentence, while your guess is as good as any, I think it's too early in this sport to try and map out what our gripper strength "cap" is. Of course, I don't think we will close the SG either (I'm not that crazy!). I do think you have a good guess though

How's the calibrator doing after that little experiment? :inno

I think the gripper would close before it broke. but maybe the handle would break before it closed. Climber your calibrater didn't even flinch !!!

Edited by handgripperman

Just glad you guys didn't get hurt!

Does anyone have the Grand Galaxy?

They used to make them a long time ago but discontinue them. I am not sure if warren would make a new one. If there is enough hype he would probrably make one but I don't see that happening.The original galaxy was the same spring size as the world class we have today. everything changes, the old Super elites had Grand elite springs (.312) a few years back.

I still find it funny that people get pissed off and argue with me about the galaxy gripper's being closed one day. :flame . considering a solid #4 is 205lbs. I don't think it's possible. I think the human limits would be around 250lbs.I guess some people have big dreams !!!

Well I can barely close the #1 but I have the utmost confidence that I personally will close the Super Duper Mega Galaxy and RB WT. I just need to work hard. I do not that even a very strong man can barely close the #4 because I am........*plays triumphant theme music* Over-Confident Grip Newbie Man!! Up up and away, into the stratosphere of rediculous claims and unrealistic goals!!

wait?! could someone explain why i thought it took around 280 to close the no. 3 any yet it only takes 195 to close the 3.5? im confused.

i assume u double it, like the table does half the worker and the weight the other half. idk though

I still find it funny that people get pissed off and argue with me about the galaxy gripper's being closed one day. :flame . considering a solid #4 is 205lbs. I don't think it's possible. I think the human limits would be around 250lbs.I guess some people have big dreams !!!

Well I can barely close the #1 but I have the utmost confidence that I personally will close the Super Duper Mega Galaxy and RB WT. I just need to work hard. I do not that even a very strong man can barely close the #4 because I am........*plays triumphant theme music* Over-Confident Grip Newbie Man!! Up up and away, into the stratosphere of rediculous claims and unrealistic goals!!

Of course! The reason people who have closed the #3 haven't closed the #4 is lack of focus and hard training! If they trained as hard as me they'd have it closed... definitely!

Good story. I am glad you guys are not hurt after the accident.

After trying the world class and galaxy grippers i am in agreement that the galaxy is pretty much beyong human limits. The world class, on the other hand, is not unclosable IMO but it would take someone who can do an insane amount of reps on a #4 to get close to it!!!!!

In order to close the super galaxy you would have to be able to close a solid #4 with each finger including the thumb :blink (if you compare all the weight to a super galaxy) yeah not gonna happen. about the #3 being 280lbs. That is just a estamite and people have different ways of calibrating grippers. The way I do it (daves and gregs way) is different. the average #3 on the calibrater I use is 150lbs. average #4 is around 205lbs

Edited by handgripperman

Kevin,

I told you that calibrating those things you call grippers would be dangerous. The Universe, Galaxy, Super Galaxy are paper weights not grippers. There is no way they get closed.

Glad you didnt get hurt.

Greg

well I decided to calibrate some grippers today. I calibrated the 3.5 that I closed out of the package. This one http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...si&img=5149. To my suprise it was calibrated at 195lbs (3.78). The RB300 of doom was 187.5 (3.65). custom RB365 250 (4.75s) RB300 stealth 195 (3.78). So I decided to try the "Super Galaxy" 2 3/4 spread :calm . so I started with 225lbs on the loading pin and went from there, with 225lbs it moved about a 1/4. I had my dad help me stack weights on the loading pin. (the whole time my dad said this is a stupid idea and dangerous). But if you know me that goes in one ear and right out the other. ;) . So we stacked 6, 25lb plates on the 225lbs, The super galaxy bairly moved :laugh then we stacked 2 35s on and it didn't budge. at this point the spread of the super galaxy was about 2 1/4 :mellow so we finally put two more 35s onto the total so that's a grand total of 515lbs. right when we let go of the 35s the whole power rack tipped over almost killing me and my dad :laugh . The power rack crashed into my neighbors wall with a big BOOM !!!!. ( I live in a apartment and there is a wall that seperates my garage with my neighbor's garage) The top right side of my power rack went through the wall :mellow . good thing my neighbor went out to go buy groceries. :) . so I put the chunk of the wall back in the hole and I straightened out my power rack . I was hoping that maybe my neighbor wouldn't notice the wall :unsure . with the 515lbs on the super galaxy I'm guessing that it was about 10.1 on the ironmind scale. The gripper didn't even feel the weight. there was still 2 1/4 more to go. I would think that it would take about 900s to the 1000s of pounds before it closed :ohmy I still find it funny that people get pissed off and argue with me about the galaxy gripper's being closed one day. :flame . considering a solid #4 is 205lbs. I don't think it's possible. I think the human limits would be around 250lbs.I guess some people have big dreams !!!

:rock Totally cool story! Glad you guys are OK. :tongue Are the handles on the BBSG standard thickness or are they thicker? If they are standard aluminium and not 1" steel, I'd be scared of the handles letting go first. After all, it's only a little drift-pin and some JB-Weld holding the handles in. I think a spring that size should be set 3/4 into the handle length, into a 1" steel handle and anchored twice.

Edited by StalwartSentinel

I love that story! :rock

how about everyone trys to see if they can work up to closing any of these super grippers with two hands??

I don't even think galaxy and super galaxy can be closed in a chest crush. I have repped the HG500 in chest crush an the 3.25'' spread galaxy is lucky to move an inch.

how about everyone trys to see if they can work up to closing any of these super grippers with two hands??

Unless the handles are thick, forget it! :whacked The BBPro digs into the palms, big time! :cry

Enjoyed reading that! :tongue Imo nothing tougher than a BB pro will ever be closed by a human.