Foot Stomping Experiment

Sean Dockery

THOR: I don't do that and have never done it, but the reason why SOME people do it, is because they think the gripper will weaken after "X" closes, and they don't want to think that they got stronger, while in fact it could be the gripper getting "seasoned".

I pay no attention to that and just close the darned things.

Thank you, and neithor do I.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mlstrass

• StalwartSentinel

• Sean Dockery

• climber511

How thick is the rod that is put inside the coil? If the rod just barely fits in, then there's a clear difference between foot stomping and e.g. chest crushing, even when both are done slowly and avoiding the heating effect:

I don't have a torsion gripper myself, but it looks like the coil is about 2.5 full circles equalling to about 900 degrees. When the coil is free (from a rod), the angle around which the steel bends is the full 900 degrees.

Whereas when there's a tightly fitting rod inside the coil the spring is forced to bend around it, then the spring only bends around the positions where straight parts shooting out form the handles come close to the rod.

So the angle around which the spring is bending is much smaller, around 180 degrees.

In the first case the spring is bent in a range where it's within the domain where it maintains its elastic properties. In the latter case it's bent outside of the elastic domain thus altering it's resitance against future bends.

Received my 2.5 yesterday and put it in the device I made to hold it and did 50 closes with my foot in groups of 5, so YES I like to season a new gripper. Lost NO spread and didn't feel any easier.

WHY?!?! MAN THIS PISSES ME OFF, THERE IS NO REASON TO DO THAT!!! IF YOU CANT CLOSE IT GET A WEAKER ONE AND TRAIN WITH THAT!!!

You SERIOUSLY need to relax. Why do you care what I do with my grippers? It's been explained numerous times why some choose to season grippers, either you agree with it or you don't.

Would you be happier if I said I chest crushed it? Or that I only did forced NEG's and that seasoned it?

Another post that added nothing of value........

tja,

I also contend that the pipe used is the culprit. As mentioned I tried it once with a few different sized pipes and either had binding or the gripper moved around and wouldn't close evenly. Motivated me to build a little device that holds the gripper steady, doesn't bind the spring, and allows it to close perfectly.

One "secret" is that the piece that goes through the spring is angled down pretty steeply vs a hunk of pipe laying on the ground that would be parallel to the ground.

Again I can only offer "MY" experience. I've seasoned 5-6 grippers with this device and have seen NO negative effects. I don't STOMP the gripper close, I slowly apply pressure until the handles touch, slowly release and repeat. Do it in sets of 10 reps, for 50 total.

Would you include, the grippers getting weaker as a negative effect?

You stated that when you 'seasoned' your 2.5 it lost no spread and wasn't any easier??? So it was unchanged?? So then what was the point?

To quote THOR:

'WHY?!?! MAN THIS PISSES ME OFF, THERE IS NO REASON TO DO THAT!!! IF YOU CANT CLOSE IT GET A WEAKER ONE AND TRAIN WITH THAT!!!' :P

Would you include, the grippers getting weaker as a negative effect?

You stated that when you 'seasoned' your 2.5 it lost no spread and wasn't any easier??? So it was unchanged?? So then what was the point?

To quote THOR:

'WHY?!?! MAN THIS PISSES ME OFF, THERE IS NO REASON TO DO THAT!!! IF YOU CANT CLOSE IT GET A WEAKER ONE AND TRAIN WITH THAT!!!' :P

NO different than grippers getting weaker from normal use, only expedites the process. I don't season to try and lose spread. As has been explained a million times, a spring will weaken and take a set after so many initial cycles of closing/opening. "I" choose to get that part out of the way at the beginning, so I know if I'm in fact gaining on the gripper vs the spring breaking in and losing a little strength.

Why is that so hard for many to comprehend? The way I do it is NO different than what happens to a gripper during normal use, they both end up at the same point.

Poor analogy time: say you bought some fancy new bench press machine and were told that the machine would "break in" after 100 reps of use and then it would remain the same. Would you not want to run the machine through 100 reps first, so you could then determine what your true starting strength on it is?

Sorry but we've drifted WAY off course. This topic is about one person's experiences with foot stomping a gripper, not why some choose to do so.

Again props to the OP, but I do agree that to be more scientific some "control" aspects would need to brought into play. But he proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that foot stomping with the gripper in a pipe has the "potential" to destroy a gripper.

Feeling like I've been nailed to the gripper crucifix... :tongue

Why go through the trouble of "seasoning" if change is something like 3% or under, as proved by Gripperhell guys?

Poor analogy time: say you bought some fancy new bench press machine and were told that the machine would "break in" after 100 reps of use and then it would remain the same. Would you not want to run the machine through 100 reps first, so you could then determine what your true starting strength on it is?

If it only had a single resistance setting (like a gripper) then no, i wouldn't want to weaken it.

All i'm pointing out is one of your explanations for seasoning was to weaken it to a 'levelling off' strength. Fair point and i think you can do what you want with your own grippers however later you go one to say the number two lost no spread or strength as if to justify that seasoning didn't affect it. Anyhoo your choice, something as negligible as seasoning has never helped anyone gain strength that i've heard about.

If it only had a single resistance setting (like a gripper) then no, i wouldn't want to weaken it.

All i'm pointing out is one of your explanations for seasoning was to weaken it to a 'levelling off' strength. Fair point and i think you can do what you want with your own grippers however later you go one to say the number two lost no spread or strength as if to justify that seasoning didn't affect it. Anyhoo your choice, something as negligible as seasoning has never helped anyone gain strength that i've heard about.

I should have phrased that "lost no noticeable strength", good catch. Meaning the gripper obviously took a set, but was NOT significantly weakened.

Personally I enjoy seasoning a new gripper, sort of a ritual for me. Our "first" time together, season it, a little WD-40 on the spring if it creaks, mark the dogleg side, polish it up........and let it know that I WILL own it in due time :rock

Teemu I,

I actually don't WANT the gripper to weaken, I just want to know that in my mind it's ready to be used and won't lose any appreciable strength from there.

I should have phrased that "lost no noticeable strength", good catch. Meaning the gripper obviously took a set, but was NOT significantly weakened.

Personally I enjoy seasoning a new gripper, sort of a ritual for me. Our "first" time together, season it, a little WD-40 on the spring if it creaks, mark the dogleg side, polish it up........and let it know that I WILL own it in due time :rock

Teemu I,

I actually don't WANT the gripper to weaken, I just want to know that in my mind it's ready to be used and won't lose any appreciable strength from there.

I know what your purpose is, but I don't understand why go through it if the difference is about 3 % or under? You see, I don't think you can notice that amount of difference, unless you are just a hair's width from closing the gripper.

I might be wrong, but I believe that oiling the spring makes more of a difference than closing the gripper 100 times.

Edited by Teemu I

I know what your purpose is, but I don't understand why go through it if the difference is about 3 % or under? You see, I don't think you can notice that amount of difference, unless you are just a hair's width from closing the gripper.

I do it as part of a little "ritual" that I perform with a new gripper. Just a "mental" thing I guess. Never seasoned the first 3-4 I bought, but have with the last 5. As you mentioned I doubt it makes much if any of a physical difference, but mentally it just feels right to me. Guess I'm mental :whacked

Also a good point to remember is that 3% (or whatever the percentage is that Greg and Dave noted) is on the final close. I would predict when they get around to testing the other aspects of a gripper close such as the first inch or so you would see more of a seasoning effect imho :)

Jon@han