New coc...

Bearcat 74

Just wanted to tell everyone that we have a new CoC.  He's a member of the board, but a constant lurker. ;)  He's been able to close it for some time, and he's a very good bender as well.  I'll let him give all the details, just wanted to tell him congrats!!

Heath, thanks for the pop,  I feel so dirty being a constant lurker and all.  Well it's true, last night I was officially witnessed closing the #3 both left and right handed.  I gotta thank you and Steve for your tips and prodding "go get certified, go get certified..", it definitely helped with my consistency and motivation.  You're right, it's a #### of a good feeling.  I'll see you all in MILO!  :D

Look out IronMind Red nail....you're goin down!!!

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.  A little background, I have been playing around with the grippers since late '97.  I am a former arborist and motocrosser, so I had a pretty good grip base built up.  I closed my #2 8 times right out of the bag in '97   :0 and first felt the handles on my #3 touch in early '98.  I have been training about once a week with them since that point and for a long time was sort of hit or miss with the #3.  My philosophy was to wait until I could mash it at any point before seeking certification (I wanted to avoid going for certification and NOT getting it).  I contacted some of the COC's on the board for advice on increasing my consistency.  What I feel put me over the top was daily work with the lower strength grippers (T,#1,#2) really accelerating and grinding the handles, and keeping my #3 work and forced closures of the #4 down to two days a week.  This is similar to what Wannagrip has posted in the past.  To this point I have done little in the way of strapholds and such but they are coming.  I am still quite far away on the #4 but will keep nibbling away at it.

As for my bending, I started like probably everybody else, Ironmind's bag of nails.  When I first got it I couldn't even tweak the yellow nail.  Within two weeks I was bending the blue nail into a U with no bracing or cheating.  I've bent many 60d's, twisted pole barn nails (thanks Heath :D ), double green nails and anything else I can get my hands on.  To date I have kinked the Red nail about half an inch using strict form.  I feel I am still miles away, but will try to establish a progression that will get me there.  

I am a firm believer that the mental aspects of this game should not be underestimated.  If you think you can do something and really make yourself believe it, it's only a matter of time.

Pat

Guest woody36

Pat,

Could you give some idea on your current routine

as regards Bending,how long have you been bending,

exercises you feel benefit and so forth?

Regards

Ray.

terminator, what style of bending do you use (i.e. what position are your hands in when you start to bend the steel)?

By twisted pole barn nails, do you mean spiral shank nails? I found some 6" 60d "Hot Galvinized Timber Tie Nails" at a Lowes Hardware store that have the company brand name of "GRIP-RITE FAS'NERS". A 5 lb. box was $6. These may be the "nemesis" nails that Tom Black is familiar with. I find them to be medium level for bending (my training partner uses them for warm-ups - but he is further along in bending than I am).

Best of luck with the Ironmind Red!

Train smart!

The 6" spiral shank nails were not my "nemesis," but someone else's.  They are actually a little easier than what I use for my warmups now.  I've bent the 10" version of this nail (~5/16") and it's a monster.  Congratulations terminator, some great crushing and bending!

What an incredible accomplishment!! Another superman in the board!! Congrats,Terminator! I have no doubt that several of you gentlemen will soon be masters of the almost invincible # 4!! :0

Thanks again for the kudos.  I have been bending (officially) for about 8 months, although I've always tried to bend and break things, personality flaw I guess.  The twisted nails were the ones Tom is referencing, or something very similar.  I have a somewhat different bending style, some have tried it and said I'm crazy.  I use the left hand as the holder with the thumb toward the middle of the nail/bar and use the thumb as the fulcrum (ouch).  I use the right hand as the bending hand, also with the thumb toward the center.  Being focused on bending the red nail, I use only one style to maximize my work on improving the style I feel most comfortable with.  I have found that if I can't bend a particular piece of steel strictly, I will bend it with my left forearm "braced" on my leg.  Usually within two weeks after completing a bend this way, my body has learned enough to bend it in strict style.  I will never claim a bend as legitimate unless I can do it in strict style.  

Tom, I particularly appreciated your comments.  You have definitely paid your dues in the bending world.  Those palms down and behind the back bends are particularly impressive :D

I will reserve comments on the #4 until I feel like I can make a serious go at it.  As anyone who has actually played with it can attest it deserves a great amount of respect or it can seriously injure you.  

Pat