• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• Scott Styles

• Cannon

• lifesnotfair

This is my suggestion for Gripboard members. Everyone needs to avoid weights, booze, drugs, extreme sports, fast cars, women, sex, and anything else that is risky. The main concern of a man's life should be a long, comfortable, and above all, safe existence.

-Rex

Every single thing that we do brings possible consequences. Is living one's life to the fullest worth it? No one can answer that question for you. As I look back at my life - there are a few things I regret doing but many more things I wish I had done.

One thing I think many people do not consider enough is your age versus your "training" age - they are often two very different things. Someone who has trained for several decades will often have different things to consider than someone the same age who has been training for only several years. A problem I see is that people train so they can train better - not so they can actually go do something - whatever that something may be.

Life is not what you do in the gym but what the gym preparation allows you to do in your life. A few weeks ago my wife, oldest son and my 8 year old grandson and I hiked to the top of a 14,000' mountain in Colorado thanks to our training. As I sit and compare the feelings I had looking out over the world from up there with the little guy sitting beside me - I realize the reasons I train are much greater than closing a gripper, having a good squat or whatever damage I may inflict upon myself as I train for life. It isn't about the gym or the workout - it's about the life all that lets you live.

Every single thing that we do brings possible consequences. Is living one's life to the fullest worth it? No one can answer that question for you. As I look back at my life - there are a few things I regret doing but many more things I wish I had done.

One thing I think many people do not consider enough is your age versus your "training" age - they are often two very different things. Someone who has trained for several decades will often have different things to consider than someone the same age who has been training for only several years. A problem I see is that people train so they can train better - not so they can actually go do something - whatever that something may be.

Life is not what you do in the gym but what the gym preparation allows you to do in your life. A few weeks ago my wife, oldest son and my 8 year old grandson and I hiked to the top of a 14,000' mountain in Colorado thanks to our training. As I sit and compare the feelings I had looking out over the world from up there with the little guy sitting beside me - I realize the reasons I train are much greater than closing a gripper, having a good squat or whatever damage I may inflict upon myself as I train for life. It isn't about the gym or the workout - it's about the life all that lets you live.

And it's posts like these that make me want to be like you when I grow up. :rock

If anything - training with grippers should help your hands in the long run when you get older.

Muscles in your hands and forearms get stronger from all this hard training, right?

As we get older, we start losing strength and the way to combat this is by training, the same should apply to the hands.

I think when grip training properly there shouldn't be anything to worry about, even if you go to the limits.

The thing to worry about is bad technique / bad form.

I recently took like 3 days off after I had a light grip workout and my hands feel so fresh and powerful - way more than the days before I heard of the grippers. Say I stopped training grippers now for the rest of my life, within time all that will happen is that I'll lose grip strength but I won't get pain from what I been doing - because as can be seen - few days off and the feel BRAND NEW with a strength uprade!

The only thing I'm slightly worried about and maybe someone can clarify what it is and how I can get rid of it.

My current training consists of: Negatives, Severe Holds, and Parallel Reps (sometimes just for show I'd do Wider Reps - 2").

I should have read gripfaq.com about the potential risks of TNS training.

About a year ago, for 3 training sessions I decided to only do TNS Reps on a max gripper which I was able to close - thinking it might give me quicker strength gains. One thing led to another within a few days - on the back of my right hand (up from the ring finger, closer to knuckles but between knuckles and wrist) I suddenly got this round fluid buildup popping out - it's small but if I pinch on it I feel it. Trying to describe what it is. Did anyone ever get this and is there a way to get it removed? It hasn't gone away, I can live my whole life with it, but I rather get it removed. Maybe visit a dermatologist?

Response from anyone who knows is appreciated :)

Edited by DannyGrip