3rd Annual Grip Assault Challenge

davetps

Total Performance Sports is holding our third annual Grip Assault contest on march 31st. Not all events are determined yet, but we wanted to get the date out to you all as soon as we cam up with it. If we have the interest, there will be a mens and a womens class.

A couple of events that we are toying with are.

1. Rolling Thunder Hang. (Iron MInd)

This will one handle in each hand hanging from a chin up bar. Men will have a fifty pound weight vest straped onto there shoulders and women will do it with body weight. This will be a timed event and only one try.

2. 3 inch one handed deadlift.

If you all remember we had this event in the first contest and we got a lot of great reviews on it, so we thought we would bring it back this year.

3. Hub lift.(Iron Mind)

This is pretty easy one to understand I think. Standard rules will apply and 3 atemps will be aloowed, rasing bar event.

There will be more events to follow and of course time and other info to come as well.

I like the events, will there be a large and small hand division? BTW Dave, I love your TPS Functional Strongman Training for Athletes and Competitors DVD.

Me too but what about V-bar?

The V-Bar,

We are toying with the idea of making a thick V-Bar. Not yet made or tried yet but I will keep you posted. I am having it made this coming week and I wil try it out and let you know if we are going to use it or use a standard one. But you know how I like to keep as many events as different as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys,

We are playing with the idea of a rep contest with the grippers instead of the standard heaviest gripper wins. I looking to get some feed back on what people think about doing max reps on the number 2 or something like that?

just my input one handle in each hand hanging from a chin up bar. Men will have a fifty pound weight vest straped onto there shoulders and women will do it with body weight. This will be a timed event and only one try. and a heaver person say 250lb plus the vest 300lb wont hold on long if at all compared to a leaner man with a good grip remember im just a bystander :tongue

hey guys,

We are playing with the idea of a rep contest with the grippers instead of the standard heaviest gripper wins. I looking to get some feed back on what people think about doing max reps on the number 2 or something like that?

I like this idea. How would the reps be counted? Parallel? And would there be re-setting allowed?

And will the grippers be oiled? :tongue

Seems like it would be important to lay out the specs on the gripper event. IE how far the handles have to open.

I am going to have to suck major weight to cut down for the double rolling thunder hang.

Was it lockout for the 3 inch bar?

just my input one handle in each hand hanging from a chin up bar. Men will have a fifty pound weight vest straped onto there shoulders and women will do it with body weight. This will be a timed event and only one try. and a heaver person say 250lb plus the vest 300lb wont hold on long if at all compared to a leaner man with a good grip remember im just a bystander :tongue

Dan,

I understand your point, and I have been thinking about it as well. The heavier man will always loose in this case with or without a weight vest involved because he will always have more weight he needs to hold. I am trying to think of some way to fix this.

hey guys,

I like this idea. How would the reps be counted? Parallel? And would there be re-setting allowed?

And will the grippers be oiled? :tongue

it would be a set to parallel, and you would have to open to parallel as well. Therre will be no reseting. This will not be a timed event. So was you lose your grip you are done. One hand only, so pick your strongest hand.

Seems like it would be important to lay out the specs on the gripper event. IE how far the handles have to open.

I am going to have to suck major weight to cut down for the double rolling thunder hang.

Was it lockout for the 3 inch bar?

Yes the 3 in is to lock out.

Dan,

I understand your point, and I have been thinking about it as well. The heavier man will always loose in this case with or without a weight vest involved because he will always have more weight he needs to hold. I am trying to think of some way to fix this.

Dave,

Maybe using some type of a formula would cancel the bodyweight factor out. The formula would have to include the total weight of the athlete plus the weight vest worn?

-Jedd-

its also hard to keep the gripper totaly shut without it coming apart a few times, where the reps would be done like the deadlift in a strongman event where you have a up and a down signal.

its also hard to keep the gripper totaly shut without it coming apart a few times, where the reps would be done like the deadlift in a strongman event where you have a up and a down signal.

Good point Ross!!!!!

If we did a timed hold it would have to be with something squeezed inbetween the grippers, so when it fell we knew that you opened, there would be no questioning it then.

What about most closes in a Choker - solves the "how far did it open" question. Be kind of different anyway and certainly fair to all.

Good point Ross!!!!!

If we did a timed hold it would have to be with something squeezed inbetween the grippers, so when it fell we knew that you opened, there would be no questioning it then.

How about a dime between the handles, when it drops times up.

I like the Choker idea it would be fair and it would also take your mind and energy off a proper set.

Okay a couple of updates for you.

1. The rolling thunder will no longer be a hang, but a pull down hold, both handles will be attached to our twin stack pull down machine with equal weight in each hand you will grad the handles and sit in the chair pulling that weight of the stacks with arms fully extended. You will have to hold the weight strong for 3 or 5 seconds, (not yet determind) for a complete lift. this will be a raising bar event. Person who holds the most weight for the time wins. This is the same as a timed hang but now all the weight will be even for everyone.

2 I have made a 1, 7/8" v-bar handle, I have tried it out myself and like it alot. I am going to let the guys try and give me some feed back, but I think this will definitely be an event. So if you can get your hands on some inch and 7/8 steel pipe I would recomend you start practicing.

I liked trying out the new v-bar dave made it hits the hands totaly diff then the regular v-bar. I think this will add alot to the contest considering it will be a relitivly new event to evoryone.

Okay a couple of updates for you.

1. The rolling thunder will no longer be a hang, but a pull down hold, both handles will be attached to our twin stack pull down machine with equal weight in each hand you will grad the handles and sit in the chair pulling that weight of the stacks with arms fully extended. You will have to hold the weight strong for 3 or 5 seconds, (not yet determind) for a complete lift. this will be a raising bar event. Person who holds the most weight for the time wins. This is the same as a timed hang but now all the weight will be even for everyone.

2 I have made a 1, 7/8" v-bar handle, I have tried it out myself and like it alot. I am going to let the guys try and give me some feed back, but I think this will definitely be an event. So if you can get your hands on some inch and 7/8 steel pipe I would recomend you start practicing.

Very interesting stuff, bud.