John Brzenk

pawel r

I'd always wanted to figure out Brzenk phenomenon

almost 30 years of armwrestling & genetics- Yes that matters for sure

but how is he doing that he still in his 40's can compete and crush many many big bastards?

I do think that his huge advantage is hand control and SUPERIOR hand strenght (as Rob VJ once said)

70% of AW is hand control and John has it. If he wants to top roll anybody, he just does it.

But... he has also one of the greatest hook ever- how's that possible -technique? special trening? or maybe it's all thanks to

that injury that happened to him when he was 13 or something (he broke some bone in the elbow and maybe it fixed in the way that his elbow

"lock" is out of this planet :)) I don't know. But we -armwrestlers all don't want to know that his dominance is all about some arm break

(I know many guys that broke theire arms and they're twice as strong after that :/ ). We all want to be the best thanks to the training, experience etc.

Coming back to John's hand control I also ve been amazed when I saw that photo:

imagebrzenkcu6.th.jpg

Look at his thumbpad- that's not normal. And remember that thumpad- the size of it- is the place where your opponent grab You, and also using rolling style of top roll

(not the posting one) You attack opponents fingers by this "meatty part of your thumb"

Just my two cents

I would love to hear Bob's Brown and RVJ opinion on this one

HAND control is one reason i think Travis would beat Dennis left handed because he wouldnt win if it was power against power. John seems to be able to match up with anyone no matter what their move is because of his hand control :D

I'd always wanted to figure out Brzenk phenomenon

almost 30 years of armwrestling & genetics- Yes that matters for sure

but how is he doing that he still in his 40's can compete and crush many many big bastards?

I do think that his huge advantage is hand control and SUPERIOR hand strenght (as Rob VJ once said)

70% of AW is hand control and John has it. If he wants to top roll anybody, he just does it.

But... he has also one of the greatest hook ever- how's that possible -technique? special trening? or maybe it's all thanks to

that injury that happened to him when he was 13 or something (he broke some bone in the elbow and maybe it fixed in the way that his elbow

"lock" is out of this planet :)) I don't know. But we -armwrestlers all don't want to know that his dominance is all about some arm break

(I know many guys that broke theire arms and they're twice as strong after that :/ ). We all want to be the best thanks to the training, experience etc.

Coming back to John's hand control I also ve been amazed when I saw that photo:

imagebrzenkcu6.th.jpg

Look at his thumbpad- that's not normal. And remember that thumpad- the size of it- is the place where your opponent grab You, and also using rolling style of top roll

(not the posting one) You attack opponents fingers by this "meatty part of your thumb"

Just my two cents

I would love to hear Bob's Brown and RVJ opinion on this one

HAND control is one reason i think Travis would beat Dennis left handed because he wouldnt win if it was power against power. John seems to be able to match up with anyone no matter what their move is because of his hand control :D

Dennis' left is incredibly powerful - could be the strongest in the world. However, in a best out of six, I can easily see Travis dominating as Travis is just so freakin' fast on the go and Dennis does not appear to have a "hit" - only a "catch."

A slow hook match would go to Dennis - easily. Everything else would go to Travis – even more easily perhaps

Edited by G-Man

Anybody could voice his opinion about my question please?

How is it possible that JB has developed thumbpad- it's enormous.

Could You give me please any tips how to enlarge that part of the hand?

i would also like to ask You what kind of exercices are the best to increase the thickness of the hand?

Thank You very much fr Your answers

I can tell you that John's brother and father both have very thick hands and Thumb pads. It mainly Genetics but I think any kind of gripping exercise will increase your hand size but not by a lot.

This is one of those things that you are just born with.

Regarding Brzenk's lock, I remember he posted something one time about how when he was younger he was at the gym and he held the whole stack in the neutral position while his buddy jumped up and down on it. Then he said something about it not being the smartest thing to do but that he's always had a lot of holding power. I'd say his picking good parents probably had a little to do with that one too :D:D

Thanks a lot guys

Of course that wasn't exactly what i wanted to hear :)

I know that's mainly about genetics but every AW want to be as great as JB

Genetics is what I haven't born with so (like majority of us I think) so that's not motivating me

Bob: You said that all gripping exercies but which one the most? I'am talkib about thumbpad. I make a regullar gripper so far only and see no impact on that?

And what about hand tickness- pinching? Thick bar?

Thanks

I am not sure, and I am no expert or even close... but from what I've seen on videos, a big thumbad could help in your armwrestling even if your hand is smallish. I saw on ArmTV Allen Fisher (huge hand) pulling Vazgen in practise, and he was pointing to Vazgen's thumbpad and touching it and saying how it was pretty built. You would imagine a huge hand like Allen's wouldn't mind about it, but it did... so it must be good.

How to build the thumbpad? Again I wouldn't know because mine is not big, but from what I've read, the best tool for thumbpad size is DYNAMIC training it... so maybe pinching plates/blocks/whatever alone wont be as good. Find a pony clamp and start doing reps. Add rubber bands (the kind you find everywhere) to the end of the pony clamp once you get stronger. Once again, this is from reading a lot of Gripboard posts, as I myself have not tried it. I have a TTK but never got serious with it, but I imagine it would have a similar effect.

strongman training. or anything your using your hands more. many people who do just regular gym work dont have very strong big hands. but i alwasy have notice people who have a lysical job have huge hands. i reckon though as the more people you arm wrestle it will increase size of your hand (thickness) but not a great deal. my hands were skinny. since i started grippers, all my fingers have got thicker.

Arturo- thanks a lot for answer

i was thinking in similiar way. Low reps high intensity- strengh, high, dynamis reps- size (pump the muscle up)

I would try these pony clamps when I find some

Anybody could voice his opinion about my question please?

How is it possible that JB has developed thumbpad- it's enormous.

Could You give me please any tips how to enlarge that part of the hand?

i would also like to ask You what kind of exercices are the best to increase the thickness of the hand?

Thank You very much fr Your answers

pinch grip would be the obvious exercises. also grippers, the thumb pad builds up from having to flex to keep the gripper in place.

• 1 month later...

It's going to be first screened in March at the SXSW film festival in Austin, Texas. To get a pass to the whole event is rather expensive (a few hundred dollars), I don't know if you can get it in to just see one video.

Gary mentioned that it only would cost about $10 to get in just for the movie but that's not set in stone yet. If its $10 I will probably be there. If it's like $250 or whatever it is for the pass I ain't going no way dude I'm a broke college student!

http://www.armwrestlingtv.com/phpBB3/viewt...hp?f=3&t=45

Edited by Josh H

Regarding Brzenk's lock, I remember he posted something one time about how when he was younger he was at the gym and he held the whole stack in the neutral position while his buddy jumped up and down on it. Then he said something about it not being the smartest thing to do but that he's always had a lot of holding power. I'd say his picking good parents probably had a little to do with that one too :D:D

Is this with a low pully and him just standing there with his arm out like holding a dumbbell curl or with a higher pulley and his arm on a bench like he was armwrestling? or possibly something else? not sure what a neutral position is. Thanks