Beginner Questions

blahblahcrab

Hey everybody. I'm trying to get into armwrestling, but i'm not really sure what training route i should take. So here's some info about me.

Okay I don't remember ever really armwrestling anyone very seriously before, but thats going to change. I would have to say that i'm pretty weak, but hopefully that'll change as well. Also i'm very light, around 115 lbs at 5'4''. Up to this point of my life, i've only seriously done body weight exercises, and i max out around 60 pushups and 12 chinups(not sure if this matters). At my house i have a pull-up bar, a cheap pair of grippers, and some dumbells that I can change the weights for, but thats pretty much all the equipment I have.

So I was wondering, with the equipment I have, and with this small and weak body of mine, how should I go about training to become good at armwrestling?

Thanks in advance!

Keep doing chins/pullups, Curls with the dumbbells (normal, hammer, reverse ones) and wristcurls. etc

Yep, and do overhead presses and pushup variations to balance out your pushing/pulling muscles. You can also swing and snatch your dumbells for cardio if you are so inclined.

At your current state i say a largely mass gaining base should be your first priority. No specialization required. Just some slab some good quality meat on your skeleton.

If you got enough weight for those dumbells then you can train every muscle you want.

If they go really heavy then obviously deadlifts are a must. I say go high volume.

Dumbell pressing, curls, rows, tri extensions, lateral raises, even prehab rotator cuff work can be done if you so desire.

With dumbells and enough weight you coudl build a world class physique.

You could even perform a one-legged one-fingered Romanian heel- elevated deadlift.

Do your pressups while holding the dumbells aswell for extra range and pectoral contraction to prevent them rolling apart.

Wrist curls and plate curls aswell seen as we're on the gripboard.

Handstand presses, one armed pull ups, negative pulls to begin with, pull ups with a big fat towel, pressups with a twist...do a press up and try to roll onto your fingers...so no press just all hand movement.....and if you have a shovel or a real lonf gardning equipment...use that for sledge work..front raise, back raise and supination :)

Take the advice of the people above me, but don't forget to armwrestle. It's very important that you do so because this trains the key muscles and will teach you some skill. What good is training for armwrestling if you never armwrestle? Right?

Cool thanks for the advice you guys, but is there anything i can do in my extra time, like on a car or in some of my classes? Maybe just squeezing paper? I'm not sure. Anyways thanks in advance!

Srry for the double post, but i was also wondering if anyone could list out exactly which muscles are mainly used in arm wrestling. Thanks again!

All the weight lifting in the gym will not compare to armwrestling. Im not saying the gym work isnt important but your main priority should be getting as much table time as possible and start building up your form and your stamina

Srry for the double post, but i was also wondering if anyone could list out exactly which muscles are mainly used in arm wrestling. Thanks again!

YOUR WHOLE BODY!!!!

If your legs are week they won't support your body in the long haul and there aren't many sit down tournaments. Need a strong back so you don't have imbalances and lower back problems.

You need to get your hands and wrists very strong. Then it's your rotator and elbow side pressure strength, then your arm strength. and so on......You can do this various ways with weights and so on. Which is what I would go with if you don't have a pulling partner or team that is stronger than you. I am sure you can figure out what exercises to do. If not ask around and become a member on the Northeast Armwrestling message board.

YOUR WHOLE BODY!!!!

If your legs are week they won't support your body in the long haul and there aren't many sit down tournaments. Need a strong back so you don't have imbalances and lower back problems.

You need to get your hands and wrists very strong. Then it's your rotator and elbow side pressure strength, then your arm strength. and so on......You can do this various ways with weights and so on. Which is what I would go with if you don't have a pulling partner or team that is stronger than you. I am sure you can figure out what exercises to do. If not ask around and become a member on the Northeast Armwrestling message board.

another thing to me in theory..and only theory is the evil wheel...

Think about it..especially the no knee variation...having to bring the arms closer to the center of body, that mimics some dynamics of armwretsling as in the pulling motion..thats my opinion anyway, armwrestling to me is like a semi jacknife...im no expert and those who know more please correct me..in the least the evil wheel couldnt hurt :)

Get a good table and pull against everyone willing to.......period!

.......John Brzenk

Get a good table and pull against everyone willing to.......period!

.......John Brzenk

LOL some reason that doesn't work for everyone and the russians kick our ass.

Training on the table is good, but I dunno if it's the end all be all. Because even John Brzenk Lifts weights.

True enough kyle, tho it was a pretty good point, get specific with movements to whatever you want to get good at, nothing will progress you with benchpress as benching will, nothing will get you good at bending as bending will, nothing will get you good at being a mechanic as working on cars will etc..making love, kicking a ball, having a conversation..whatever, hehe. There will always be supplemental thigns we can do to aid the primary specific movement training, and this includes learning about the primary specific movement..ie theory about what we want to do well, learning technique etcc..

The other ugly thing to mention is genetics, some will be a world champ armwrestler, most wont, but the point is all can get better and unless we try we will never know where our cards lay...point being..armwrestle armwrestle and arm wretle..alongside learning good technique and supplment exercises to improve weaknesses...

...making love, kicking a ball, having a conversation..whatever, hehe.

I dunno man, I got great at making love by eating cheetos and watching baseball on ESPN. :D

so yea even tho i've never armwrestled before, im doing it every day now and Im totally loving it. every day i armwrestle some guy whose way stronger than me, so he lets me drain everything I have then he kills me, but i feel like im getting better already.

And not to ignore the info from other posters, but i dont really use weights, i only do body exercises, and im wondering if thats enough to get stronger. Im not trying to get bigger, just better at armwrestling. So far doing just chinups, pushups, trying some gymnastic stuff like plances and levers. Should I do dips too? What other body weight exercises would help? Thanks again!

Dips...........................................................Front lever pullups

Handstands.................................................Planche Pushups

Handstand pushups......................................One arm handstand

One arm chins...............................................Back lever

Chins..........................................................Tiger bend pushups

Pullups........................................................Tiger bend handstand pushups

Iron Cross...................................................One arm handstand pushups

Maltese.......................................................One arm tiger bend pushups

Planche.......................................................Diamond pushups

Pushups.......................................................Psuedo planche pushups

One arm pushups..........................................Press handstands

Front lever....................................................Flag lever

Victorian......................................................Flag lever pullups

Wide arm handstand......................................Manna

Inverted Cross...............................................One arm back lever

That should get you started.....and plenty strong I might add. There is so many things you acn do with your bodyweight it's not even funny. This is only a fraction of the bodyweight exercises there are. Check out my log, I do only bodyweight stuff.

Good Luck armwrestling.

Edited by Ivarboneless

Thanks and now im just wondering if its possible for a high school student to break his bone armwrestling? I read some articles about snapping arms and im just wondering if there needs to be trememndous force for this event to occur or if its something that could happen to anyone. Well i have skinny, skinny bones, which look like they could easily snap, and im now armwrestling constantly a guy whose maybe 2x stronger than me. Sometimes he lets me try my best and then after im tired he beats me but other times he just beats me in seconds. So im wondernig if i could have my bones broken by him. Thanks again.

Thanks and now im just wondering if its possible for a high school student to break his bone armwrestling? I read some articles about snapping arms and im just wondering if there needs to be trememndous force for this event to occur or if its something that could happen to anyone. Well i have skinny, skinny bones, which look like they could easily snap, and im now armwrestling constantly a guy whose maybe 2x stronger than me. Sometimes he lets me try my best and then after im tired he beats me but other times he just beats me in seconds. So im wondernig if i could have my bones broken by him. Thanks again.

With most sports (contact ones and non contact) there will be injuries, thats the nature of the game, asking if he can break you is like saying can you get hurt seriously in fottball, the answer is yes..some sports the ratios will be higher with serious injuries, how many ppl have got their arms ripped? thats a good question and I dont know personally, but its likely that an arm or two have been broken. When you arm wsretle this guy does he drop you in a flash or is it still a slight grind, cause I think the dynamic pull where the other person losing has no control over the pull is more in line to get hurt than say the slower static grind? But thats just my opinion. Just tell him not to rip your arm off while you are getting the feeling for the table:)

A few weeks ago I was going to my first tournament and asked the very same question. HERE

The concensus was that if you keep square to the table and stay facing your hand you should be pretty much alright. So just don't get yourself into horrible position.