Just an idea...

Hercules

Isn't it great to compare your crushing strength with others using the grippers? Sure it is, otherwise there wasn't so much discussion about gripper calibration...

I'm sure there would be a lot more steel benders if there was a tool that was properly calibrated and practical to workout with (it isn't easy to get steel bars to bend, at least for me)

There is such a tool, it's called torsion bar or bendy bar! The problem is the ones in the market (at least the ones I'm aware of) are found in sports goods store and are so easy that anyone can bend them.

I think that if there were bendy bars calibrated like the grippers, with different bending strength, they would be very well acepted among steel benders and armwrestlers. Instead of bending steel bars we could bend these bendy bars with palms facing down, if used with palms facing up they would be a great training tool for armwrestlers!

I would like to hear your opinion on this, do you think this would have market? Maybe someday, someone involved with those companies that build grippers and other stuff could make this equipment for our delight!

I thought of something like this a few years ago.  Basically, my idea was to take a torsion spring and point the handles out in opposite directions.  Imagine a gripper with the handles all in one line with the spring in the middle.  Anyway, the problem is that the spring would fatique too much and break, I believe quite quickly.  It would probably be too dangerous.      

There is an old post that I did that had a patent for a bending trainer.  I'll look up the patent, but the basic idea was to have springs like the Supergripper springs mounted between two handles.  Hard to describe so I'll have to find the picture.

Probably I wasn't very clear, these bendy bars already exist, I bought mine in a supermarket! The problem is I can do hundreds of reps with it...it's so easy, BUT if the spring was thicker it would be a #### of a training tool!

Tom black - The spring in the bendy bar is different from the one in the grippers, imagine that you would stick a bar trough the gripper spring, now imagine a gripper that would have a spring that had 20 rounds in the spring. If you stick one bar on each side you'd have a bendy bar!

Hercules,

I am familiar with the device that you are referring too.  It sounds like it doesn't give enough tension to be much use to a steel bender.   With a thicker spring it might work, but I don't think anyone would make such a device because it would not be commercially feasible.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting idea, Hercules!

Here is another link to some bendy bars:

http://customer.manufacture.com.tw/~shungwei/c06.htm

I have a heavy duty "Power Twister" and use it as recommended (palms down) but also then use it a little different than most people. I hold it verticle (anchoring it with my hand) in front of my chest and then bend the top down with my other hand until it my hands touch. I do this for 10 reps each and then switch hands and repeat for 3 sets.

Train smart!