? For all you Grippers

Mjoynt

Do most of you concentrate mainly on grip strength or is it just a small part of your overall program?  I'm sure there is a little of both types here, but I was just curious about some of the members and their use for grip training.

Matt

I lift weights in a powerlifting/dino fashion. Heavy weights on basic compound movements, twice a week. Grip training is a passion and is at least as important as the rest of my trainig.

Guest Neal Bates

I currently lift three times a week using one of Brooks Kubiks routine's and I'm starting to incorporate some of the Olympic lifts. I think you will find that the vast majority of those on the board lift weights while including lots of hard grip work.

Neal

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I have competed in strongman and bench contest. I started grip training because I seen some one do somthing I could not ! So, I had to try and improve. Grip training now is somthing I enjoy (except those negatives with the #4). It is just as important as any other parts of my training.

Guest JSallee

Well I started Olympic weightlifting around the age of 12 or 13, and I can remember my weightlifting coach had these old, dirty grippers.   At the time they seemed impossible to close.  

Of course he could smash them with ease.  

Last summer I was daydreaming and remembered those old dirty grippers, and hoped I could find something more than the sports store "toy" grippers.   So I found this site, tons of info on grip training, and where to get some real gripper.  

So I guess to answer the question, I still train mainly for O-lifting with a fair amount of grip training on the side.

i train basic exercises (squat, dips, presses, etc,) 3 days a week alternating upper & lower body, cardio 2-3x week on non weight days & grip 1-2x week.

I'm from the other camp.  I never lifted weights, just always been fairly strong naturally.  A few years ago I found out I wasn't indestructible.  This knowledge created a desire for improved health in the 2nd half of my life.  My newfound workouts are a balance of grip, strength, and cardio.  

What I find amazing, especially on this board, are the number of non-young men who actually think they can increase their strength as they get older.  That attitude has been a leading motivator for me.  

I refuse to see myself in a wheelchair when I'm 70.  My doctor once told me to either have surgery or live in pain for the rest of my life.  My reason for grip training, and training in general is to fight the weakness that comes with aging and injury.  If they think I'm a lunatic at 37, they ought to hang around for a few decades.  When the grim reaper comes, he'd better have a big gun.....

Good for you, AnimalCage! At ten years your senior, I feel stronger than I've ever felt and getting stronger every day! Like you, I never really lifted weights. But I have only very recently started doing so.

BTW, AnimalCage, I like your web site at http://www.taralane.com/training/training.html

Nice job on those phone books & steel rods!

Train smart!

Strongman,

Good for you also.  What a great feeling, to see the weights increasing with the age!  How I wish I'd had this mentality when I was younger.  Like they say, youth is wasted on the young.  

I've got a long way to go, and a long time to get there.   I just ripped a new Post-It pad yesterday, trying to work up to a deck of cards.  Good thing I don't have the keys to the supply cabinet.  And the #2 Craftsman Phillips screwdriver is still laughing at me.  But practice makes better, and as you can see in the first picture, I have plenty of phone books to practice on!!  Work is so much fun these days.

Thanks for the kind words!

Alan