lifting accomplishments always seemed to be

shadowed by Thomas Inch. Around 1914 Aston

held the record for a single handed overhead

lift at 300.5 lbs. Then Inch claimed 304.5 lbs,

but the important distinction was that Inch took

the bar to the shoulder using two hands, then

put it overhead with one hand, hardly a one handed

all the way lift such as Aston had performed. At

the time, Inch's best in that manner was about 245.75 lbs.

At of 1960 Aston was working in London at a Fish & Chips

shop, and was then able in his mid 70s, to handle 112 lb

bags of potatoes with ease. At death he was 89.

Roark,

You forgot to mention that he was undefeated as "Britian's Strongest Man", a title he won from Inch.  He won it in June, 1911 and retired undefeated in 1934 - a record of 23 years.

John,

I have noticed my posts on history have been

read less and less, so I have been keeping them

shorter, perhaps on their way out.

On a related issue:

Just a few weeks before the June 3, 1911 match

wherein Inch lost to Aston, Inch was able to

clean only 170 on a regular bar one handed. So

exactly how was he able to clean the 172 thick

handled bell during that time period?

personally, i would hate to see these posts gone.  i always find them interesting.  i think our history should be imprortant to all of us.  if you don't know where you've been, how do you know where you're going?

Guest Luke Reimer

Joe, your history pieces are a highlight for me. I click every one as soon as it hits the board. I can't get enough of one-handed lifts, especially if they involve thick bars and cleans.

Joe,

I meant to mention this to you "off the board" but in light of the comments above I think it should be said for everyone.  First, let me say that the history posts are great, but sometimes they don't require or demand a response.  Thus, we all read them excitedly, but because of the fairly high traffic now on the board they quickly get moved to the bottom of the page as other posts that ask questions or are a continued thread push the history posts down.  What I suggest is that if a member reads a history post that is off the first page that does not have a reasonable amount of views, suggesting that not everyone has seen it, then they simply reply "bump" and the post is deservingly bumped to the top where it belongs.

Roark,

I also love the history posts! I hope you continue sharing them with us. I look forward to each and every one of them. I am so much more impressed by the strength feats of old than the drug-induced feats of today. Please keep them coming!

Thanks,

paul

Roark, your history posts are my favorite feature of the grippage.

Tom mentioned that because they do not necessarily need a reply, they get moved to the bottom and on to the next page quickly.  So, I suggest that we give Roark his own section on the Grip Board for posting history. It will make an easier reference for everyone, and Roark could post as much history as he wanted without flooding the main board (although I wouldn't mind that.)

So, keep 'em coming please.  We all really appreciate them and wish there were even more!

Waiting for the next,

Michael Falkov