Christian's Log

Guest Christian

Guest Christian

Ha! :) I've been pretty wrapped up with a bunch of stuff, but I've been doing heavy singles 3 days on 1 day off. I can close the #1 without touching with my opposing hand on my right hand and with a little "setting" on the left.

I haven't been able to do other stuff yet, I just got a thick bar so I am trying to work it into a new routine.

I am putting together a new routine and I will be rocking steady pretty soon!

Guest Christian

Brought my grippers to work about everyday the past few weeks. Most people still can't close the trainer. The guys who are much bigger than me get very frustrated to see me close the #1. I use this as my hard singles training.  One guy says, "Oh, you just need to practice it. If you get used to the gripper you can close it easy."  He said this as he struggled to break parallel on the Trainer. Dickhead!

Anyhow, I came in and warmed up with a solid 5 reps on the trainer.  My skin is pretty sore today from all the work. I am definitely going to take tomorrow off to attempt to heal the skin a bit.

Next I performed about 5 singles with the #1. I was 1/16" away with the left hand today, but I used my right hand to pinch it closed, then I imagined myself really slamming it as I held the crush tight.  Usually, I can use my right hand to "hold" the coil (I loop my index finger through it to stabilize the gripper) and it doesn't twist, allowing me to exert full power. Today, it wasn't enough!

After about 3 singles with the #1, I went for a #2 with each hand and then measured it.  With my right hand I got 7/8" from close and with my left 1 1/4" from close.  This is the hardest part! To measure I put a post it on the edge of my desk, squeezed like mad, then marked the distance with my other hand. My focus was broken doing so, but I am not worried with actual distance as much as progress.

I did about 2 more singles with the #1 in each hand as people are always walking by my cube and trying to close the grippers.  I love it when they try to belittle my accomplishments with their excuses on why they can't close it and why I can.  I know that in their heads they are wondering how the #### someone who is 30lbs lighter could out might them in any fashion.

As I said before I just got a 2" thick bar and I am looking into making some 2" thick dumbells as well.  I need to find a cheap welder so I can get this done for less than friggen $50 a piece.  If anyone out here welds or wants to help a brotha out, let me know ;)

As soon as I get my bench and other stuff I will start a more fashioned routine. There are so many things I want to do, but I am afraid that thick bar + wrist roll + wrist curl + lever + pinch + crush is going to overtrain my forearms.  I will probably have to pick and choose what I want to focus on and limit my lifts based on that.

All in all my skin is very very sore today and that's a pain I could do without.  ;)

So, anyone want to guess a timeframe for me to get the #2 in?  My guess would be a solid 6 months to a year. I won't be disappointed if it takes longer.  My next goal is repping the #1 twice.  I am going to start strapholds again soon.  I think my schedule would look like this

Day One : Heavy #1 Singles

Day Two: Heavy #1 Singles + Heavy a #2 Single

Day Three: Strapholds with Trainer

Day Four: Off

Repeat.

Bulk starts in about 2 weeks I'd say. ;)

Guest T-Bear

Christian, you say you are worried about overtraining, because you want to do grip, pinch, thickbar and wrist training. I have overcome that problem, with the following routine:

Session 1. Grippers 4 sets, supersetted with 4 sets fingerextensions. Wristroller, with the strap between me and the roller supersetted with the strap in front of the roller.4 sets.

Session 2. Pinch 4 sets suppersetted with fingerextensions.

Wristroller as above.

Session 3. Thickbar 4 sets, suppersetted with fingerextensions. Wristroller as above.

I do one session then rest 4 days, before I do next session, When I have done the cycle 3 times I rest for 8 days.

Guest sjeff70

Hi Christian,

I recognize you from the Hardgainer board from a year or two ago.  I don't visit there much anymore, but I've seen you on other boards lately from time to time.  Hope your injuries aren't too serious.

I always like to keep tabs on the newbies, the ones that are at the same level as me.  Griparn and myself email from time to time with our progress.  He started at about the same time and level as I did and he has almost closed the #2!    

I started about the same time you did; I couldn't close the Trainer either when I first got it.  It took me about 3 months from when I first tried the Trainer to close the #1.  

I was wondering how long you wait between singles and how long in general you give to one of your CoC workouts.  I'm sure you've noticed that the longer you rest in between singles, the more closes you'll get; in fact, if you wait long enough, most of the time you'll always get another close (especially if you can close it at least 3 times).  

I alternate two CoC workouts, one being a singles day.  I do as many singles as possible in 45 minutes.  It has worked well for me...last week I closed the #1 three times, but today I mashed it 7 times (three of them with a grind); one of the closes was at the very end of my workout...after doing 30 singles with the Trainer.  I've determined at this point that I no longer need the Trainer.   :p    By the way, I still haven't closed the #1 with my left hand.   ???    I've got about 1/16 to go.  I will try Tou's trick of helping it closed.  

Anyway, it is fun to watch other grip fanatics who are at or near the same level as me.  :)    

Jeff Schanz

Guest Christian

Jeff, it wasn't me on the hardgainer board.  I generally don't use my real name on boards, but this one I didn't mind. :)

I always like to keep tabs on the newbies, the ones that are at the same level as me.  Griparn and myself email from time to time with our progress.  He started at about the same time and level as I did and he has almost closed the #2!

Griparn and I PM each other sometimes. He is doing very well! He outweighs be by 15lbs, so I hope when I get there my training will be a lot better.

I started about the same time you did; I couldn't close the Trainer either when I first got it.  It took me about 3 months from when I first tried the Trainer to close the #1.  

3 months? I've only been training since the beginning of June. I'm at the 2 month mark. I took some time off as well, so I have only really been training for the #1 about a month. I got in 10 days after I re-started training.  I progressed pretty quick (I think) so I am confident that I will get the #2 within a year. As of right now I am to 7/8" which is still pretty bad.  

I was wondering how long you wait between singles and how long in general you give to one of your CoC workouts.  I'm sure you've noticed that the longer you rest in between singles, the more closes you'll get; in fact, if you wait long enough, most of the time you'll always get another close (especially if you can close it at least 3 times).  

It's somewhat arbitrary at this point. I have them on my desk at work. When someone comes by and picks up the trainer and can't close it, I pick up the #1 and smash it.  Then I do the same with my left hand once they leave (not there yet ;)).  I don't think I can do more than 5-6 singles a day.  I like to do 3-4 if I am not pressured.  My hands get sore and my skin begins to burn. I am at the same place as you with my left hand on the #1 [just read that part]. I always help it closed and squeeze hard. PAIN.  A lot too ;)

Good luck with your training! I am trying to come up with a "set" routine and better way to monitor progress.  I am just anticipating when I can up the calories again and really have at it.

Today I did heavy singles, crushed the #1 very very hard. Grind at the end! That felt very good.  I find I do much better after a set of 10 with the trainer and a 3 minute rest. Gets my hands warm. Left, I am very close to closing still, but no click.

Time to begin strapholds again! Tomorrow, in fact.

Guest Christian

Didn't start the strapholds yet. Did singles today.

Trainer - 5 reps per hand

#1 every 1-2 hours closed about 3-4 times

#2 down to 7/8"!

It's more convenient for me to do singles right now until I get my workout schedule set.

I hope #2 is a few months away, that would be a very pleasant surprise!

Guest Christian

T - 5 reps each hand to warm up

Singles

#1 - 2xright, 2xleft (still <1/4" on it)

#2 - R (3/4"), L (1 3/16")

Progressed on both right and left with #2 since last week, but I think I did a little worse than yesterday.  Very pleased overall though.  Unfortunately, I'm down to the toughest part.  My hand is lagging behind a bit now, which sucks, but I don't want to limit my right hand's progress for the sake of being even.

This week's calories are 1600 (about 650 under), next week 1900, 2200,  2500, 2800.  I don't care about how long it takes to start gaining, I'm going to do it slowly and try hard not to gain back a lot of fat. I'll probably say flabbergastenpoopy it and up them to 3000 in less time, but I really don't want the gut back. :D

I am banking on seeing some big strength gains once I get my calories up.  If I don't then I'll be shocked.

:crazy

There's another person who used the f-word without getting ####-ed out!  :0 What's going on here?  :p Gains will come easier once you start the strapholds. :)

Guest Christian

Root Canal today. No gripper work for a while. I clench my teeth pretty hard sometimes when I'm training (I tried not to, but it becomes a mental block), so i will have to take some time off. :(

Guest sjeff70

Hi Christian,

Sorry, I confused you with Christian Tackett for some reason.  

You have very good open-hand strength compared to your gripper-close strength.  Suprisingly, there is a difference.  I have better close the gripper strength than open hand strength.  Nathan is right...start some strapholds!  I'm going to take a page from your book and start doing more attempts with the #2.  You are much closer on the #2 than I am, but as of this writing, I can close the #1 about 25 times in 45 minutes.  

I wish you a speedy recovery on the root canal.  I'd just as well be happy getting false teeth so I don't have to deal with teeth at all.  :p

Jeff

Guest Christian

sjeff,

I've definitely noticed that from observing other people.  I can't even rep the T that much. Since I've taken some time off (a week) I tried today and had lost a good bit of strength. The #1 was pretty hard to close. :\  I am sure after a few days I can work back up, but it's sure disheartening.

I'm not worried about the repping though. I would rather close the #2 than rep the #1 even 5 times.  My preference.

I am starting the path to weight gain. I'm eating maintenance calories this week then upping them every few days next week as I begin lifting again.

I can't wait ;)

Guest Christian

08.09.2002 - Held singles

Warmup - Tx10 both hands

7:35 am

#1 Right hand - held tight for 6 seconds

#1 Left hand - I am about 1 mm from close. I think my problem is that I can't set it quite as well in my left hand. It feels less natural with the hold I have on it.  I have to ease it to a comfortable position which takes a lot of energy out of my hand before I go for the close.  I held this position for about 6 seconds as well.

8:00 am

#2 Right hand - skin started to rip a little and the motion did not feel comfortable so I stopped.  I will wait an hour and go heavy on the #1 again.  My strength doesn't feel like it is back 100%, but it's much better than yesterday.

9:00 am

#1 Right hand - held tight for 6 seconds

#1 Left hand - Didn't judge the distance this time, just squeezed the #### out of it and held 6 seconds.

Generally after about 6 seconds the gripper moves and my hands begin to tear up.  I bought some lotion to try to heal up my skin. I hope it works ;)

I may try a few more times throughout the day, but it depends on how strong my hands feel.

I need to get rolling back to my full grip routine. I've been slacking on it for a while because of time. Time to set some definite goals and follow through!

Instead of just holding it closed, make it an explosive grip blast! Once the handles touch, try to smash the handles furthur, crush the handles to death, FEEL the OVERCRUSH in your bones! If you're not shaking uncontrollably at the end, you haven't gone hard enough so do it again.

Guest Christian
Instead of just holding it closed, make it an explosive grip blast! Once the handles touch, try to smash the handles furthur, crush the handles to death, FEEL the OVERCRUSH in your bones! If you're not shaking uncontrollably at the end, you haven't gone hard enough so do it again.

That's usually the game plan ;) I usually overcrush until my skin kills me!

When I say held, it's a struggle until the end.  :crazy

thanks. any guess as to how far off the #2 should be? The lowest I've gotten it down to was 3/4"

Guest Christian

Did some singles but my right hand felt particularly weak today.  Oddly enough, closed the #1 with my left hand for the first time and did it twice.

I know I keep saying it, but I am going to get on a regular grip routine soon, I swear. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Christian

Been doing the same thing to keep my grip strength in tact until I can come up with a set routine.  I have been switching around my other workouts a little too much as of late which causes some hassle.

I feel like a bum though.  Things will change.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Christian

Today I did reps with my #1. I finally got my sweep down very well with both hands. My left hand has an issue that requires some straphold attention though. I can hold the close in my right hand for a very long time, so I may as well start strapholds with it too.

I think I will use some shoelace to do them since it is thin and won't promote cheating as well as the big leather belt I was using. Cheers to me!

Going to start plate pinching and wrist curls again soon. It's tough because full body routines take a lot out of ya.

:crazy

Hellope!

Just wanted to tell you I closed my #2 today. :D

Í was very suprised, because I haven't trained with them for two weeks. But know it is defeated! My next goal will be to close it left-handed. And it is some way to go still, about 5-6 mm's. But I will go on training as before.

How are you doing, do you train on your #2?

Jonas

Guest Christian

Congrats!

I have neglected my gripper training for a while due to things beyond total control.  I will however definitely get myself back into it and defeat the #2 in no time.

I worked with the #2 for a whole and I got myself down to 3/4" on it, but I haven't picked it up in a while.

Guest Christian

I've been working with the #2 a little more and I've gotten it down to 9/16" as of yesterday.  The #1 closes pretty easy right now, which I am very pleased about.

I wanted to see if I could rep my T 20 times today, which was dumb, but I could do it. (My hand was sore as ####).

I just tried the #2 today and I got it to 7/16"! That's 1/8" gain over yesterday! I think the secret so far has been working with the #2 more as well as working on my #1 sweep (which isn't wonderful).  I can close the #1 now without setting it at all.

w00t! In other news, I am back to pinching two 10lbs for 40 seconds, I will add weight to that slowly.

Peace.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Christian

I have been taking my grip training a little slow as of late. I got a new training partner and he isn't all about grip work, he's more in it for general health purposes.

I did however reach a long term goal of mine quite early:

Weighted Dips: BW + 100lbs x1

That was a goal I used to have. I remember seeing pictures of people doing 100lb dips and it made me so motivated.  I never thought I'd achieve it after 1 month of serious training.  The max day looked like this:

BWx8, +35x8, +75x8, +90x1, +100x1.  I was very proud.

I also maxed out on chins which was +60x1.  I need to work on my chins a bit still.

Note: When I do dips I lower my body until my nipples are even with my hands which is below parallel.  

Anyhow, since this is a grip board, I'll say: I close my #1 with a lot more confidence now, but my left hand isn't getting much better. I've been doing 5 days on 2 days off but I have hit a lull in my training. I am going to try some new methods to blast myself forward.

Anyone know if the Ivanko Super Gripper is worth it for incremental jumps? Is there something between the #1 and #2 that would help? I think I've read beef builders fall between the cracks, but which? Thanks!