A Feat Of Crushing Strength In The Movies

BIKERICH

Remember Odd Job in 007 movie Goldfinger when he crushes a golf ball in his right hand? is this one of the first feats of crushing strength in a movie? a golf ball...whats the big deal! :tongue

Best one EVER was in "Back to School" with Rodney Dangerfield when the football guys were picking on Rodney in a restaurant and they said to him, "Are you gonna do something about it"? Rodney says, "No, but HE will..." Points to his friend sitting at a table about 15 feet away (I think it was the guy who plays Paulie in the Rocky movies), the guy has one of those aluminum napkin holders in one hand and just CRUSHES it...the football guys are like, "No man, we don't want any trouble!"

In a recent episode of "Deadwood", the HBO mini series, there was an old miner doing levers w/a sledgehammer on a stage show.

• Like 1

Richie this is so funny...I was watching part of that Bond movie and when I saw that crushing of the golfball ...I actually wondered if such strength is possible...I dont think it is....do others think someone could achieve such strength?

Richie this is so funny...I was watching part of that Bond movie and when I saw that crushing of the golfball ...I actually wondered if such strength is possible...I dont think it is....do others think someone could achieve such strength?

Unless its an egg with dimples,I dont think so.

:D

I've seen the movie before but i've forgotten, what exactly does he cursh the golf ball into? is it like a powder or does he just crack into a few peices?

Also a good grip feat is in the first bond film: Dr. No.

Dr. No basically crushes this stone bust of a head i think, in his mechanical hand.

In the movie: " Army of Darkness", where Ash crushes a metal cup with his robotic hand! :cool

When I saw this title this movie came to my head.

i once tried to crush a pool ball haha i thought cuss i could destroy an apple at the time that maybe it would crack..it didnt

clay is a hero! i bet thats the reason. :p

I've seen the movie before but i've forgotten, what exactly does he cursh the golf ball into? is it like a powder or does he just crack into a few peices?

Oddjob (the late Harold Sakata, former weightlifting champ) crushed the golf ball into dust and a couple of larger pieces. This goes to show you that the movies are a terrible place for factual "feats." A golf ball is just about impossible to deform, let alone crush. It is formed by wrapping many, many rubber strands around a solid or liquid center and then covering with the dimpled coating.

You probably could crush one...if you were aided by a hydraulic press of some sort.

Wicked

You probably could crush one...if you were aided by a hydraulic press of some sort.

Or if you were just awesome like Oddjob.

Don't forget the classic Tom Hanks flick, "Bachelor Party", where the ex-boyfriend of Hanks' fiancee crushes a tennis ball with one hand.

Also a good grip feat is in the first bond film: Dr. No.

Dr. No basically crushes this stone bust of a head i think, in his mechanical hand.

Into both

In the movie "Der Seewolf" (Seawolf), a guy crushes a raw potato. Actually it was a cooked one, but in the movie it was presented as raw.

I heard the guy who did that, was able to crush a raw one, and has shown this; don't know whether it's true or not...

Superman 3 or 2 cant remember- When the bearded guy in black at the end of the film gets his hand crushed by superman.

Drunken Master - Jackie Chan crushes walnuts between his thumb and finger

Its not crushing strength at all but when I saw it when I was 14 or so I thought it was cool.

The Fly - when Goldblum snaps the other guys arm in a arm wrestle.

Superman 3 or 2 cant remember- When the bearded guy in black at the end of the film gets his hand crushed by superman.
It was Superman II.

At the end of Superman III, Superman is flying back to Metropolis from Smallville and stops at a coal mine. He picks up a big piece of coal and crushes, he opens his hand and there is a huge diamond inside. :cool

• Like 1

last action hero!!!!! when arnie crushes the walkie-talkie.

i instantly thought of army of darkness as well :rock

• 9 years later...

I remembered this thread and went searching and found it.  I can't believe it's 9-10 years old.  I remember it being more of a "What characters from movies or literature have a strong grip?" discussion.   

Anyway, I'm reading Bram Stoker's Dracula right now and, so far, they have mentioned Count Dracula's hands and/or his prodigious hand strength in every chapter!   

• Like 2

Whilst it wasn’t a movie,  The Six Million Dollar Man (Steve Austin played by Lee Majors) crushing billiard balls in slow motion was always pretty cool.

Also I seem to remember a movie where Charles Bronson breaks a port glass by placing his straightened ring and pinkie inside and separating his fingers.  Apologies for not having the name!