Grip Group at My Place of Work

Bill Piche

Guest Luke Reimer

Wannagrip, how many sets do you do a day? What about reps and rest intervals? (I can't imagine that you do ANY negatives at all). Maybe you are onto something... but I need to know how far to cut back my volume to make it work.

Regards,

Luke

Somewhere between 3-6 heavy singles.  I don't time my rest intervals. I go when ready.  Negatives maybe once a week.  You are right, burn city if I did do them every day.

Update: The newest guy just closed a #3 to within 1/2 inch.  

Yup, we are all just genetic wonders around here. ;)

I wanna go back to something that AnimalCage said.  He got it just right.  There are so many people out there that just do not realise that there is a grip world out the.  I only discovered this site because I was doing a bit of grip work to compliment my weights and was looking up the CoC's.  Because of this lack of awareness there just is so much undiscovered talent out there.  This board gives people the knowledge they need to work their hands hard.  The more and more people realise this and take up grip work, the more CoCs we will have in the future.

What on Earth are you doin, Wanna? You convinced me to go training all-out once per week, something that has worked splendidly for squat and deadlift, and now you bring the best arguments to the table for daily training.

I know, I should be informed, but ... HEEEEELP!!!

:)

Solan, try it with squats and you are likely to be posting from a hospital! :)  

From a "practice" point of view of a lift, of course, the more you can practice the better you will be doing it...just like anything else.  

Reporting in after two weeks of almost daily training.  Each day I did a 5xTrainer warm-up, 2x#1, some #2 singles and about 2 Masters singles and a final set of about 5 reps with the #2.  The first week went well, getting easier each day as I recovered from my main workout.  The second week, however, I did not progress, and towards the end of the week went backwards.  Wannagrip suggested dropping the final set of 5 with the #2 and I have concluded that doing the 2 singles on the Master might be too much for me each day.  Next week I plan on increasing the singles on the #2 and only doing the Master on my main workout day.  After I build up some endurance I’ll bring back the singles with the Master.  It is, as Wannagrip said above, difficult to get used to not being at full strength every day.   Since I could do the Master seemingly everyday I incorporated it into the program, but now I realize that it was too much for a daily basis.  My advice, based on my admittedly preliminary results, is to not go too fast with this program.  If you can barely close the #2, for instance, it is unlikely that you could attempt it everyday, although eventually the hand may adapt to this.  

I also was reading “Developing The Grip and Forearm” by Thomas Inch today and noticed that Inch said this in respect to gripper training (he was referring to torsion spring grippers here):

“If serious business is meant the grip training system should be brought into operation twice daily, morning and evening.”  

This was written in 1952, so everyone can see that this type of training is not a new idea.

• 1 month later...

Update: He's down to a 1/4" on a #3.

He's doing multiple singles with the BBM now.

Yikes!!  And how long did you say he has been grip training?  That's truly incredible!!   :)