Andre The Giant Hand Size

gripuru

Now that's a monster.....A very heavy monster....But he died at 47 years old...strange for an athlete.Even if i am very late to say say this for this wonder of the nature, You may rest in peace, You are with God now.

We all go back to our god sooner or later. Whatever gifts are given to you, you only have a limited time to capitalize on them. Andre lived a big life to match his big stature.

Your pretty much right oldtimer, but still... if you look closely at that first pic the bottom of the palm was still lower than the other guys and Andre's also look more bent down than the other guys (probably because the other's guy's hand's were shorter.) All in all I'd say Andre had about 3 inches (because the amount on Andre's middle finger above the other guys middle finger looks like almost one of the other guys fingers) above that guy's hands and maybe 1 inch below the bottom of the guy. So that puts Andre at about 7.5 + 4 which equals 11.5. I think that's a very reasonable amount.

I think a logical thought about his hand size might be the tip to tip width between the pinky and thumb. My hand is not "large" but a good sized 7 3/4" and the tip to tip measure is almost exactly 10". Soooo.... add another 3 inches on each side and I wouldn't be surprised if Andre's tip to tip was 16". I would think his hand length was judging from the photo about 10 1/2 to 11 1/2" . RS

That's INCREDIBLE Richard...... my hands are exactly one inch longer than yours and yet my hand span from pinky to thumb is exactly the same as yours, 10" ! Either you have VERY long thumbs & pinkys or I have VERY short ones :-))

Dan

Measuring as best as I can,In a diagonal direction across my palm....My pinky=2.75", Palm measured on angle thumb base to pinky base 4.25", and thumb 3.00"=10" I just checked my middle finger length...3.25" and palm from base of middle finger to base of hand crease 4.5"=7 3/4. RS

Measuring as best as I can,In a diagonal direction across my palm....My pinky=2.75", Palm measured on angle thumb base to pinky base 4.25", and thumb 3.00"=10" I just checked my middle finger length...3.25" and palm from base of middle finger to base of hand crease 4.5"=7 3/4. RS

The one part that is difficult to measure is the pinky to thumb tip to tip spread. Yours do seem a little larger than "average". I believe that the palm of your hand may be a little larger in proportion to your fingers themselves.

My hands are just under 8 inches, but my palm portion is smaller and my fingers are longer than yours. My brother, who is 5 years my senior, and has been lifting weights 30 years longer than I have, cannot close the #2, and our hands are the same length, except his fingers are longer than mine and his palms are smaller than mine. He commented several years ago "that was why your grip is better than mine". I know we seem to obssess on nutty details at times, but the larger palms may be an important part of grip strength. I am not sure if we have talked much about that aspect on this board.

In any event, Richard, we appreciate your willingness to throw out such mundane statistics for us to ponder and analyze. Thanks.

Hubgeezer

The one part that is difficult to measure is the pinky to thumb tip to tip spread. Yours do seem a little larger than "average". I believe that the palm of your hand may be a little larger in proportion to your fingers themselves.

My hands are just under 8 inches, but my palm portion is smaller and my fingers are longer than yours. My brother, who is 5 years my senior, and has been lifting weights 30 years longer than I have, cannot close the #2, and our hands are the same length, except his fingers are longer than mine and his palms are smaller than mine. He commented several years ago "that was why your grip is better than mine". I know we seem to obssess on nutty details at times, but the larger palms may be an important part of grip strength. I am not sure if we have talked much about that aspect on this board.

In any event, Richard, we appreciate your willingness to throw out such mundane statistics for us to ponder and analyze. Thanks.

Hubgeezer

sounds fascinating and you might be on right track...

I just measured my hands and realized that my palm is quite a bit larger compared to my fingers, in other words, i have short fingers and thick palms... my hands at only 7 1/4" while circumfere of my palm is 8" measured from widest point, and my palm lenght being 4 1/4" with middle finger being only 3" long...

so, thick palms means strong grip?

That's interesting.... my pinkies and thumbs MUST be short because my measurements are all the same as yours Richard, except for the fact my middle fingers are 3.75", and overall hand length is 8.75.

It IS interesting how fingers and palm size can have an impact on the potential grip strength....

Dan

Well my pinky and thumb are both 2.5'' (Can anyone say midget thumb?) and I have 7 3/4'' long hands. My pinky to thumb spread is about 9'' if I really extend them.

Also, to whoever said "so thick palms = strong grip?" I think you make your palms thicker by grip training don't you? So it would technically be true but it would be like saying "Big biceps = strong curl?". IMO of course.Also, that be a good way to tell why people with longer hands have a better grip, because usually, longer hand = thicker palm, but of course there are exceptions, which is why people with short hands may have a killer grip compared to people with long skinny hands.

Well my pinky and thumb are both 2.5'' (Can anyone say midget thumb?) and I have 7 3/4'' long hands. My pinky to thumb spread is about 9'' if I really extend them.

Also, to whoever said "so thick palms = strong grip?" I think you make your palms thicker by grip training don't you? So it would technically be true but it would be like saying "Big biceps = strong curl?". IMO of course.Also, that be a good way to tell why people with longer hands have a better grip, because usually, longer hand = thicker palm, but of course there are exceptions, which is why people with short hands may have a killer grip compared to people with long skinny hands.

Well..... I'm right there with you on the midget digits :-)) We'll just have to do the best we can with our "handicaps" ! I know my hands have gotten considerably thicker since I started thick bar work, it's made a big difference.

Dan

Well..... I'm right there with you on the midget digits :-)) We'll just have to do the best we can with our "handicaps" ! I know my hands have gotten considerably thicker since I started thick bar work, it's made a big difference.

Dan

Well it's funny when I compare my thumb with my sisters who is a foot shorter than me and it's barely bigger. :cool But what you said gives me hope.

Also, can you palm a basketball? I can't but I think you may because your hand is an inch longer.

Bliss commented the circumference of his palm was 8"... that did seem a bit odd. I checked mine and don't feel like my hand is anywhere near as thick as lets say Bill Kazmier who to me has a "thick" hand but still mine measured at 10" around. Any other feedback out there? Esp. with guys having my 7.75 length and 10" tip to tip like mine. RS

Bliss commented the circumference of his palm was 8"... that did seem a bit odd. I checked mine and don't feel like my hand is anywhere near as thick as lets say Bill Kazmier who to me has a "thick" hand but still mine measured at 10" around. Any other feedback out there? Esp. with guys having my 7.75 length and 10" tip to tip like mine. RS

I just measured my palm circumference it came out at 9''. I already mentioned I have 7.75'' length but I can only close the Trainer. tip to tip is about 8.5''. Here's what I got for each finger measuring palm up:

little finger - 2.5''

ring finger - 3.2''

Middle finger - 3.5''

Index finger - 3.1''

Thumb - 2.5''

So this is probably close to an average man's hand measures except my palm is probably a little longer.

--fist size is a common measurement in boxing--to compare your fist think of---john l. sullivan at 14".primo carnera 14 3/4" sonny liston 15"---

measurements of the heavyweights

an old friend of mine--now deceased--hank kaplan-author and owner/editor of 'boxing digest'--{no longer in print}-

---

- was around many--possibly all-- of the heavyweight champs --he noted that sonny listons fists were enormous--

-hank had seen em all--

Dan

Well it's funny when I compare my thumb with my sisters who is a foot shorter than me and it's barely bigger. :cool But what you said gives me hope.

Also, can you palm a basketball? I can't but I think you may because your hand is an inch longer.

Yes, I can palm a basketball easily. I'm sure it is just the overall length that makes the difference there.

Dan

According to the Swedish edeition of the Guiness book of world records, Robert Wadlow had hands 32,5 centimeters long (about 12,8 inhes) but they did mention another guy, a German I think, who was almost a toot shorter than Wadlow but had hands 37,5 cm long.

According to the Swedish edeition of the Guiness book of world records, Robert Wadlow had hands 32,5 centimeters long (about 12,8 inhes) but they did mention another guy, a German I think, who was almost a toot shorter than Wadlow but had hands 37,5 cm long.

Those are some frying pans!