Andre The Giant Hand Size

gripuru

I read here in the gripboard that he had 16 inches hands. As i couldnt believe it i started to search in the internet and yes this was true.

He had the largest hands i´ve ever heard.

Here is a link:

http://www.andrethegiant.com/wrestling.html

This is a huge hand but i dont think it´s 16 inches:

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/a/andre/71.jpg

Edited by gripuru

Sometimes I think I've read people measuring the hands from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the pinky finger. This way you get a larger measurement.

Sometimes I think I've read people measuring the hands from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the pinky finger. This way you get a larger measurement.

They should have measured his hand like that, it´s imposible to have 16 inches hands from the top of the wrist to the tip of the middle finger

Now that's a monster.....A very heavy monster....But he died at 47 years old...strange for an athlete.Even if i am very late to say say this for this wonder of the nature, You may rest in peace, You are with God now.

Edited by Blackheart

Well I remember someone posting about this guy in like Venezuala or something being near or over 8 feet tall. The article said his hands were about 14 inches long. The link should still be on the board somewhere.

I just got done watching the Hulkamania Lives Forever DVD and saw some footage of Andre patting a young Hulkster on the chest and it looked like a Prime Rib falling on him.

-Jedd-

I read here in the gripboard that he had 16 inches hands. As i couldnt believe it i started to search in the internet and yes this was true.

Here is a link:

Andre the Giant did have 16 inch hands, he had a chromosomal disorder that prevented his HGH production from slowing down after puberty. His bones, muscles, and organs continued to grow untill he died, this of course is what killed him.

I watched an interview with him where he said he struggled all his life with the concept that God allowed a disease that made men huge and strong but killed them early.

Here is a link:

Andre the Giant did have 16 inch hands, he had a chromosomal disorder that prevented his HGH production from slowing down after puberty. His bones, muscles, and organs continued to grow untill he died, this of course is what killed him.

I watched an interview with him where he said he struggled all his life with the concept that God allowed a disease that made men huge and strong but killed them early.

In all fairness I don't remember how his hands were measured, I just remember the interview from when I was much younger

Here is a link:

In all fairness I don't remember how his hands were measured, I just remember the interview from when I was much younger

If they were 16 Inches, they would of been twice the length of this guys hand.

My Webpage

Here is a link:

If they were 16 Inches, they would of been twice the length of this guys hand.

My Webpage

Yeah, like I said I really don't know how they measured his hands, and they probably wern't interested in measuring hand size as it relates to strength, just the largest, most sensational number they could come up with.

Immediatly after I posted about his genetic disease I realized although the interview i saw said he had 16 inch hands, BUT, not only did I not see them measure his hands I had no real knowledge of how hands were measured anyway, that is what i get for typing before i think!

According to the Guiness book of records the largest hands (measured from middle finger tip to wrist) were Robert Wadlocks:

12.7"

Found that info accidently last week while cruising through the book with the son of my girl.

According to the Guiness book of records the largest hands (measured from middle finger tip to wrist) were Robert Wadlocks:

12.7"

Found that info accidently last week while cruising through the book with the son of my girl.

You mean Robert Wadlow. I've heard 13.5" but it could be 12.7" Not only did he have the biggest hands ever but he was the tallest man ever at 8'11", and unlike many who were near that height, he was close to normal proportions rather than looking like a regular man on stilts or anything like that. I think his shoulders were also near 36" wide.

Yes Robert Wadlow was the name, my memory served me wrong.

Thanks.

Just look at the picture of the hand(pic71 posted)....assuming the guy had 8" hand...Andre had probably something around 10"....which still makes for huge hands but 16 is far fetched along with the rest of "wrestling" from WWF and other such organizations

Back in the early 80's I stood next to Andre at the Catholic Youth Center in Scranton PA after a wrestling show. He was ENORMOUS. Sgt Slaughter looked like a child next to him.

I think I remember reading in one of Dale Harder's books what his hands were. I will PM him and he can chime in on the size.

Hbgzr

im pretty sure the measurements were around, as in the fist size - all his and big show (current wrestling giant) measurements were put in a wrestling mag to compare, an every measurement is around - it points to the fist an says hand

mines around 12 an half, andre wins..

i think its a fist measurement like viper said not hand length ofcourse....

thinking that his handLENGTH was 16 inch would even be more dumb than thinking louis cyr's calf was really 28 inch :whacked

still a huge and very thick hand ofcourse ;)

Edited by thabull

I think a logical thought about his hand size might be the tip to tip width between the pinky and thumb. My hand is not "large" but a good sized 7 3/4" and the tip to tip measure is almost exactly 10". Soooo.... add another 3 inches on each side and I wouldn't be surprised if Andre's tip to tip was 16". I would think his hand length was judging from the photo about 10 1/2 to 11 1/2" . RS

I believe you will find many NBA players that have hands near to or equal to Andre`s hand size. That is if Andre`s hand size is 10 /2 - 11 inches.

In length, I agree but the girth of his hand was even more impressive.

Andre's hands were about 10" long. Here's the evidence: 1. There's a photo in "Strong, Stronger, Strongest" (see www.strengthopedia.com for more info about the book) on p. 25 of Andre's hand dwarfing a Canadian beer can. The can is 4 7/8" high. By careful measurement of the photo, the length of the hand, when straightend up and from the tip of the middle finger to the crease just below the palm would be 10" to 10 1/4".

2. Look at the first photo on this thread where Andre's hand is about 2 1/2" longer than the "average man's hand" next to him. The average man is supposed to have a hand of 7 1/2" to 7 3/4" long according to David Willoughby, famed anthropometrist. We can only assume that this guy in the pic is average, so about 10" is a pretty good estimate there too.

3. If Andre's hand were truly 16" it woul be over twice the length of this average man's hand--clearly not even close as seen in the photo.

4. Wrestling promoters tend to exaggerate. Andre's true height was between 6'10 and 7'0, with 6'10 being more probable--not the 7'4 or 7'5 that wrestling promoters often quoted, so one should suspect 16" hand measurements as well.

5. Like someone else pointed out--Robert Wadlow 8'11.1--the tallest documented man that ever lived-- had the longest hand, per the Guinness Book, of 12 3/4". Since Wadlow was about two feet taller (think of that--two feet taller!) it is reasonable that Wadlow's hand would be much larger than Andre's--even with Andre's acromegaly. Calculate a proportion, using the 6'10 figure for Andre, then one would find an expected hand size of 9 3/4" for Andre. Let's assume Andre's acromegaly, or gigantism, affected his hand growth a little more than Wadlow's and one finds a figure of about 10" for Andre's hand length ( not his width) to be quite reasonable.

Edited by oldtimer