Lifting big stones for women

Guest kINGPIN

Guest kINGPIN

Half of my familly comes from Cyprus and in the village that they come from by the church there is a huge rock and when I was a nipper, I was told that it was a tradition that the man had to lift this rock if he wanted to marry the woman in question.  - at least this was what I was told, not sure if it is true or not but it is a good story.  I remember thinking how imoveable it was and how anyone could lift it.  I tryed when I was a scrawny 15 year old but just could not get a grip on the thing.  When I go back I now aim to give it a run for its money.  

Roark, does this tradition ring a bell? or was it just a joke someone was playing on me, if I get a hernia I want it to be worth while.    :D

My guess is that the stone symbolized the burden of marriage. The stress of lifting the stone is temporary compared to the enduring stress of marriage. The prospective groom is to imagine the rounded back strain enduring for the rest of his life. Speaking is very difficult during stone lifting so this helps for the inevitable arguments that arise in marriage.

I wonder how hair loss is symbolized. Lifting the stone with your hair would do it.

Guest Daniel J

You're so lucky. None of the churches around here have any rocks that challenge my abilities. There IS a nice one half in and out of the mud next to the parking lot at my kid's school.

I don't see why you would need any kind of excuse to lift rocks but that's me. Have fun. Show those people who's the boss!

Guest kINGPIN

Tom, at the moment I do not deadlift but I do squat so mayber I might get back to the deads as that would be a must.  Other then that I hope by the time I try it my grip will be strong enough to hang on to that beast.

Daniel, bear in mind I live in England so it is a bit of a treck to go pick up rocks.  :)   There are none around here either, its all flat fenland.  Time to move to Scotland.

Kingpin,

Ask the members of the church about that stone!  What you might have is a "lifting stone" with some history - find out about that history!  Lifting stones had a number of different reasons that they came into being - testing manhood, training for battle, bragging rights - what have you.  I would also suggest that you read the book, "Of Stones And Strength" by Peter Martin and Steve Jeck.  Talk to as many people as possible, including church elders.  Then you might want to erect a sign next to the stone describing it's history!  Then, when the Mighty Sybersnott gets over there and lifts that stone, you can add that bit of history to the sign!!   :)

Guest kINGPIN

Sounds like a good idea, i'll ask my mum about it tonight and see if it was just a joke or whether it was a real tradition.  i hope it is the latter because that would make it all worth while.