Roark Vs The Pegasus

Roark

90 x 1 , Joe that's incredible!!

Thanks. I think if I had not done the 80 x 10 before the 90 I would have been good for two, maybe 3 reps- that, of course, is a guess.

Based on my experience with the Formulator, when I had one, I believe I could get 100 for a rep now, because there was a 10-15 per cent increase over the Peg2 due to the non-offset handles.

Anyway, I am having fun with the Peg and making progress. Eventually, I hope to be able to do a rep on the Peg2 with 50% of my bodyweight (I now weigh 203). So a diet would help :rolleyes

Thanks. I think if I had not done the 80 x 10 before the 90 I would have been good for two, maybe 3 reps- that, of course, is a guess.

Based on my experience with the Formulator, when I had one, I believe I could get 100 for a rep now, because there was a 10-15 per cent increase over the Peg2 due to the non-offset handles.

Anyway, I am having fun with the Peg and making progress. Eventually, I hope to be able to do a rep on the Peg2 with 50% of my bodyweight (I now weigh 203). So a diet would help :rolleyes

Bet you will be doing that within a month Joe....

Bet you will be doing that within a month Joe....

You may be right...I have been thinking about going on a diet... :tongue Actually I have lost about 20 lbs while increasing weights on the Peg2.

I have been on the road for three days and did not feel not working out, but played around.

Oct 2, 2006:

Flex 35 x 10

50 x 10

6 x 6

80 x 1

90 x 3 sloppy

80 x 6

70 x 10

Ext

10 x 10

15 for two sets of 10

reverse cable curls

Barbell wrist curls

135 x 6

155 x 3

175 x 1

135 x 6

When do you think you'll do 100x1?

I may never do it. But if my progress continues at this pace, hopefully by Thanksgiving this year. The load will be two 45s plus a 10. If I get the 100, then that will also be 50% of my bodyweight. If I lose 3 lbs before then...

Oct 5, 2006:

Flex

35 x 10

50 x 10

60 x 6

80 x 10 (9 good, one sloppy)

90 x 1 (plus 3 cheats)

70 x 10 good

usual exts and recerse curls with cable

I now am confident I can get 90 lbs for a good rep at each workout. But my goal is to get a good set of 10 with 80. When I move up to 85, the leverage will change and feel like more than 85. The load will be 45-35-5.

When I can cheat 5 or 6 reps with 90, I am guessing I will then be able to get 100 for a single.

Oct 9, 2006:

Today, I switched my routine and played around.

35 x 10

50 x 10

70 x 2

80 x 1

90 x 1

100 x 2 cheats (could not manage a third rep)

80 x 6

80 x 5

50 x 25 could have done a few more reps

50 x 15 could not have done more without cheating

The difference between 90 and 100 'seems' to me far greater than any other ten pound jump I have made.

What I mean by cheating: Feet must remain flat on the floor (no heel raised), elbows must remain on thighs (no 'rocking' the weight by raising the elbows and using the wrists as pivots). But I use momentum to my advantage. At this point I do not feel I could cheat 105 no matter what I do... but I will before long. After cheating 100 for two reps, the 80 seemed much lighter, even though fatigue had taken up residence.

This will be my final post until I can resume heavy workouts- probably a few weeks.

Flex:

35 x 10

50 x 10

70 x 1

80 x 1

90 x 5 (one good 4 cheats)

70 x 10

50 x 10 for 5 sets- could have done more sets

I will resume posting when I can continue at this level.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently tried some wrist curls with a barbell. Although I have occasionally done a few reps with the barbell over the past months, not enough to make nay difference- and certainly not heavy.

empty bar a few reps

95 x 10

115 x 10

135 x 6

160 x 1

180 x 1

200 x 1

210 x 1

220 x 1

230 x 1 shouldn't really count this rep

180 x 10

That was a few days ago and my left wrist has been tingling since, so I will return to the Peg2 and ignore the barbell until I feel the urge for more crossover comparisons. My best ever barbell was ten reps with 200, and in a few workout I could be back to that level (could have done more than 10 with the 180), but I don't want my wrist to tingle, so I will stay with Peg2 which does not bother my wrists of forearms.

This morning on the Peg2

35 x 10

50 x 10

70 x 10

90 x 1

55 x 10 for two sets

Didn't feel like pushing it today.

Oct 26, 2006 some variety and a change of direction.

Sitting on end of bench with forearms on thighs, flex:

35 x 10

55 x 10 (had been using 50)

70 x 10 good style

Dd not go heavier this morning and do not plan to go heavier for awhile, will coast for a few workouts.

Then, using 50 lbs, with forearms placed on end of bench did two sets of ten- this position is very much harder than over knees, and this position makes it harder to cheat by using momentum.

In ext, I changed the position of the Peg2 handle- moving the top handle closer to the bottom handle so that I could just barely get my hands between the bars. This, of course, allowed me to use more weight, though not as much as had the handles been one atop the other as in the F. Nonetheless I got a set of 10 with 15 lbs using six 2.5 lb plates, then a set of ten using a ten and a five lb plate. I could not do a rep with 20 lbs, but that may have been because I was tri-setting wrist twists on the wrist roller, lying reverse cable curls and the P2, or it may be because I was not strong enough, but I suspect two sets of ten with 15 would mean one rep with 20 islikely. No matter-I did not do it.

Oct 30, 2006

flex:

35 x 12

55 x 10

70 x 10

then forearms on bench end:

50 x 10 for three sets

then forearms over knees while sitting on extra pad for more decline:

50 x 10

For ext I did lying reverse cable curls with wrist flips when the bar reached chin level, and some wrist twists on the wrist roller, and some playing on the Hammer Strength grip machine.

I will move up to 52.5 lbs for the sets of ten on bench at my next workout, and will continue to use 70 for my heaviest set.

This is almost like a vacation from pushing myself; fun again. I will push harder (or should I say pull harder) when the urge hits me again.

Nov 2, 2006 bodywt 203

Blah workout.

Flex:

35 x 12

50 x 10

70 x 5

52.5 on bench end 2 sets 10

45 x 10

Just did not feel like doing it today, but rather than skip I went through the motions.

• 2 weeks later...

Nov 15, 2006

Have lately been experimenting with load order.

This morning:

35 lb plate, 12 reps

45 + 5 for ten reps

two 25 lb plates, 2 sets of ten

45 + 25 for ten reps

back to two 25s for two more sets of ten

The two 25s are much more difficult than a 45 + 5, both because half the weight is farther from the hands, and, at least it appears to me, the shorter plate diameter offers a different, harder, strength curve. Perhaps this is in my head, but it sure seems so to me.

Nov 30, 2006:

Flex with two 25s:

50 x 15

60 x 10 (added a ten pound plate)

60 x 10

50 x 15

50 x 10

These are weights I would play with if I made the load:

45+5, or 45+10+10.

I prefer using the 25s.

• 2 weeks later...

Dec 13, 2006:

For a change of pace, I used a barbell today and left the Peg2 at home.

Over knees:

empty bar 12 reps

95 x 10

115 x 10

135 x 6

155 x 6

175 x 6

195 x 2

Over pad (bench):

175 x 6

155 x 6

135 x 10

My left hand was hurting after this- really hurting.

Very disappointing 'feel'. The P2 offers a more direct hit and I will return to it next workout.

• 11 years later...

I have been searching for this thread on my site, forgetting it was posted here. This was 12 years ago! I can no longer do anything close to what I did then, partly (I hope) because I simply stopped using the Peg2 and stopped doing heavy wrist curls after I managed 5 or 6 reps with the barbell with 225 lbs when I weighed 205 or so. I could do 200 for a set of ten anytime I was rested, following some warm-up sets.

Now at 75, I am giving some thought to resuming the Peg2.

• Like 1