August 24, 2006 bodyweight 201 lbs

Flex:

35 x 10

50 x 10

60 x 5

75 x 6

90 x 2 cheats

70 x 10

I now know, unless I have an off day, that I can get a set of 10 with 70 anytime I am ready and rested for my next workout. My habit has been Monday/Thursday. Mondays I do more reps.

Next workout I will continue to use 75 for my top set and try for 7 or 8 reps.

The 90 felt very heavy, and only by getting it swinging at the bottom was I able to get the first rep and then by catching it on the swing got a second rep. A third rep would not have been possible today. But I figure whatever poundage I can cheat today I will be able to do properly in a few weeks/months using the system I have in place.

August 28, 2006:

Flex:

35 x 10

50 x 10

60 x 6

75 x 7 good plus 3 cheats

80 for 5 cheats

60 for 3 sets of ten

Ext:

4 sets ten with 10 alternated with four sets of lying reverse cable curls

I am finding, that for me, using heavy cheats and then dropping the weight down for strict sets is helping me to increase.

Goal for next workout 8 good reps with 75 plus a couple cheats.

August 31, 2006:

I almost skipped the workout today, but wanted to remain on my Monday/Thursday routine. It worked out well.

Flex:

35 x 10 This felt much heavier than it has felt in the most recent workouts; strange.

50 x 10

60 x 6

75 x 10 (8 good, two cheats)

80 x 5 cheats

95 x 1 cheat

100 x 1 cheat

70 x 10 good

I wanted to try to cheat 100 for a rep as a psychological matter. The load was two 45s plus a 10. I remember the first time I tried to cheat one rep with 70 lbs- it was as though a whole group of Weight Watchers folks was standing on my hands- it did not budge. Now I can go a good set of ten with 70, no cheating. So the 100 to me represents another goal- eventual goal. First I want to get a good set with 80- and that is several weeks away. The cheats are dangerous, but I prefer them to micro-loading which to me is tedious, and as long as the system I am using offers progress, I will stay with it.

Ext: sets of ten reps with 10, 15, 15, 10/alternated with reverse cable curls.

Goal for next workout 75 x 9, maybe even 10 good reps.

Your progress is fantastic. I like this approach as well, I may "borrow" some of this.

Congrats on the 100 pound!!! Cheat rep or not that is a lot of weight.

. The cheats are dangerous, but I prefer them to micro-loading which to me is tedious, and as long as the system I am using offers progress, I will stay with it.

Sometimes you have to take the bull by the horns.

Sep 4, 2006:

35 x 10

50 x 10

60 x 6

75 x 8 plus 2 cheats

75 x 5 cheats

60 for 3 sets of 10 good.

Was hoping for 9 or 10 good reps with 75, but not today. Perhaps Thursday.

By any chance are you going to try a max BB wrist curl to see how much carry over there is? I'd figure your BBWC would be through the roof

By any chance are you going to try a max BB wrist curl to see how much carry over there is? I'd figure your BBWC would be through the roof

I may sometime after my progress levels off, but I don't want to disrupt the progress.

The feel of the Peg2 is totally unlike the feel of the barbell.

More likely what I will do, to work back into barbell wrist curls, is include a set after the Peg2 work in the same workout, to see what they feel like these days. But I was very prone to injury with heavy barbell WCs, which is not at all a danger with the Peg2. And, I rather enjoy being pain free. :rock

I got a PEG2 and tried it tonight for a few reps. I only did the Ext movement with a measly 10 pound plate and in 10 or 15 reps I was getting weak. I think I could do a little more but does this meager poundage mean I am extremely weak when it come to the ext. movement or am I just below average?

I know it is a foolsih question but I had to get some kind of reference from a a man who has used the Peg2 on a consistant bases enough to know what is weak or strong or just decent.

Don't worry about hurting my feeling as it will only motivate me in the long run - just the truth please. :blush >>>-- :tongue ----->

Sep 7, 2006:

35 x 10

50 x 10

60 x 6

75 x 6 good 4 sloppy

80 x 5 cheats

60 x 10 good.

Then with a barbell, a set of 5 reps with 135.

I plan to stop the cheats for awhile and return to two sets of ten with good form, so I will top off at 70 lbs next workout. I may even return to 20 rep sets for variety (not with 70 though).

I am not very advanced on extensions. I am using only 15 now, and GatorGrip did this on his FIRST workout!

I am not very advanced on extensions. I am using only 15 now, and GatorGrip did this on his FIRST workout!

Thanks Mr. Roark for your motivating comment which tells me I am not as weak as I had feared. I appreciate you posting your log so we can see the positive results of a progressive and consistent training regimen.

JOE MAY YOU CONTINUE TO GET STRONGER BY THE WORKOUT!

Thanks Mr. Roark for your motivating comment which tells me I am not as weak as I had feared. I appreciate you posting your log so we can see the positive results of a progressive and consistent training regimen.

JOE MAY YOU CONTINUE TO GET STRONGER BY THE WORKOUT!

I began extensions using very light weight, but I was doing them with my forearms cross-wise over a bench (harder) and with straight arms, over my propped up knees sitting on a bench (hardest). Recently I began doing them over my knees as I sit on the end of a bench- same way as I do flexion. Much easier, and I am making progress, but I have a long way to go.

The head start I had from decades of heavy wrist curls on a barbell helped my with Peg2, but I had done no corresponding exercise for my extensors, at least not on a regular basis.

Look in your rear view mirror- that's me in the distance :mosher

Sep 11, 2006

Flex:

35 x 10

50 x 10

70 x 10

70 x 10 (5 good, 5 sloppy)

50 x 15

50 x 15

Ext:

10 x 10

15 x 8

15 x 4

10 x 12

10 x 12

Goal for next workout 12 reps in first set with 70.

Sep 14, 2006

Goal met!

Flex warmup:

35 x 10

50 x 10

60 x 6

then

70 x 12 all good!

70 x 6 good

55 x 15

55 x 15

I remember the first time I tried a single with 70 (months ago)- it literally did not budge for even one rep, so I am doing something right.

goal for next workout 2 setc of 10 with 70, although I dislike stopping at 10 reps if I have a few more in me. I am experimenting at this point, because 75 felt like such a roadblock, so if after 10 reps of the first set I have a few more reps, I may try for 13. I will judge that on Monday.

This twice per week system is working well for me.

Ext:

4 sets of ten with 10 lbs. Next workout I will go to 12.5 lbs.

Joe,

For 70 pounds how are you loading the weight? What plates in what order?

Thanks,

Greg

I use a 45 first then a 25. When I was trying 75, I added a 5 lb plate last; when using 80: 45 +35.

For the extensions, I usually use 2.5 lb plates for more finger room.

For fun once I put a 45 lb plate at the far end of the horn and did some reps- much heavier than having it closest.

Sep 18, 2006, GREAT WORKOUT!

Flex:

35 x 10 (next workout I may use 40 as my starting set warmup)

50 x 10

60 x 6 so very easy that I knew I had 75 in me so,

75 x 10 good reps [load 45+25+5]

75 x 5 good reps

55 for two sets of 10

Ext: 12.5 lbs for four sets of ten

Then I used the LSA pulled the pin out of the stack and did 5 reps.

Next workout, depending on how the 60 feels for the warm-up, I may try 80 for my max set and hope for 7 reps. [load 45+35]

Has your barbell WC's increased a lot since using this?

Has your forearm mass increased a lot since using this?

Has your--err, wait, I assume your overall forearm strength HAS to have increased since using this :-)

Has your barbell WC's increased a lot since using this?

Has your forearm mass increased a lot since using this?

Has your--err, wait, I assume your overall forearm strength HAS to have increased since using this :-)

Barbell wrist curl- don't know, but I suspect I cannot do what I used to based on how hard some lighter weights are, but until I stop making regular progress on the Peg2, I don'y plan to detour to find out. Not too many days ago I did five reps with 135 in the barbell wrist curl AFTER my Peg2 workout and those five reps were hard, but had I not done the Peg2 that weight would have been a warm-up.

Forearm mass, not really. Better shape, more definition, but no growth. But keep in mind I am four months away from age 64, so my hormone levels are probably not going to give me the results that a much younger man would experience.

Sep 21, 2006:

Flex:

35 x 10 (decided to stay light for warmup)

50 x 10

60 x 6 (next workout will go to ten reps)

80 x 6

70 x 10

55 x 12 for 2 sets

Ext:

3 sets of 10 kneeling, forearms over bench, alternated with sets of reverse curls on cable machine. I went down from 12.5 lbs to 10 because of how I perform the ext. I can use a little more weight over my knees, but it is easier to cheat, plus, I like the variety.

Next workout I will increase my warm-up reps with 60 to 10, then go to 80 and get as many as I can. I will stay with 80 until I can get 10 reps for first set, and move up in weight after I can manage sets of 10 and at least 5 on the second set. That may take some time. But I have four months until my birthday/target date to get a set with 90, so I am on track. I hope.

I am confident that this morning, had I stopped with one rep at 80, I could have managed one rep with 90- that's a guess, of course, but it is based on considerable history of how I react to weights/reps.

Sep 25, 2006:

Flex:

35 x 10

50 x 10

60 x 6

80 x 7

70 x 10 good

2 sets of 10 with 70- horrible style but I cheated them.

Usual; extensions and cable curls.

Thursday I hope for 8 reps with 80.

Sep 28, 2006:

Flex:

35 x 10

50 x 10

60 x 6

80 x 8 plus 2 cheats

90 x 1

70 x 10 for two sets

Ext two sets with 10 2 sets with 15 using all 2.5 lb plates. Usual cable reverse curls.

Goal next Monday: 9 reps with 80