Are Weak Men Allowed To Post Routines!?

lifesnotfair

Read everyone's gripper workout schedules, I think you will find that very helpful. I also work grippers first.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lifesnotfair

• Scott Styles

• superfeemiman

• Teemu I

Teemu and pdoire: you guys are both right. I think doing 3 sets of wrist curls and 3 more of reverse wrist curls (thumbless, these last ones) are tiring my forearms/hands before I hit the grippers. After work today I'm gonna try just warming up with a rep or two on the T, and going for an attempt on the #1. Then I'll try the strapholds, which I have but have hardly ever used. It sucks when one finds a gripper too easy (I can do about 25+ reps on the T, opening it up beyond parallel) and the next gripper too hard (can't rep the #1, I've closed it a couple of times though). And my left is weaker, I can rep the T only a few times, and the #1 feels like a rock on that hand. Geez, I think I wasted 20 bucks buying a #2, I'm so far away on that thing, it's not even funny.

I mailed the PDA guy yesterday and he says they'll ship the ISG today. I hope I can make some progress with it too.

Indeed, felt much stronger with the grippers today. I slammed the #1 shut a few times (singles of course), even after repping the T a bit. My thumbs really hurt... not injury pain, but you know, they've been working out a lot, specially since this week I started lifting weights, so they're doing more work than usual too.

After grippers, I did some TTK with 2 hands... I used 15-18 lbs for 3 sets. I pinched a bit on the IM block, lifted 40lbs again with my right (still no chalk, slippery thing). Did some extensors, played with the sledge (this thing is hard!)... and now, when I try to lever it to my forehead with my left hand, something in my upper forearm hurts, so I'll try not to do that for a while with that arm. Levering is truly difficult, my wrists are weak as hell.

I'm using green extensor bands too, and did wrist curls. My reverse is improving a liiiiittle bit, good. The ISG was shipped today and I expect it by the end of next week or early in the week above (it ships to Miami but then overseas to me, in the Dominican Republic).

Gonna do grippers before anything from now on, felt great. Oh, I almost forgot! I did some strapholds with IM straps (the thinner one). I tried with my left but couldn't even lift a 10llb plate on IM's loading pin. My left sucks. However, I could lift 16lbs for several secs with my right. (Using the Trainer, obviously). I tried with 20lbs but could not succeed. I'll get those 20 on monday, the Trainer is like a toy for my right hand by now. I wonder how this lbs in strapholds translate into another gripper. I know even I've shut the #1 a couple of times, it's still not time to use the straps on that gripper, I need to dominate it more.

Yesterday, 07.08.2006.

I felt strong today! I took pdoire's and Teemu's advise and worked grippers first, both friday and yesterday. I finally see some progress!

When I closed the T with my right hand, I thought I was gonna break it! I was shocked, so I had to try the #1, and I closed it easily (with a set to almost parallel or a bit wider). I then warmed up (lol) doing 10 reps on the T with each hand (finally got 10 reps on the left fully closing it in all of them). I tried many single closes on the #1, closing it with my right in each and everyone of them... don't know how many it was, but almost 10. With my left, I was getting it to 5-6 mm which is also a PR. Actually, I felt so strong I decided to give my #2 a try! But my hands were VERY tired at that point (it was at the end of the workout), but I still got it to less than an inch, maybe 3/4 give or take a few.

But before trying that #2, I did wrist curls with dumbells, reverse wrist curls with a straight bar (I'm now placing 7.5lbs on each side of the bar), and 3 sets of TTK (20lbs for the last one, it's still very hard at this weight).

My thumbs are sore so I didn't do the pinch block or pinch hub. It seems I've been working out my thumbs a lot too at the gym too, since I started working out.

Extensors with Green bands (decided to stop using the white ones at all yesterday), and contrast baths.

It's good that you train your grip in various ways, but I think you might be trying to improve on too many things at the same time or shall we say within same workout. You might want to cycle your grip training a bit. That is the way to make sure that you are as fresh as possible for every aspect of grip strength. One way to do that would be to train your wrists separately, for example. Your grip workouts would be shorter and you would recover from them faster.

I'm glad that you gave that tip a try to work grippers first. Seems to me like it was worth it! :cool

Teemu: I was thinking about that too, maybe I ought to do forearm work at the gym while I'm surrounded by the weights...

It certainly paid out man, because the wrist curls and reverse wrist curls were tiring my hands a LOT before the grippers, therefore my performance with them was sucking, big time. Time is always an issue, my wife hates all grip stuff because of how long it takes me. (always over an hour!) ... so yeah, I'm gonna quickly do the forearm workout while at the gym which should only add a couple of mins there, and less time when I'm @ home doing grip stuff.

BTW, I didn't mention it but I felt soooo much stronger than the T, that I felt a need to "grind" the handles, heheheh... I know, it's lame, being only a T... but whatever, felt nice :P .. maybe I can grind it so much, I will file it some by just grinding it? ... just joking :)

Bah... after feeling strong on monday, wednesday sucked. Some calluses were bothering me and I couldn't squeeze as hard as I wanted, I think. Also, my left elbow and shoulder started to hurt! WTF? :( So I didn't do much.

Yesterday I picked them up again... same results. I need another couple of days off. I'm gonna start doing sledge rotations, I've been told it keeps the elbow healthy? And also the extensors of course.

My thumbs have been sore for over a week now. I think it's because I'm going to the gym and lifting some weights... it hurts when I try to pinch something wide, or when I do the extensors. Damned thumbs!

Felt like crap again. Judging by my own experience, it seems that I'm better off when I rest more. So maybe I'll have to train leaving TWO days off before each training, and not one. I wont touch anything sat/sun and if on monday I'm as strong as I was last monday, then I'm right and I must do that always.

Yesyerday I used the grippers a bit, TTK, wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, and for the first time ever I tried plate wrist curls. These are hard! I was able to do them right with a 10lb Bollinger plate. Then I grabbed a 6kg (13.26lb) Body Sculpture plate (a bit bigger in diameter too), and could do them with my right, but my left struggled after a few reps. My biggest plate @ home is a 20lb Bollinger which I don't see myself wristcurling really soon.

I decided I was too uncomfortable doing wrist curls and have now ordered a Pegasus.

I'd expect you to make excellent progress weight training full body twice a week. Guys doing more than that are either advanced (years of lifting), have very specific training goals, or just like going to the gym.

For general strength and appearance, 2x a week with the weights is plenty. If your recovery is limited due to a high volume of cardio and a caloric deficit, it's probably all you can progress on anyway.

Thanks for the input Scott. :)

Following a suggestion from a fellow gripster, I tried to see if I could at least do "baby reps" or very small reps where I barely let the gripper open, like 2mm sometimes, heh. I think for the first time ever I repped the #1 with my right hand... but it was a rep like that, very small, shouldn't even count. My left sucked yesterday and I could barely the the #1 below 1cm I think. I tried the micro-reps with the T on my right and got 50. Way less with my left, but right now I'm happy to make 10 reps with a wider range (1" or a bit more), which I can barely do.

I taped one handle on my T, #1 and #2. I don't know why I did it on the #2, that thing is a beast for me. I think I can get it below 1 inch though. It's incredibly hard for me to set, even. The electric tape helped and it felt quite nicer to squeeze the grippers that way.

I did some sledge rotations, grabbing it really close to the weight. Was gonna try levering a little bit but had to go play tennis.

I did reverse wrist curls, AND, I did plate curls instead fo wrist curls, heh. Like last time, I used first a 10lb Bollinger plate, then I used a 6kg (13.26lb) Body Sculpture plate, which is harder, but I did manage 10 reps for 2 sets on both hands (last time I couldn't do it with my left).

I kinda like plate wrist curls, BUT, the jumps in the playes seem big. My next bigger plate is a 20lb'er, Bollinger. It's way heavier and obviously bigger than the 6kg I'm using now. I'll continue using the 6kg for now and when I can dominate it some more, I'll take a shot at the 20lber. I did the green bands too

For some reason, my bottom two fingers on my left hurt today, damn. :( BTW, from a VERY close set, I could close the T with 2 fingers! :P (top two of course!)

I'm not pinching till my chalk arrives... ordered some stuff from PDA.... a Pegasus, and a choker.

Edited by lifesnotfair

Updating: I got my ISG tuesday afternoon and couldn't resist playing with it. I think my best close was possitions 9-3 or 10-3 or 9-4 or something.

Yesterday was a holiday in my country, so no work. In the morning I toyed with the ISG again, hehe. EVen did a couple of attempts on the #1. Then went to the beach.... then back at home, my wrists were hurting, so I decided to do some sledge rotations which seem to take away my wrist pain (like tendonitis pain). After doing the first set of rotations, I decided to try levering the thing (8lb sledge), and to my surprise, I've progressed quite a bit! I grabbed it leaving the space of 1 fist to the bottom (like 3.5 inches maybe, not sure), and I could lever it to my forehead... with both hands!!! Wow. When I bought it (I think less than a month ago) I could hardly do it from the half of it (36" long I think?). So I'm pretty sure next week I could be truly levering this 8lb baby. I'm not sure if I'm doing this rigth as noone taught me, but I just extend my arm in front of me and do it... I'm not sure, but maybe my elbow bends a little bit ... probably that is cheating a bit.

On another news: since it was a holiday, the gym I go to was closed, so I went to another one (the same one, but at another place, so I'm also a member) and to my surprise, it has PINCHABLE plates!! ... As I've mentioned before, I've stopped training on the pinch block/hub because chalk hasn't arrived yet (should be here maybe next week), but I couldn't resist trying... I grabbed 2 25's and started drying my hand with my towel... to my surprise, I was able to pinch the 2 25's with both hands, even holding it at least 2-3 seconds off the floor with my left hand, and I did this while seating on a chair (no chalk obviously). It inspired me to pinch 2 25's on my first try ever, once I get my chalk I'll train with the pinch block again to see if in a couple of months I could maybe go back to that gym and have a go at 2 35's.

I did contrast baths last night as my bottom two fingers on my left hand feel a bit stiff. I'll take today off and will try to do something tomorrow, to recover a bit more.

Started with some reps on the T to warm me up. I think I managed 10 with the left hand, although maybe I wasn't closing it on the last ones. (I'll talk about this soon). Then I went and did singles with the #1. I _think_ I'm closing it with my right, but since I taped the finger handle it doesn't make the "click" sound when it touches, nor I feel that it touches. But I guess it's touching. Next time I tape a gripper I'll leave at least 2-3 mm at the buttom untaped. Noone warned me about this! :P

I got the #1 with my left to about 5-6mm which is my best, then forced in and held at maybe less than that. I decided my last part with my left hand sucked, so I picked up IM's strap (the thinner of the two, it's like 5mm? dunno) and passed it through the hole of a 10lb plate. I could not lift it with the T on my left. It was a joke on the right, so I tried RH, but couldn't lift it.

It seems I can lift 5lbs max with the T on the left, and the #1 on my right. I got 7.5lbs off the ground with the same two setups, but briefly... no wonder I'm not getting really close on the #1 with my left, it's very weak on that last bit of the close. So I decided to not even TOUCH the #1 with my left, until I can straphold maybe 12.5lbs or 15 with the T. I will continue doing strapholds with the #1 on my right, next time trying to get those 7.5 off the ground for more seconds.

You people always talk about using a metal ruler, which should be way thinner than IM's strap... but since I have these, I'll continue using them. I just hope working with a strap that, maybe compressed is 3-4mm, doesn't screw up my last 1-2mm.

I did so many strapholds attempts that I didn't touch the ISG really.

Plate curls with 10lbs and then 6kg plate. I need to find a way to add some weight to one of these plates, because my next plate is a 20lb that I find very out of reach right now.

TTK sucked today. Green bands for extensors. Reverse wrist curls and some sledge rotations. Contrast baths at the end. It was a long workout.

3 days off the grippers! First time I manage to do that since I bought them.

Started with some sledge rotations, I like them because they make the gripper feel like a toy.

Trainer x 10 LH, x 20 RH.

#1 x 3 RH - PR !!! ...

#1 x 3 RH - again PR!! First time I ever rep it.

#1 x 0 LH - 5mm or so.

I proceeded to strapholds. I lifted 5lbs with the T on my LH and #1 on my RH. Then added 2.5lbs and managed to repeat the feats, not for too long though. When I breathe I kinda lose strength and it falls. I only held it for about 3 secs, then spent the rest of the workout trying to lift those 7.5lbs again, no luck. My hands get tired quickly. I'll continue doing this because it's obvious why I can't close the #1 with my LH, if I'm having a hard time strapholding 7.5lbs.

TTK w/both hands.

3 x 10 - 15, 18 and 20lbs.

Plate curls

1x10 - 10lbs

2x10 - 13.26lbs (6kg) - I don't know how I'll improve from here, the 20lb plate I have is far from me right now. I guess I'll just continue to master the 6kg, even though I can do 10 reps, I really struggle with them.

Reverse wrist curls on a 10lb straight bar. (thumbless of course).

3x10 - 10lbs, 15lbs, 17lbs. (not counting the bar). I see some improvement here.

Levering w/8lb sledge.

Felt hard, it hurt in between my index and thumb when I tried levers to forehead. I think it's better for me when my hands are sweaty so it slips a bit. If they are dry and they get a good grip on the sledge, it hurts! Damn. A couple of rear levers as well, grabbing it from about halfway. More rotations then.

IM's green bands. I should receive my Pegasus and some chalk this week, then I'll resume the pinch training.

What I've found helps to improve closing strength in the final part of the closes is after the workout do some grip training specifically with your ring and pinky fingers alone, maybe using those spring-clamp weight collars.

What I've found helps to improve closing strength in the final part of the closes is after the workout do some grip training specifically with your ring and pinky fingers alone, maybe using those spring-clamp weight collars.

My ring and pinky finger are very weak, yeah... but I have no gripper to train them, I can barely close the T with the upper 2 fingers, and from a very deep set.

I have no idea what a spring-clamp weight collar is, but I'll see if I find out soon enough.

Again 3 days off! Busy week, woah.

I did an attempt with my LH on my #1 this morning, and got it to about 4mm, PR.

Green bands x 20

T x 10 LH

T x 20 RH

Strapholds.

LH with T / RH with #1

5 lbs OK / 5 lbs OK

7.5 lbs OK / 7.5 lbs OK

7.5 lbs OK / 7.5 lbs miss

10 lbs OK / 7.5 lbs so-so

10 lbs OK / 7.5 lbs OK

I see some progress and it's no wonder I came closer than ever on the #1 with my LH this morning. I'm still guesstimating that when I can straphold 15lbs for 3+ secs on my LH with the T, I'll close the #1 with that hand. I haven't touched my #2 in a while, so I'll just keep trying to increase my holds with the #1 with the right hand, and when I can do about 15 lbs I'll give it another go.

I think I'm using very deep sets, so my sweep is gonna suck.

Also, today I overhead-levered my 8lb slegde with my RH, PR !!!!!!! And I did it with my left from about 1.5 inch away from the handle. I'll be doing it with both hands in about 2 workouts, I know it.

Green bands x 20

End, I had to go to the movies... damn, couldn't do the other stuff I wanted. But I see some progress, that's nice.

Warmup

Tx10 LH / Tx20 RH

#1 - 3 reps, opening about half an inch maybe, with RH only.

Strapholds, started with 7.5 and could do some holds of a few secs (3-4 maybe) with T on LH and #1 on RH. Felt stronger than 2 days ago. I then tried 8.5 pounds, but hands were more tired, and was a no-go. Maybe if I had tried at the beggining, who knows.

TTK - I suck with this.

Green bands. Sledge rotations. Customs has my chalk.... ;) Hope I get it this week.

Just picked my #1 and squeezed it, got 3 reps on RH, and don't know what gap with LH, wasn't even looking.

Again it wasn't a training session, but after lunch @ home, before coming to work again, I decided to squeeze 'em a bit.

T x 10 LH

T x 30 RH - PR ... although I don't really train to make very high reps, I guess it just gets easier with time. The poor T must be seasoning as it's the gripper I've closed the most.

#1 x 5 RH - PR .. felt nice. Was opening it to about 3/4" or so, don't know.

#1 x 0 LH - heh heh...

T x something LH.

T inverted, just closed and held a few secs with each hand. I have to use a deep set for these though.

IM Green bands, 2 x 20.

Was less than 10 mins I think, so it didn't even feel like a workout, I wanna work with the straps and stuff later today, or tomorrow maybe.

Tx15 RH

Tx12 LH

#1x5 RH - PR!

Tx7-8 LH

Strapholds, using T on my LH, and #1 on my RH, holding for about 3-4 secs. I don't count the loading pin's weight, which is probably 1lb or so.

W - LH/RH

5lbs - OK/OK

7.5 lbs - OK/OK

7.5 lbs - OK/OK

10 lbs - OK/1sec

10 lbs - no/no

7.5lbs - hands were tired, maybe 1 sec, don't remember.

This is where I stand with the strapholds: When I can hold 12.5-15 with my LH, I will start doing them with the #1 on that hand (even if I can't close it by then, I will be very close, as I'm about 4mm away when I feel strong). And on my RH, seems pointless to still be doing straps since I can rep the #1, so I'll just continue till I can lift also 12.5-15 or so, then I'll FINALLY introduce my #2 to the workout, but with the bigger straps (Ironmind's straps come in two, a thin one (the one I use), and a fatter one, which I've never used). Straps seem to be very helpful to me.

Sledge wrist rotations, grabbing it very close to the weight.

Reverse wrist curls..

Plate wrist curls, biggest plate was a 6kg.

TTK - I see no improvement here :(

IM Green bands.

It felt nice overall, my hands don't feel so tired right now actually, which is a good sign, I might work them out again on sunday, who knows.

Nice log man. Looks like you've got a nice variety of gripper and other prehap grip stuff going on. You'll get that #1 with your left hand soon. Then it will be a commonplace close for you. Then the #2 beckons you. :cool

Ever tried bending? It's addicting.

Heh, I've never tried to bend, but it looks expensive as you can't un-bend stuff! :P

But I don't think I'm strong enough to bend anything yet. Maybe in a near future, but not yet!

BTW, I've seen many videos of you bencrush, you can do great stuff! =)

Tx20 RH

Tx17 LH - PR!

#1x5 RH

Tx12 or so LH, forced to reach 15.

Strapholds, LH with T, RH with #1.

LH/RH

5lbs OK/OK 3-4 secs

8lbs OK/OK 3-4 secs

11lbs 1sec/OK

11lbs no/no

8lbs don't remember, was tired by now!

I broke some PR's on the wrist curls and reverse WC's!

WC with dumbells (not counting weight of pin).

26lbs 1x12

32lbs 1x12

38lbs 1x10

43lbs 1x8 - PR! all done with both hands.

Reverse wrist curls on a barbell (10lb bar, weight not included).

16lbs 1x10

16lbs 1x10

20lbs 1x10 - PR! Maybe form wasn't the prettiest, but felt good.

Was too tired to keep going. Did some sledge rotations and IM green bands.

Comments: I'm not planning on going high reps, so I'm keeping it at 20. Good to see that my LH is getting close to that on the T. For the RH closing the T is warmup, but for the LH is like starting directly with the workout, hehe... but this will not be a problem soon, I reckon. I will begin with 8lbs strapholds next time, 5lbs felt too easy.

I wonder if I'm getting stronger or my #1 is getting seasoned. I should buy another #1... should I file the new one or the old one? ..

A lot has been going on lately.

On Sept. 7th my wife threw me some kind of surprise party :) It owned.

I brought out the grippers for all my friends to try. Funnily enough, the one friend of mine who once closed the #1 when it was almost new, could not close it this night. So it probably hasn't been very seasoned (no wonder, since my rep record is 5 on that gripper). He has big hands, over 8" at least... Anyways, the skinniest of my friends (140lbs) closed the Trainer. Other 3-4 people couldn't close the trainer but some got close. However, they had no setting technique, so I suspect some of them could close the T with some proper setting to parallel). I was closing them myself too so the day after, my hands were tired and I didn't train.

Then things started happening and I never found time to train.

Anyways, I got my Pegasus and choker collar, and CHALK, finally! I'll see what I can do with these new toys. Last night I felt very tired so I didn't train (slept very little from sunday to monday). However, I decided to give the #1 a shot lefthanded, and got closer than ever, maybe 3mm. I have to admit I do use deep sets, specially left handed (my left middle finger has some kind of problem, it "cracks" everytime I close it to form a fist, and I don't mean while holding a gripper, I mean every single time, I can do it a thousand times in row)... and it hurts when it cracks like that closing a gripper from wide open, so it's kind of a must for me to deep set it left handed.

Anyways, just posting in case anyone checks this out and thinks I've quit or something. I probably wont workout today either, as now it's my wife's birthday! :) .. I'll do it tomorrow though.

On a last note: I've changed my other workout routines (not grip).. gonna lift weights mon/wed/fri, and gonna do cardio tue/thur/sat ... as opossed to doing them both 6 days a week as I had been doing the past 6 weeks. I hope I don't feel tired all the time anymore, with this change.

Tx20 RH

Tx17 LH - PR!

#1x5 RH

Tx12 or so LH, forced to reach 15.

Strapholds, LH with T, RH with #1.

LH/RH

5lbs OK/OK 3-4 secs

8lbs OK/OK 3-4 secs

11lbs 1sec/OK

11lbs no/no

8lbs don't remember, was tired by now!

I broke some PR's on the wrist curls and reverse WC's!

WC with dumbells (not counting weight of pin).

26lbs 1x12

32lbs 1x12

38lbs 1x10

43lbs 1x8 - PR! all done with both hands.

Reverse wrist curls on a barbell (10lb bar, weight not included).

16lbs 1x10

16lbs 1x10

20lbs 1x10 - PR! Maybe form wasn't the prettiest, but felt good.

Was too tired to keep going. Did some sledge rotations and IM green bands.

Comments: I'm not planning on going high reps, so I'm keeping it at 20. Good to see that my LH is getting close to that on the T. For the RH closing the T is warmup, but for the LH is like starting directly with the workout, hehe... but this will not be a problem soon, I reckon. I will begin with 8lbs strapholds next time, 5lbs felt too easy.

I wonder if I'm getting stronger or my #1 is getting seasoned. I should buy another #1... should I file the new one or the old one? ..

Nice work on the strapholds. Congrats on the PR too! :cool