Brzenk Vs. Samuellson

Aftershock

http://teammaine.proboards107.com/index.cg...read=1150754623

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=rob+...p;search=Search

Looks like Rob is doing pretty good.. I don't know much bout armwrestling though, but i though selearis is also a pretty good puller.. ?

Edited by DuTCH

Nice videos in youtube. Bill Sinks beat him, but he is VERY well known and has been national champion I believe.

Selearis is great, my favorite up to 198.

Then afterwouds ask Brzenk to deadlift and bench 500-600lbs.

Yeah.....there are a lot I pullers I think that could complete that task. I like that fact teh armwrestling goes against the grain in what others determine as strong. I would rather have very strong and functional hands and arms then be able to push things hard.

But bench pressing has never really been something I liked or desired to be good at. So who am I to say.

I would absolutely love to see these matches between:

Voevoda (at his peak) vs Cleve Dean (at his peak)

Voevoda (at his peak) vs Richard Lupkas (at his peak)

I think they are one of the strongest armwrestlers ever, what do you think? Who do you think would win these matches?

Thanks Pablo

I think Vovoeda could still be at his peak, my understanding is he just decided to do bobsledding instead because their is more money in it?? I don't think he's that old??

I think Dean in his prime could beat anybody.

John Brzenk beat Cleve Dean in his prime. I mean, when was his prime? Brzenk beat Dean in the 1986 Over the Top thing for that truck (just like the movie).. Dean is about 50 years old now (maybe 53 or so? Not sure), but in 86 I'm sure he was still at his prime.

Anyways, Brzenk turned 42 recently, and is still the best at the moment. Oh, and btw, he weighted like 200 pounds when beating Dean, who was well over 400 ? I've read Dean had 11" thick wrists..... heh, that's something.

Oh, and to the poster who mentioned Lupkas... Brzenk also beat that guy, I think late 80's or early 90's, not even sure, I've seen pictures and it's AMAZING.. that Lupkas guy was a giant. And he was hairy too, which makes it even more intimidating =P

John Brzenk beat Cleve Dean in his prime. I mean, when was his prime? Brzenk beat Dean in the 1986 Over the Top thing for that truck (just like the movie).. Dean is about 50 years old now (maybe 53 or so? Not sure), but in 86 I'm sure he was still at his prime.

I'm not sure about John pulled Cleve 1986 in Vegas. I guess I heard something different, but I'm not 100%sure...

If JAD said, Cleve could beat anybody, then this doesn't mean that he did.

John btw. is very very strong now. I don't know if he was stronger before. He can beat anybody righty, but that doesn't mean, that it isn't possible that he loose a match.

Anyways, Brzenk turned 42 recently, and is still the best at the moment. Oh, and btw, he weighted like 200 pounds when beating Dean, who was well over 400 ? I've read Dean had 11" thick wrists..... heh, that's something.

Oh, and to the poster who mentioned Lupkas... Brzenk also beat that guy, I think late 80's or early 90's, not even sure, I've seen pictures and it's AMAZING.. that Lupkas guy was a giant. And he was hairy too, which makes it even more intimidating =P

No, Dean was not in his prime in '86. He came back in the early 90's, and dominated all the big pullers, Brzenk, Bagent, etc.

I know Brzenk beat Lupkas and Dean but he has a lot of technique and at his peak he sure was not strong as Voevoda, Lupkas and Dean at their peak. He is the best because he can beat stronger guys than him, but my question is who´s the strongest of all them.

My vote is for Lupkas in his forearms, arms strength and too Cleve Dean in hands strength, Brzenk once said about 10 years ago that if hand strength was all in armwrestling Cleve would still be undefeated.

unseenbeat: I think Bagent was unknown in early 90's. Actually I'm pretty sure about that. =)

But yeah, Cleve returned (I think 94?) and won the Yukon Yack or something like that. However, it wasn't like he didn't lose or anything, Brzenk would beat him from time to time too.

And yeah, I also recall Brzenk saying that "if hand strength was everything in armwrestling, Cleve Dean would still be undefeated"... heh, says a lot about Dean's handstrength. I've also heard RUMOURS (and just that) that Dean, who wasn't into grippers, was once given a #3 and slammed it shut. This is pretty unbelievable, but being Cleve Dean.... it would be easier to believe than if it was another man. I've read even Brzenk himself (who isn't into grippers also) was once given a #3 and could not close it. Got it fairly close though, like 1/4 or 1/8 can't remember. I just read this around forums and news, not sure how much of it is actually true.

Since your talking about handstrenght now, ive had the priviledge of training with Ralf Johansson (swe champ several times and placed top5 or so at worlds) he works as a smith and have pretty much never trained with grippers but last week he managed to get the set right and closed first my 3, then rb240(toughter than my 3) and then my RB300N aswell :)

unseenbeat: I think Bagent was unknown in early 90's. Actually I'm pretty sure about that. =)

But yeah, Cleve returned (I think 94?) and won the Yukon Yack or something like that. However, it wasn't like he didn't lose or anything, Brzenk would beat him from time to time too.

And yeah, I also recall Brzenk saying that "if hand strength was everything in armwrestling, Cleve Dean would still be undefeated"... heh, says a lot about Dean's handstrength. I've also heard RUMOURS (and just that) that Dean, who wasn't into grippers, was once given a #3 and slammed it shut. This is pretty unbelievable, but being Cleve Dean.... it would be easier to believe than if it was another man. I've read even Brzenk himself (who isn't into grippers also) was once given a #3 and could not close it. Got it fairly close though, like 1/4 or 1/8 can't remember. I just read this around forums and news, not sure how much of it is actually true.

Yea, I didn't mean Bagent I was thinking of another top puller from back then, I meant Gary Goodridge, who at the time was probably better than Brzenk. Nowadays he could probably still give Brzenk a run for his money, if not he could always beat his ass. :D

What I know about Cleve and grippers from talking directly to the witnesses that are both very credible:

Randy Strossen gave a #2 to Cleve and he mashed it so easy, Randy had no doubt, he also could close a #3. Then he gave him a #3 and Cleve failed.

(Years?) later, Chad Woodall (tootall from the board) was visiting his friend Cleve and gave him his #3 and he closed it. I also tried this #3 later when I visited Chad and trained with him and I have to say it's not an easy one, I guess it's a good average one.

Flo

unseenbeat: yeah, Goodridge later started fighting somewhere, right?

Florian: nice stories! I love to read stuff like that from credible people.

I got my #2 from ironmind yesterday, and it feels like squeezing a rock. =( ... I think I closed it with both hands, LOL... I have closed the #1 with my right, a couple of times... I guess I'll have to wait until I can dominate the #1 for many reps until I even touch that #2 again. What a difference.

unseenbeat: yeah, Goodridge later started fighting somewhere, right?

He does MMA now, considered to be one of the hardest punchers in MMA now. I believe he's gonna do some more armwrestling tourneys coming up.

I have known Cleve for about 15 years now. We have only pulled against each other at three different organized tournaments. The first in 1986. It was at an Over the Top qualifier event in Houston Texas. That was the first time I felt the awesome power of Cleve Dean. His hand to say the least felt very uncomfortable to me. We slipped grips on the first go, and after being put in the straps he beat me easily. Later that same year I got a chance to spend some time with Cleve in New York at a toy show that had to do with the dolls made of us for the movie Over The Top. During this time we spent a lot of time on the table and I soon realized what would work and what to avoid. I didn't pull Cleve for 10 years after my experience at the toy show, but I knew in my mind I would have a chance the next time we would meet. That next time would be in the finals of a Yukon Jack tournament in I believe 1994. My strategy was to grab him a little lower an the wrist and hope my hand strength was enough to turn him into a hook, forcing him to beat me inside with his Arm strength verses that incredible hand that he has. This worked, and I won that Tournament...Later that same year I pulled Cleve in a small tournament on the East Coast using the same strategy I beat him there also. They guy your thinking of, I think is Bobby Hopkins it was a Steve Simonds WPAA tournament with the two go system, there was no strap, and once the competitors slipped they were required to pull to the end in a hook. I also was at that same tournament. If I remember right, I think Cleve was fouled out for not staying in a hook and Bobby did win that tournament.

This is directly off of the Armwrestling.com Ask John Brzenk section. According to this they never pulled for the truck in Vegas, only at a qualifer in Houston, and Dean won. I don't think Dean was in his prime in 94. I don't know how old the man is but my understanding is he won his first world title in 78 or 79. I've heard he's had/has health problems which doesn't surprise me considering his size, so I doubt he was still in his prime 15 years later. At that size you can't expect him to have as long of a career as a guy like Brzenk or Fischer who are just ripped and in there 40s. I think John is the greatest armwrestler of all time: for what he has accomplished, his ability to beat men who outweigh him by hundreds of pounds, and the way he conducts himself on the table. That said, I think Cleve, in his prime, is the most dominant aw of all time. As others have mentioned, nobody is undefeated in AW and if they are it's because they haven't pulled anybody worth a darn, so when I say I think Cleve is the most dominant I'm not saying he was never beaten in his prime.

Edited by jad

Thanks for this good post, JAD!

So they did pull in 86! But not for the truck. Well, Brzenk turned 42 just days ago (I believe), so when he pulled Dean he was either 21 or 22.. probably not his prime either, if you ask me. But hey, I'm just a newbie, so it's not like I know anything, hehe. Looking at both Brzenk and Dean, I would also guess Dean had more raw power =P

I have tried hard to find pics of Cleve Dean, and have only found like 2-3 =( .. would love to see some pics of him in action. =)

Brzenk I think......

The strength required for there 2 respective sports makes it hard to decide.

But I am almost sure Brzenk would win, but if he couldn't and Voevoda came back to armwrestling I am sure he would make Magnus look like a girl.

Brzenk would toy with Samuellson armwrestling but Samuellson could just crush him with a stone. Both are the best in there respective sports. Hard to compare

I don't think so. When my 80kg friend gave Mags an AW - using two hands. My friend couldn't move his arm, no matter how hard he tried! :ohmy

I don't think John would stand much of a chance.....

JOHN WOULD DESTROY MAG AT ARMWRESTLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PERIOD. JOHN HAS TO HAVE NATIONAL CHAMPS PULL ON HIS ARM WITH TWO HAND JUST TO TRAIN!!!

As it's been said about a million times. It's not that one person breaks the other person's arm. Is that the other person gets into a BAD POSSITION... if the referee would have been a real one (or at least a good one), he could stop the match and call a foul on the person who got himself in the arm-breaking possition. He was on a bad possition, it's not that "Magnus was so strong that he broke the other dude's arm!" ..

Thats true. However, I put that clip up there to show that Magnus isn't just a strong man, but also a skilled armwrestler.

Thats true. However, I put that clip up there to show that Magnus isn't just a strong man, but also a skilled armwrestler.

A real skilled armwrestler wouldn't be proud of this bad disaster happened to - I think - Nathan Jones. When I found out, that Magnus S. has put this clip on his website and his DVD (world strongest arms) I totally lost my respect for Magnus S. This bad injury has nothing to do with the strength of Magnus nor with his armwrestling abilities. It's just that Nathan Jones didn't know the correct aw-technique - not his fault if nobody teached him. JMO

Flo

Edited by Florian Kellersmann