Brzenk Vs. Samuellson

Aftershock

People think magnus will win because he is big and can lift a lot of weight in various lifts. They forget that John Brzenk has been the best in the world for years for a reason. Because if it was simply being big and moving lots of weight then there would be many people beating him, but they aren't.

Magnus is by far a better Strongman and I think he would beat Cyplenkov at armwrestling.
:help

Will someone please do the honors and close this thread?:cry

Maybe maybe not...Im a big fan of John Brzenk my self, but I think he will get some big problems with Samuelsson... don't forget that samuelsson do know abit about armwrestling and he do more than just ordinary strongman training (alot of forearm training). Maybe brzenk would win, and I honestly would love to see that, but Im not sure if thats what would happen.

Once again, lets not forget what was already stated on this board, by no other than former World Champion Bob Brown, who happens to know John Brzenk very well...

In 1996 or so, when Magnus was actually actively armwrestling, he (Magnus) was BEAT by.... Bill Brzenk. That is John Brzenk's brother, who was also an awesome puller, but from what I've seen on videos, always lost to John when they faced in tournaments. (not sure about the exact record, but I've only seen him losing against his older bro, seriously). And Bill was not a heavyweight, his built looked like John's if not smaller from what I've seen in pics/videos. So he was giving up a LOT of weight to Magnus, and I'm willing to bet he wasn't half a strong as Magnus in all powerlifts or Strongman events. Yet he beat him, and according to Bob, he beat him "easily". This said, I have no idea how this debate still keeps going on! :D

I concur, and I wish people would just shut up about it period. There should be no question about John B can beat Magnus S. And there should be no debate this much. This is AW area and they talk as if it's strongmen area. Come on guys! I am Magnus's fan too, but stop kissing Magnus a$$ just because you so ennamoured about his strongman accomplishment. Wake up! There is a guy in Russia who can beat Magnus and he weighs only 165 or so. His name is H. Zoloev .................................................Wake up!

You know Cyplenkov is a strongman with not that great technique in armwrestling and he run over pushkar and semerenko. Magnus is by far a better Strongman and I think he would beat Cyplenkov at armwrestling. If Cyplenkov can beat pushkar and Semerenko that easy then he would beat mr brzenk also, so would magnus...

Well Cyplenkov beat Pushkar so easily right handed, and he has an armwrestling coach, and on one site it said that this coach first saw Cyplenkov at a tournament in 2005 so Cyplenkov has been armwrestling for at least a few years. To me, it seems amazing that Brzenk could beat Magnus easily, but if Bill beat Magnus easily, then John would have no problems. I wonder, though, did Bill just get a fast hit on Samuelsson? I would be interested in hearing more details about their match.

You know Cyplenkov is a strongman with not that great technique in armwrestling and he run over pushkar and semerenko. Magnus is by far a better Strongman and I think he would beat Cyplenkov at armwrestling. If Cyplenkov can beat pushkar and Semerenko that easy then he would beat mr brzenk also, so would magnus...

Well Cyplenkov beat Pushkar so easily right handed, and he has an armwrestling coach, and on one site it said that this coach first saw Cyplenkov at a tournament in 2005 so Cyplenkov has been armwrestling for at least a few years. To me, it seems amazing that Brzenk could beat Magnus easily, but if Bill beat Magnus easily, then John would have no problems. I wonder, though, did Bill just get a fast hit on Samuelsson? I would be interested in hearing more details about their match.

Cyplenkov beat Pushka left hand, not right hand! Just like Magnus, Cylpenkov was an arm wrestler before he became a strongman. NOTHING!!! amazing about John B. beats Magnus in AW, period. John B. beat Richard Lupkes in the past. That was and still is amazing. Even though RL beat JB at Arnold class this year. In AW JB was 20 times world champs or so. How many in ESPN strongman contest was MS a champ? In this AW forum if you don't get the history down correctly then why debate? JB should get lendary God-like status here in this forum of AW, bar none. NOBODY else. It's been said he is Michael Jordan 6 times over in AW. If you don't respect that because you're so ignorance about the history of AW , then i have no Prob. you go back to strongman forum. I mean i like Magnus S. a lot and idolzed him in strongmen dept. I've watched and respect Magnus S. video and like his personality a lot. But to be here and keep disrespecting JB by compare him to someone who is not in elite status in AW presently. For me this is like compare Michael Jordan with a first round over all NBA draft pick. Potential is there but no accomplishment yet!

Arsen Liliev!! my Gosh! There is a pro Awer in Texas name Lindley Keating who is 15 times super heavy weight TX champ. LIndley can beat Magnus S. no prob. But I am not sure even Lindley can handle A. Liliev. And JB is beyond AL level. Are we clear about it yet gentlemen? or do you still fail to understand and realize how many level of power are there in AW?

My typo: "JB should get lendary God-like status here in this forum of AW"

I meant: "JB should get legendary God-like status here in this forum of AW"

My typo: "JB should get lendary God-like status here in this forum of AW"

I meant: "JB should get legendary God-like status here in this forum of AW"

Ok, I have to say something since I was in this thread way back.

The "Levels" are something people don't understand until they train and compete in organized tournaments (I know I didn't). Here's my idea of the levels (by the way, if all you've ever done is pull across the lunch room table you don't make the chart):

1) Good local amateur competitor

2) Win local amateur contest

3) Good local pro competitor

4) Win local pro contest

5) Good regional level pro competitor

6) Win regional pro contest

7) Good national championship competitor

8) Win national championship

9) Win the world championship

10) Elite Level - compete only at Pro events - winning nationals or worlds is "automatic" unless another Elite shows up

The jumps between levels are big and if you go against someone 2 levels above - forget it. If you compare this to grippers (since this is the gripboard and I think there is a good comparison between jumps) you get:

G = 1

S = 2

T = 3

#1 = 4

#1.5 = 5

#2 = 6

#2.5 = 7

#3 = 8

#3.5 = 9

#4 = 10

Just like grippers only a handful of guys have closed the #4 only a handful of guys are in this Elite class. Breznk is one of them. Samuelson is probably down around #7. I was stupid enough to chime in on this thread 2 years ago. I was wrong in thinking Magnus would be in the match with John - he wouldn't. In armwrestling you are only as strong as your weakest link and there are a lot of links - hand, bicep, tricep, brachialis, brachioradialis, wrist pronator, wrist supinator, wrist flexor, wrist abductor, wrist adductor, pec, lat, deltoids, rotator cuff, abdominals, and more. Doesn't matter how strong your bicep or hand is if your elbow is not prepared to pull at the top level, or your wrist abductor is not strong, etc. As for Cyplenkov - the guy was/is basically an unknown in the strongman world. I've never seen his name in any large meets. I'm guessing he was a pretty decent armwrestler before trying his hand at strongman, and now is going back to armwrestling. In other words don't think because he was/is a strongman you can make the same statements about Magnus who is 100x the strongman Cyplenkov is/was. I have great respect for Magnus - I know him and have competed against him. He is tremendously strong in the upper body and one of the best strongman ever in the sport (look at his record) but his sport is strongman not armwrestling.

Cyplenkov beat Pushka left hand, not right hand! Just like Magnus, Cylpenkov was an arm wrestler before he became a strongman.

Shit that's what I meant to say, my bad. And, Cyplenkov did AW before strongman? I did not know that. How good was he at AW and how long ago was that, do you know?

Wade, thank you for those levels! Although you do have to take weight into account... do you think Magnus is even a #7 today or is that for in his AW prime? I have a long ways to go, I am not even a #1! Will you be competing at Riverboat Days on August 16th?

Very well put Wade! Thanks

Cyplenkov beat Pushka left hand, not right hand! Just like Magnus, Cylpenkov was an arm wrestler before he became a strongman.

Shit that's what I meant to say, my bad. And, Cyplenkov did AW before strongman? I did not know that. How good was he at AW and how long ago was that, do you know?

Wade, thank you for those levels! Although you do have to take weight into account... do you think Magnus is even a #7 today or is that for in his AW prime? I have a long ways to go, I am not even a #1! Will you be competing at Riverboat Days on August 16th?

I meant today's strength. He's probably a stronger armwrestler today than he was at 265 pounds 10-15 years ago. I don't think I am going to make the Riverboat Days. I will be coming back from vacation that day unless I can convince the family to leave a day early.

Wade

Just like grippers only a handful of guys have closed the #4 only a handful of guys are in this Elite class. Breznk is one of them. Samuelson is probably down around #7. I was stupid enough to chime in on this thread 2 years ago. I was wrong in thinking Magnus would be in the match with John - he wouldn't. In armwrestling you are only as strong as your weakest link and there are a lot of links - hand, bicep, tricep, brachialis, brachioradialis, wrist pronator, wrist supinator, wrist flexor, wrist abductor, wrist adductor, pec, lat, deltoids, rotator cuff, abdominals, and more. Doesn't matter how strong your bicep or hand is if your elbow is not prepared to pull at the top level, or your wrist abductor is not strong, etc. As for Cyplenkov - the guy was/is basically an unknown in the strongman world. I've never seen his name in any large meets. I'm guessing he was a pretty decent armwrestler before trying his hand at strongman, and now is going back to armwrestling. In other words don't think because he was/is a strongman you can make the same statements about Magnus who is 100x the strongman Cyplenkov is/was. I have great respect for Magnus - I know him and have competed against him. He is tremendously strong in the upper body and one of the best strongman ever in the sport (look at his record) but his sport is strongman not armwrestling.

I think you put it the best of anything in here, Wade :rock

Edited by Magnus

Great post Wade; I especially liked how you broke down the levels. Most of the tournaments I've been in have L3-8 represented so depending on who you draw...good luck.

Very good post Wade. Hope, many will read what you said and will understand.