Ape´s Grip Strength

gripuru

I have studied for some years by my own ape´s strength and i think is a great world for the one´s that love strength. For starting the topic i would like you to see this photo if you want, is about John Wood testing his crushing strength compared to the one adults primates have.

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album02/abj?full=1

If you have any question just ask

Thanks and best wishes

Pablo

...by my own ape´s strength...

I'm intrigued. :)

I have studied for some years by my own ape´s strength and i think is a great world for the one´s that love strength. For starting the topic i would like you to see this photo if you want, is about John Wood testing his crushing strength compared to the one adults primates have.

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album02/abj?full=1

If you have any question just ask

Thanks and best wishes

Pablo

He has the strength of a Gibbon, with one hand... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...park_berlin.jpg

That grip thing is embarrassing! :cry

its a good thing that were relatively smart, becuase if we weren't, well...mother nature owns us in every physical aspect...

I have to say that i think john woods or any human that strong in terms of grip would be stronger than the average chimp. I think the setup overexaggerates the values. I also don't see how exactly they'd get a chimp to do a 1rm on a grip dynometer.

When i first started to read about ape´s strength i thought that they having more strength that a strong human was just ridiculous, but then i found out that their ligaments, tendons, bones were much stronger.

The hand of the average chimp is much bigger than the hand of the average human.

Their muscles per square inch are much stronger too. (In hands and arms)

On the other hand if we take Mike "mule" Miller and an average chimp and compare their leg strength, Mike would made the chimp look like a clown.

I remember I read that a chimp has the strength to lift 2000 lbs. I searched for it but didn't found anything, but I found that a chimp's strength equals the strength of 3 athelitic humans.

i've heard these claims aswell. For instance, an 14 year old child chimp is 8 times stronger than an 'athletic male'

I'm not sure about this. A silverback gorilla however... well now thats another story, 28 stone beasts of muscle can believably be many times stronger than humans.

I assumed that our muscle were similar to apes and our joint configuration was relatively similar also.

I wouldn't say it was wrong as i am no authority on this subject whatsoever but i don't believe these statistics aren't exaggerated.

Careful with this one. We had a similar thread closed a while ago because of incompatable opinions. I am skeptical of some of the claims about primate strength. Please supply any references you might have regarding primate strength and particularly how it was measured. I also tried to contact people at the Goodall Institute with some of these questions and they blew me off. I've also tried literature searches without luck. I believe they are strong, just not as strong as claimed.

Careful with this one. We had a similar thread closed a while ago because of incompatable opinions.

ok.... i think that's taking things a little to seriously :whacked . People are just discussing ape strength here

Bunch,

I agree, it was taken way too far and I was on the receiving end of insults because I asked for better proof than "they are strong because everyone says they are strong". I have no doubt that primates are strong but I doubt they are 5X stronger than we are. If they are, cool! But please show me how you measured their strength. I can think of a couple good ways to go about measuring ape strength but I really want to see what exactly forms the foundation of all these claims about how strong apes are. Show me the research!

i also doubt some of these claims due to the fact that to get an ape to exert itself for a one rep max, you'd have to piss i off a whole lot or train it with incentives for quite a while.

firstly, chimps are 7 x stronger for the same weight, not 5 x stronger, thats silverbacks (carry much more fat) - if you want actual studies an such, just type what you want to find out in google an take it from there, they are not too difficult to find

monkeys are extremely strong because they are basically consistently on roids to the extent of a human being with a good amount of natural test going on a high dosage stack - why they also go mental half the time etc

also, they exercise there whole life, where as the average human does next to nothing..also they are not as tall as us / have more size for the weight

you also have to realise that this is to the average person, not us lot

Also, what type of strength are we talking here? maybe a chimp could do a pullup with an extra 100kgs but dya think it could overhead push press much weight? they work more of the pulling and grasping movements.

Of course they are strong, they walk on their hands all day..If any human did that, then they would just be as strong.

Here is an article which provides information on why there are signficant differences in ape and human hand structure, function, and thus strength:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

I'm not an animal physiologist, but the fact is these animals have different morphology than humans and thus can be a great deal stronger. Although there may or may not be differences in the proportion of muscle types and hormones each animal produces allowing for strength gains there is a huge structural difference with their body that can give them a mechanical advantage compared to a human being (length of limbs, bone shape, thickness of connective tissue, muscle density, where the muscles attaches, etc). These differences may not look like much on the surface, but it could translate into a tremendous difference in power.

Compare a mountain lion with that of a dog of similar size. The muscles in the mountain lion's hind legs do not have to be different or larger than that of the dog. But the mountain lion can leap 8 to 10 feet into the air and 15-20 feet forward with a running start. No dog of the same size even comes close. Why? Because of a structural difference. They have a slightly different shape. The muscles connect at different points. They have differnt tendon thickness, etc. Sort of like the same way a chimpanze has a different shape than you or I. So it is very plausible that an ape can be much stronger than a man even if it is smaller based on the mechanical advantage it gains from its structure.

I'm not saying a chimp is 10 times stronger than the average man because I have no data that supports that, but it is plausible.

I will dig my animal physiology texts out of the attic this weekend and see if they mention anything about strength differences.

Vlad

I’ll throw in more anecdotal, un-sited references.

Does any one remember the source of the individual who tried to see if a Gorilla could dead lift 500lbs on a standard bar? Of course the Gorilla never did it, but allegedly it got a bit annoyed and quickly jerked half the weight off the ground with a one handed front-lateral/shrug motion?

I have no doubt that some of these beasts could absolutely destroy even the strongest human in nearly any feat of strength.

And they’re vegetarians too…

No hard evidence, of course, but an interesting anecdote.