British Iron Grip 2007

mobsterone

I'll post the rules later. Arne STILL hasn't replied to my email re buying a V-bar and I couldn't find the measurements although it's about an inch. Pinch is adjustable width.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• Hubgeezer

• David Horne

It will depend on how many pay. Last year myself and my company in spite of good sponsorship by others ended up out of pocket. The venue alone cost more than we took. If, as I hope, we get someone where around 15 in total I'm thinking of charging £10-15.00. That should more than cover the cost of medals / prizes for class winners and may be enough for some t-shirts (ie: the higher amount). I'm also hoping to hold a BBQ and charge a small fee for watching which will include a drink and maybe a burger - it all depends.

Of course as someone who is new to competiting (as I once was) I wouldn't worry about prizes unless I was very sure of winning.

Of course as someone who is new to competiting (as I once was) I wouldn't worry about prizes unless I was very sure of winning.

I am worried about something that has nothing to do with winning. I checked David's website and looked at the rules, and son of a gun, all of your events are listed in there. After playing with the "coefficients" a little, and making the kilograms to pounds conversion, it all made sense. All except the table top wrist curl...

Steve, do you plan on doing 250 kilograms on the table top wrist curl??? Good Lordy, that's a lot of weight! Am I missing something there? The partial movement is not that hard? My brain farted and I didn't translate something properly? UK guys have genetically superior wrist strength?

The coefficient was .4 In order to get 100 (a very good mark), one would have to wrist curl 250k...that's 550 pounds!

Hubgeezer

Am I missing something there? The partial movement is not that hard? My brain farted and I didn't translate something properly? UK guys have genetically superior wrist strength?

Hubgeezer

I see on David's website that he holds the World Record in this event at 302.5K. My God...

Is the idea that you put the bar as far down towards the heel of your palm as you can while still hanging on to it? I'm guessing this is how such outrageous weights have been done. The rules just seem to say the knuckles and hands have to leave the table.

Anyone have any pictures of the table top wrist curl setup being done? I'm trying to get a better idea of the setup for it.

Thanks - sorry if it was linked before - I missed it. The boards used were what I was wondering about when I was trying to picture it in my mind. I was having trouble seeing how to get into position but the boards make it fairly simple it appears.

It's esssential to get the bar as far back in the palm as possible (long fingers and a short palm help!), but as Dave mentions above, you still need to be able to hold onto the bar with your finger tips. I had 240kg roll onto by wrists a couple of days before the 2002 comp - it hurts :(.

No problem Mob - and no matter how you do it - that looks like an awful lot of weight!

Nice pics! This looks like a real fun lift; i am going to try and set something up to practice it. I train on my own so it's going to be awkward. Can someone give me some sort of indication as to carryover from full ROM wrist curls to TTWC? For exmaple if you can wrist curl 140kg with full ROM what sort of numbers could you expect to hit?

Double. I was doing 70-kilos and managed a 140-kilo TTWC when I last tried it. But I'd like to see this full ROM on 140-kilos. Get busy with youtube.

I also train this lift solo using a bench and a power rack. I tilt the bench so as to get one end (under the bar) low and the rest higher. I grasp the bar and pull it until the hands are higher back on the bench and WC from that position. In the competition the weight can be lifted onto you by spotters.

The only way to train this lift heavy is to use spotters - three people are required - one at each end of the bar and one in front to remove the wooden blocks and ref the lift.

The purpose of the blocks is to raise the bar to a sufficient height above the table so that the competitor can comfortably position their hands underneath the bar. When the competitor is ready to attempt the lift, the spotters raise the bar enough so that the blocks can be removed. The spotters then help control the weight to the down position (knuckles on table). The competitor then attempts to raise the knuckles from the table (under their own steam). The blocks are replaced by the ref after the attempt.

Steve, no where did i state that i could do a 140kg wrist curl :( i was just using this as an example! When i can do it without my feet coming off the floor (this has been happening a lot recently with 120kg+) my name will be on the 300+ gripboard wrist curl lifts anyway! :cool

Thanks for the advice on training the lift Mob and JimWylie

Edited by CoC#3

Having now proved i can pull over 300lbs on Vbar and grip at the no.3 standard does this place me in the Open class for the competition?