British Iron Grip 2007

mobsterone

Steve, I (Paul Wood) would like to enter the novice class. I don't expect to win (unless I'm the only entrant :rolleyes ), but it would be an interesting experience and give me something to train towards. At the moment I can (just) shut the #2 with both hands and my best 2HP is 60kg, obviously I would hope to improve these by May.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• Hubgeezer

• David Horne

Paul that's great. Given the interest locally, via strongman and the board I'm sure we will have a good crowd (a few more than the 4 last year ha ha).

Open Class

S Gardener aka Mobsterone

Sam aka CoC 3

Andy Christie

Mike Corlett aka Hubgeezer

Novice Class

Pete 1006

Paul 'Noob Saibot' Wood

6 so far... any more?

There will be an additional 4 and 6 with a possibility of as many as 8 from our unit and the local gyms. I'm looking here for names from the board.

6 so far... any more?

I hope so.

By the way, my "I hope so" is meant to be a serious comment, not meant as a joke or sarcasm. Correct me if I am wrong, but this contest would be the longest running regular competition in the history of the sport in the world. That is quite a legacy, and it is something to be proud of. I would imagine that some of the regular events and contest rules started with this competition, and were emulated by others in Europe and later the US and other places. There SHOULD be a good turnout, as it deserves to have one.

Glad to hear there are locals entering, and not just gripboard members.

Hubgeezer

An adjustment to the contested lifts. The first three are as they should be - those agreed and debated so as to cause no argument:

1) Grippers - usual standardized rules and a test of crushing power

2) 2 hand pinch - usual standardized rules and a test of pinch grip

3) V-Bar - usual standardized rules

4) One hand lift

5) Table Top Wrist Curl

The deadlift hold is now a bonus event. As some of know we are heavily involved on strongman so we want them to come, watch and 'have a go'. Grip athletes can also do the 6th lift but no points will coulnt towards the main competition.

6) Deadlift hold using 'farmers bells'. A test of your grip endurance. Whichj is why it's last so as to not exhaust your power on the other events

An adjustment to the contested lifts.

4) One hand lift

Regular bar? Straddle? Special handle on top? Steve G custom-model-lift-o-magic? To the knees lockout?

And my Wrist Roller from FBBC just arrived on Wednesday... :(

One hand lift? interesting ;)

An adjustment to the contested lifts.

4) One hand lift

Regular bar? Straddle? Special handle on top? Steve G custom-model-lift-o-magic? To the knees lockout?

And my Wrist Roller from FBBC just arrived on Wednesday... :(

You'll still enjoy it.

Dutch etc: same as Euro one hand lift.

Ooh, so not the one hand lift like at the euro2006.. Crap, i keep mixing those up!

No that's one hand DEAD lift. This is the one with the 7 feet long two inch bar and ring. A chain is clipped to it and a handle attached at a height to suit you. Both ends come two inches of the floor.

Here's Dave doing about 280 kilos or so at the IG 2004:

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/gallery_1..._1083697367.jpg

And here's one of me with the handle and chain more visible:

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/gallery_2_10_1093005923.jpg

Edited by mobsterone

Open Class

Sam aka CoC 3

Andy Christie

Novice Class

Pete 1006

Paul 'Noob Saibot' Wood

Possible (from SDF board)

Ali (girl)

Tat 70 (guy)

Duncan 'dunkster' Williams (one of our guys)

Edited by mobsterone

Another day another name and now an additional class

Open Class

Sam aka CoC 3

Andy Christie

Novice Class - note some name may be subject to moving to open class.

Pete 1006

Paul 'Noob Saibot' Wood

Tat 70 (guy)

Duncan 'dunkster' Williams (one of our guys)

Women

Ali

Liz Horne (Dave's better half)

I don't think so but am awaiting a rules update from David Horne. That said I would not want to hook grip with one hand anything over 200-kilos. You'd need a hospital visit to so the lump of skin you'd tear off back on.

Edited by mobsterone

I don't think so but am awaiting a rules update from David Horne. That said I would not want to hook grip with one hand anything over 200-kilos. You'd need a hospital visit to so the lump of skin you'd tear off back on.

Thanks. One more question - is the handle revolving? Like the handles used for cable crossovers in the gym?

It's NON-revolving.

I suspect David will include it but it's worth mentioning that no taping of hands - unless injured - is allowed. So you may well be asked to show your hands to the ref/s. I have a picture of the handle we will be using as it was a prize in a Iron Grip competition a few years ago.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2039/oneh...fthandlekg4.jpg

How is the table top wrist curl judged, do you just have to raise the bar by a certain amount?

Also, is a standard Vbar 1"?

Also also, what is the width of the pinch set up to be used? sorry if these have been answered elsewhere, I couldn't find out from a quick search.