British Iron Grip 2007

mobsterone

Right ho lifting buddies you've got no excuses as we want your names down for next years competition early.

Now that we have our new unit full of gym equipment and tonnes of (due to arrive this very morning) supplements we're keen to put on the 2007 event. It is a proper little grip and strength haven and with that in mind and subject to comfirmation and debate here are the proposed events for 2007

1) Grippers - usual standardized rules and a test of crushing power

2) 2 hand pinch - usual standardized rules and a test of pinch grip

3) V-Bar - usual standardized rules

4) 3" thick FBBC Wrist roller - a serious test of grip and more so thumb power. Also a nice change from the RT thumbless or otherwise.

5) Deadlift hold using 'farmers bells'. A test of your grip endurance. Whichj is why it's last so as to not exhaust your power on the other events

As two of the events are non-standard I thought I'd post a little info.

Deadlift hold using 'farmers bells'

We have 4 identical 'farmers bells' weighing 70-kilos empty and want to have a head to head. This will be, depending on numbers, either an open class v novice or novice v novice and open v open. It keeps the event interesting and, with the right weights, short. Subject to confirmation we'd like 70-80 kilos as the weight for novices and 110-120 for the open. However, a quick test showed, for me at least, 70 to feel way too light and so we want everyone to be able to lift and then hold for 45-60 seconds at least the bells. I feel sure that, with training, all can lift and hold the bells and so it then becomes an issue of the right weight and timing.

For training purposes and with plenty of time I suggest two plate loaded dumbbells will suffice for getting better on this movement.

3" thick FBBC Wrist roller

With the wrist roller we'd like it to be, as per, a 4 attempts at a max weight with the weight lifted and lowered fully. We'll be using a power rack and the roller will be set at shoulder height. You can roll either towards or away but it must go up and down once for a full attempt. No letting the roller slide through the hands (not good for the skin either). Be warned this can tear small bits of skin of the side of the thumbs.

Either buy (or win like me) a 3" FBBC w/roller or use a decent bit of steel tube and some strong cord. I wanna see a bunch of 80kilo plus efforts and am sure that there will be some 100-kilo or more lifts done once you've trained it for a few months.

Edited by mobsterone

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• Hubgeezer

• David Horne

Hmmmmm... Sounds good!

Sounds good to me; What do you see as a novice? I've just done my 1st gripcontest in Munsterland.

Nice new events. Am I novice or start in the open class?

MB

Mobster,

can you post a pic of the farmer's bells so we can get an idea of what they are like?

I just looked and I haven't got any but will try and remember. They are 8-inch or so blocks with tubes sticking out each end for loading and then handles welded to the top. But as you are holding rather than carrying it isn't that much of an issue unlike some designs which suit different events.

Sounds good to me; What do you see as a novice? I've just done my 1st gripcontest in Munsterland.

Nice new events. Am I novice or start in the open class?

MB

Did you win? Or place in the top three? Can you shut a CoC 3? If not then probably a novice.

I live in California. My wife wants to go to England and the Isle of Man next year. Actually, she wants to go to Scotland and Ireland too, but I would prefer to break it into two trips over two years.

I am not joking here, but last week I said "the British Grip Championships are usually in May, and I would be interested in going if I could compete in them". She groaned and said okay. I then told her that I wanted to compete as a Manxman, as I am 3/8ths Manx. At that point I think she thought I was losing it.

She wants to go at the same time as the Chelsea Flower Show whenever that is.

If you will let foreigners compete, even Americans, I am interested.

Hubgeezer

Think you maybe in luck then Hubgeezer as I have just googled it and it seems the chelsea flower show is usually held around May.

Steve is the wrist roller supported by a bar or just done at arms length?

As per the post we will be using a power rack and so yes supported by a bar. See the image of Josh Bigger as an example.

I think we can follow the same pattern for lifters as is being used in the German and European events (this year). That is to say guest lifters will be allowed and can compete to win a trophy but CANNOT qualify to represent the UK / Britain in international competitions using this competition as a qualifier. So someone from the US could come, win the 1st place open but would still need to qualify if they then wanted to represent the USA for example. The issue of dual nationality... may need to be discussed. Nick McKinless has competed both here and in Australia and has dual nationality I presume (he was born a few miles from where I am now). I personally would be more than happy to have someone like Nick compete but would like them to state their intentions prior to competing. So if Nick said he wanted to compete in the British as a guest but will qualify for an international event by competing and placing in the top 3 in Auz that would be the way to go. I'm using Nick as an example.

It has been stated elsewhere (WHSA) that we do not have enough events and so allowing guest lifters does seem the way forward. A trophy is only that and so I have changed my view on guests winning and not being presented with a prize. Also I would allow records set to be added to the competition records list but not national or international lists. So, again with Nick as an example, if he broke the V-bar record at our event it would be a British Iron Grip record but, depending on what he had stated prior, may not be a British record.

I suspect no one would agree to 3/8ths ha ha :kiss

Personally I'm more keen on getting as many lifters and supporters to come as possible and will worry about the semantics less than before. No one will be 100% happy no matter what is decided so screw that - chalk up and let's get it on.

Edited by mobsterone

As per a PM the question has been raised re having a leverage or wrist event. Either in lieu of the wrist roller (more for thumb as I said) or as well as so as to cover the idea of grip strength being from elbow to fingertip.

I'd like to get all the events, formulas and coefficients sorted out as far ahead of time as possible so as to allow the maximum time for people to train and condition themselves.

We know we have the venue and we know we can sort out with no problems whatsoever the equipment. If we can, as best if possible, get everyone agreed then we can focus on our lifting and doing our best on the day.

Mike and I want a big crowd of unruly grip fans enjoying a hell of a day out with a US style BBQ outside, with lifting taking palce in a well equipped grip and strength gym with no problems for the owners of the venue (cos it us). Half the floor is covered in 17mm thick rubber matting. We've got loads of grip equipment, there's two boxes of chalk - we wanna get it on!!

If we need to hammer out any small detials lets do it this week so we can look forward to a great competition.

Nah - tis not me nor Mike but yet another Goateed up strongman (tis da fashion don't ya know). :cool

Nah - tis not me nor Mike but yet another Goateed up strongman (tis da fashion don't ya know). :cool

Thought it was Mike. All look the same, these bl**dy stronmen... :rolleyes

Going back to the farmers bells, are the weights you were quoting each, or for the pair. Reason I ask is if the open class is going to be 110-120 per hand I will have to go back to novice as I can't deadlift 220-240kgs!!! Hey, I'm only ickle. :(

Going back to the farmers bells, are the weights you were quoting each, or for the pair. Reason I ask is if the open class is going to be 110-120 per hand I will have to go back to novice as I can't deadlift 220-240kgs!!! Hey, I'm only ickle. :(

1. Remember, a deadlift is being grabbed close to your ankles. On a farmer's bell, it is just below the knees. It is not as drastic as you may be thinking.

2. On a date in May...this year it was Saturday, May 20. Next year, if it were Saturday, May 19 (my birthday), or Saturday, May 26, I would probably go, as the Chelea Flower/Garden/Whatever Show is between those dates. Not that it makes any difference to the Organizers...

Hbgzr

Flowers Or Grip Comp,, Flowers or Grip comp.

Mrs Hubgeezer "Were going the flower show and thats the end of it!"

"No Grip Comp, no Great Britain"

M A Hubgeezer

"No Britain, No Marriage"

Mrs. M A Hubgeezer

My life on display on the Internet...

Hbgzr

Two points - from the floor you could probably out deadlift me and secondly I know for a fact you have the equipment and with ten months to train for it...

Two points - from the floor you could probably out deadlift me and secondly I know for a fact you have the equipment and with ten months to train for it...

Out-deadlift you from the floor? Hmmm, not sure about that - my best ever, before my accident was 160kg, and 150 for a double. Only just getting back to that now, three and a half years later.

Still, as Hubgeezer pointed out, the height of the handles makes it a partial movement, so I'll have to get into the gym and experiment. How high are the handles on your farmers? Knee height?

Just below. We also have wooden blocks which we are considering using s we want it to be an endurance event not a deadlift per se event.

Novice class? I'm from Belgium, sounds like the perfect moment for my first meet? ;)

Couple of thoughts...

First one - we are seeing decent weights used in v-bar, r/thunder and one hand deadlifts - all exceeding the suggested weights for the farmers so... I easily pulled, without a warmup, the empty 70-kilo bells and carried them to another part of the unit. So pulling and standing with them a few inches is nothing by comparison. You can practise this lift by using plate loaded dumbbells lifted from a bench or, if you have farmers handles, by lifting them from wooden blocks. Those that we have make the lift, at best, about 8-inches of lift and then it's all hold.

Secondly - novice winners have, in the past, been told by David Horne that they ought to lift in the open only once they win the novice. I'd like that old rule to be reserected.

Novice class? I'm from Belgium, sounds like the perfect moment for my first meet? ;)

Not if those numbers in your sig line is anything to go by.

Lol that sucks :(:D

What are powerlifting stats have to do with grip stats? I only train grip for 2 or 3 months now. Ok maybe i'm good at the farmer bells, but for exemple the wrist roller, grippers, .. are all kind of new to me.