What Do These Stand For? (tns, Ns, Ccs, Mms, Etc.)

Lacknotch

OK, some of them I can figure out...

CCS = Credit Card Set (CoC set)

MMS = Mash Monster Set

TNS = ?

NS = No set?

Any other thingies like this you can think of? Maybe something like this can go in the FAQ?

TNS = Table No Set

Call me dense, but what is Table No Set vs. No Set ?

Oh, and thanks for the reply. :)

You use your hand to place the gripper but not to aid in closing it-no set

Pick the gripper up off a flat surface w/ the hand your attempting with and close it, other hand never touches it. Total or table no set

Proly some disputes out there that using the other hand in any way is considered a set. who knows

TNS = Table No Set

Call me dense, but what is Table No Set vs. No Set ?

Oh, and thanks for the reply. :)

In a a no set you are allowed to "position" the gripper in the gripping hand then let go and close the gripper with the "gripper" hand.

In a TNS only one hand is used ....period.

Edited by pdoire
  • Like 1

Any other thingies like this you can think of? Maybe something like this can go in the FAQ?

I'm pretty new as well, and I'm kind of taking note of a lot of things I had to figure out myself that weren't in the current FAQ. That way, I can help expand it if I'm still around in a year or so. The FAQ is good as it is, and KTA helped with a lot of the terms regarding gripper technique.

Grip Companies

IM = Ironmind (produces "Captains of Crush" grippers and other grip tools.)

RB = Robert Baraban (produces his own line of grippers in Austria.)

APT = APT Pro Wrist Straps (sells Heavy grips and Ivanko Super Grippers.)

FHS = Functional Hand Strength

WW = Weight Lifters Warehouse (sells grip tools made by Warren Tetting.)

BB = Beef Builder (made by Warren Tetting.)

FBBC = Fat Bastard Barbell Co.

HG = Heavy Grips

PDA = Peidmont Design Associates (No longer produces grippers, still has other grip tools.)

Grippers

#G = Ironmind Guide (rated @ 60lbs.)

#S = Ironmind Sport (rated @ 80lbs.)

#T = Ironmind Trainer (rated @ 100lbs.)

#1 = Ironmind #1 (rated @ 140lbs. numbers 1-4 denotes strength level.)

#2 = Ironmind #2 (rated @ 195lbs.)

#3 = Ironmind #3 (rated @ 280lbs.)

#4 = Ironmind #4 (rated @ 365lbs.)

HG100 = Heavy Grips 100 (number denotes in/lbs measured at mid-handle)

HG150 = Heavy Grips 150

HG200 = Heavy Grips 200

HG250 = Heavy Grips 250

HG300 = Heavy Grips 300

HG400 = Heavy Grips 400 (limited edition, numbered of 400)

HG500 = Heavy Grips 500 (limited edition, numbered of 300)

BBB = Beef Builder Beginner

BBA = Beef Builder Advanced

BBSA = Beef Builder Super Advanced

BBM = Beef Builder Master

BBSM = Beef Builder Super Master

BBGM = Beef Builder Grand Master

BBE = Beef Builder Elite

BBSE = Beef Builder Super Elite

BBGE = Beef Builder Grand Elite

BBP = Beef Builder Pro

BBWC = Beef Builder World Class

BBG = Beef Builder Galaxy

MM1-5 = Mash Monster (1,2,3,4,5 denotes strength level. Grippers owned by Gripboard for forum certification program. Made by Warren Tetting)

MM1-5dud = Mash Monster replica (Same strength but can be purchased thru Warren Tetting)

GM1-3 = (1,2,3 denotes strength level. Grippers owned by Grippermania for forum certification program. Made by Warren Tetting)

GM4-5 = (4,5 denotes strength level. Grippers owned by Grippermania for certification program. Made by Robert Baraban)

RBWT = Robert Baraban Worlds Toughest gripper (limited edition numbered of 50. rated @ 720lbs.)

RB70-RB365 = Robert Baraban (number denotes strength level)

RB240-RB330N =Robert Baraban (same as above except "N" denotes a narrow handle spread.)

PDA243 = Peidmont Design Associates (number on each gripper denotes wire size)

PDA262 = Peidmont Design Associates

PDA280 = Peidmont Design Associates

PDA295 = Peidmont Design Associates

PDA280HD = Peidmont Design Associates (Heavy Duty 280 due to spring set lower)

ISG = Ivanko Super Gripper (strength denoted by spring setting. ex; 7,10 = one spring at seven and the other at ten.)

TSG = Torsion Spring Gripper (all of the above are this type of gripper except the ISG.)

Grip Tools

RT = Rolling Thunder (made by Ironmind for thick bar one-hand deadlifts.)

TTK = Titan Telegraph Key (made by Ironmind for dynamic pinch grip training.)

BBPB = Block Buster Pinch Block (made by Ironmind for static pinch grip training.)

PH = Pinch Hub (made by Ironmind for training to lift 45lb plate by hub.)

OLL = Outer Limit Loops (made by Ironmind for extensor training.)

IDB = Inch Dumbell (172 lb. dumbell made famous by Thomas Inch.)

MDB = Millenium Dumbell (228lb. dumbell same construction as the Inch dumbell.)

HDB = Holle it Up Dumbell (made by Ironmind for training to lift Inch Dumbell.)

GM = Grip Machine (plate loaded, guillotine style grip machine.)

TYW = Twist Yo Wrist (yo-yo shaped wrist roller made by Ironmind.)

WS = Weaver Stick

V-Bar = Vertical Bar

HH1 - Heavy Hammer I Leverage Bar

HH2 - Heavy Hammer II Levarage Bar

Training Terminology

LH = Left Hand

RH = Right Hand

BH = Both Hands

PR = Personal Record

PB = Personal Best

WU = Warmup

BTR = Beyond the Range (filing the inside handle(s) of gripper to close beyond the normal range of closing.)

GG = Goal Gripper (the current gripper you are trying to close)

CC = Choker Close (works the close portion by using a washer or hose clamp to narrow the spread to desired width.)

BC = Braced Close (one method is using free hand to push dogleg handle into palm to help finish the close.)

NC = Negative Crush (using a gripper one level above your goal gripper close gripper with 2 hands or other form of assistance then with only one hand "try" to close grippers as hard as you can for 5-7 seconds.)

SON = Smooth Out Negative (using gripper one level above your goal gripper close gripper with 2 hands or other form of assistance then with only one hand "smoothly" let gripper open in 2-3 seconds.)

SH = Strap Holds (close gripper onto one end of a "strap" or other thin material while a weight is attached to other end of strap.)

OC = Overcrush (using a gripper you can close try to "crush" gripper as hard as you possibly can for 4-7 seconds.)

IC = Inverted Close (gripper is placed upside down in hand and closed.)

NS = No Set (free hand can be used to position gripper in hand but cannot help with closing of gripper.)

TNS = Table No Set (gripper is picked up from table with one hand and closed. Free hand does not touch gripper at all.)

CCS = Credit Card Set (free hand can be used to position gripper in hand to a width no narrower than a credit card approx. 2". Ironmind's current standard for their certification program.)

PC = Plate Curl (bicep curl using a weight plate in a pinch grip.)

PWC = Plate Wrist Curl (wrist curl using a weight plate in a pinch grip.)

PP = Plate Pinch (lifting plate(s) in a pinch grip with thumb on one side and fingers on the opposite side.)

DL = Deadlift

FW = Farmers Walk

CRS = Cold Rolled Steel

HRS = Hot Rolled Steel

RND = Round Stock

SQR = Square Stock

DU = Double Underhand (style of bending steel with palms facing up.)

DO = Double Overhand (style of bending steel with palms facing down.)

Misc. Terminology

KTA = Kinney Training Adapted (successful gripper training e-book sold by Bill Piche, CEO of the Gripboard.)

SAG = Simplified Adjustable Gripper (make your current grippers harder by placing a hose clamp around the spring which prevents the "fanning" of the spring making the gripper harder to close.)

JAG = John's Adjustable Gripper

AW = Arm Wrestling

COC = Captains of Crush (list of certified closers of the Ironmind #3 and #4 grippers. also is the name of Ironmind's grippers.)

DOMS = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

I posted the listed from Bri's deleted post.

• Like 13

• 6 years later...
  • 9 years later...
On 9/18/2012 at 7:19 PM, Cannon said:

Man I miss guys like pdoire and Soil Worker. :cry

What happened to them? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

What happened to them? 

I don’t even know. They just used to be really active. And it looks like by 2012 I already missed them a lot and now that was a decade ago. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Cannon said:

I don’t even know. They just used to be really active. And it looks like by 2012 I already missed them a lot and now that was a decade ago. 

Damn... Time flies, especially when you're really busy.

By the way, I just bought a CoC3 and a GHP7 from a friend who got them from you. I finally have rated grippers from Cannon haha 

And my first GHP. Need to figure out a way to get the SGs though. I'll have to accept the fact that customs will eat me alive and save money for that I suppose 

• Like 2

On 1/20/2022 at 6:22 AM, Cannon said:

Yeah man this life is nothing it flies so quick! We have a saying here the life is two days which really means one day you reach and the next day you leave. Hence we should do good. Anyway, I remember them too. Not just by being active but strong too. Am I correct? There are many people that are not active here anymore but we would love to see them back. I wish Jesse Marunde was alive I am sure he would have done amazing things. He was super talented anyway, the first ever teenage CoC. RVJ too though he is super active in the AW world and he will visit the grip temple God willing after his match against Ryan blue Bowen in KOTT3. Dave Morton who was one of the best crushers out there. He was a wire cutter or something eh? Cancrusher the Italian who close the #4 at 19 years. Wes Peart who was a Grip talent at 17 years old. The list goes on and on. I also remember Gorilla hands who held a #4 shut with two fingers but I am not sure if he did that in front of people back then (in 2001). Heath is still somewhat active here I assume.

• Like 5