Do Big Arms Matter?

Aftershock

So if tendons are the safety valve, doesn't that mean they are the limiting factor or the weakness? So when some 198lb AW with 18" arms can outcurl a 250lb bodybuilder with 22" bi's and they attribute the armwrestler's success to tendon strength; it's not really the tendon strength that is curling the weight but the fact that the tendons are strong enough not to limit the AW whereas the bodybuilder is limited by his ??? For example, if the BB could "turn off" his safety valve he could likely outcurl the AW??

thanks,

Josh

what would be a good indicator of tendon strength (say in the biceps)..

i mean what would be like a gold silver bronze standard.

.would a hold for time mid curl posistion be a good test

it's not really the tendon strength that is curling the weight but the fact that the tendons are strong enough not to limit the AW whereas the bodybuilder is limited by his ??? For example, if the BB could "turn off" his safety valve he could likely outcurl the AW??

Yes!

If his tendons were magically super strong, then he could out-curl anybody. In real life, if he turned off the receptors, he'd tear his bicep in half, or pull it off the bone.

• 2 weeks later...

not exactly, the density of mechanical parts (myosin and actin) in a conventional bodybuilders muscle is much much lower than that of a powerlifter, oly lifer or any strength sport competitor, aw included. These guys go for mega sarcoplasmic hypertrophy... Not to mention terrible cns conditioning... *every* fugging time they train you hear them yelling ONE MORE REP ONE MORE REP COMON DONT STOP NOW ITS ALL YOU ITS ALL YOU.... can you imagine the state of their cns? Dont they have a proper training plan!?

Bloody hate bbs...

• 4 weeks later...

train like arthur saxon to get strong tendons lift heavy read his how to books on weight lifting. he was tremendously strong and was 5'10 210lbs, with 16" upper arms and 14" forearms NOT huge, just really really really strong.

not exactly, the density of mechanical parts (myosin and actin) in a conventional bodybuilders muscle is much much lower than that of a powerlifter, oly lifer or any strength sport competitor, aw included. These guys go for mega sarcoplasmic hypertrophy... Not to mention terrible cns conditioning... *every* fugging time they train you hear them yelling ONE MORE REP ONE MORE REP COMON DONT STOP NOW ITS ALL YOU ITS ALL YOU.... can you imagine the state of their cns? Dont they have a proper training plan!?

Bloody hate bbs...

I disagree with your reason on why some BBs MAY have a shit CNS. I think it is because of using too many contrived isolation exercises which build no neural pathways. They don't teach many muscles, the CNS and the subconscious brain to all work together.

Trying to get forced reps doesn't really mess up your CNS, it just may drain it more, which eventually if not overtrained will lead it to become more efficient.

Edited by bunchofbananas

Bloody hate bbs...

I disagree with your reason on why some BBs MAY have a shit CNS. I think it is because of using too many contrived isolation exercises which build no neural pathways. They don't teach many muscles, the CNS and the subconscious brain to all work together.

Trying to get forced reps doesn't really mess up your CNS, it just may drain it more, which eventually if not overtrained will lead it to become more efficient.

You are correct, the isolation they do doesnt help them at all. Still, I dont know 1 strong person who forces reps every time they touch the weights, the overloading would lead to a severly overtrained cns if the things I have read are correct.

Bloody hate bbs...

You are correct, the isolation they do doesnt help them at all. Still, I dont know 1 strong person who forces reps every time they touch the weights, the overloading would lead to a severly overtrained cns if the things I have read are correct.

While im not strictly an HIT enthusiast, Mike Mentzer as far as i know went to failure pretty much all the time, and he was quite strong, but I think the main factor in pushing yourself to failure everytime with forced reps etc..is the length of time between workouts...its agreed, doing this with inadequite rest periods lead to cns burnout, but with enough days rest i8n between does it result in the same thing?

My problem is that I dont want to only train once every 7 days LOL.....

Hopefully this wont spark off too much of HIT talk