2-hand Pinch Setup For Contests Questions

FrankyBoy

Since I started to do the calibration of my weights today some questions arose:

1. What is a tolerable difference for two plates to be used in the 2-hand pinch??

I found a plate which is overweighing 500g (>1lb) which is obviously too much IMHO.

(For vbar it doesn't matter but with 2-hand pinch you'll get a significantly misload).

2. In my opinion the correct weight of the setup should be used.

I found that at 54 mm the setup is around 1.7kg lighter than at 64mm.

At least when using Davids setup (and rubber plates).

I remember that at the euro 2005 the different widths weren't taken into account for the total weight.

In the 2005 British Championships I weighed each component of the pinch setup then did a chart of the weight of it at each width.

So with my setup, 54mm = 27.02kg, 64mm = 28.62kg and so on. Then all I had to do was add the weight of the plates. I only used weight plates that were close to accurate and tried to arrange them so as to balance the bar. I don't know how much heavier one side would have to be before it became noticeable.

Since I started to do the calibration of my weights today some questions arose:

1. What is a tolerable difference for two plates to be used in the 2-hand pinch??

I found a plate which is overweighing 500g (>1lb) which is obviously too much IMHO.

(For vbar it doesn't matter but with 2-hand pinch you'll get a significantly misload).

2. In my opinion the correct weight of the setup should be used.

I found that at 54 mm the setup is around 1.7kg lighter than at 64mm.

At least when using Davids setup (and rubber plates).

I remember that at the euro 2005 the different widths weren't taken into account for the total weight.

I have asked Arne several times if he takes into consideration the weight of the rubber spacers and he told me he does. Anyway I am not the right person to answer this. Arne himself obviously needs to answer any criticism of the way the reported lifted pinch weights at the 2005 Euro.

For the vbar I know that the weights used weigh a little bit more than the official numbers. A reported 150.0k on the vbar is actually around 151.0k. He may have used a similar method in the pinch for 2005. He told me this is what he does for the 2006 LGC competitions in the pinch, i.e., adds small plates to compensate for the lighter weight of a narrower width on the pinch and at the same time making sure that the real weight is higher than the reported weight. The small 0.25k and 0.5k plates he adds are Eleiko competition plates so no calibration is required for these.