The Sweep

austinslater

I would love to hear anyones thoughts on the sweep and any technique advice you might have on it. I stumbled on a version of this move by accident and seem to pull very well with this style. I hit with a ton of side pressure and keep my wrist pretty flat. Is this move usually performed with a straight wrist or is wrist flexion needed to make this move more efficient? Thanks in advance guys and looking forward to the discussion.

Austin

The degree of wrist flexion is really dependant on your oponents wrist orientation. The sweep can be a very effective move if you're quick off the go. Try practicing the move with your training partner/s randomly changing their approach. Then try performing the move at a slower speed, you'll notice where the pitfalls of this move are. Several things to look at, in terms of making this move a higher percentage hit, would be elbow movement, and where your hand is in relation to your shoulder or chest. With a sweep it's best to practice switching to an inside position quickly as well.

Is the "sweep" the same move as the "full hand"?

Is the "sweep" the same move as the "full hand"?

I've never heard of the "full hand" myself, but that's not to say it's not the same general move. A sweep is a sideways driven move, dependant on sidepressure and a static pronation pressure, which essentially means that although you don't actually move to a palm down position, as with a toproll, you resist being turned inside with static pressure. It is generally performed with a hand high wrist position and your attack is generally in-line with your finger direction. Imagine you have a pencil sticking up through the top of your knuckles slightly, your attack is to drive sideways and poke the pencil into the table top. This can be done with both positive or negative elbow movement (move towards their pinpad or away from it) depending on what you anticipate your opponents attack/defense to be.

Thanks, Mark! The name "full hand" I heard from Ron Bath. I guess the name means, that you use the full hand for your pressure, what you didn't, for example, if you use a toproll. Not sure about that.

• 3 months later...

So is Ron Bath basicly doing a sweep? It seems like he uses alot of hand pressure and hits to the side with alittle flexion. Am I right here?

Also for Markh and others what muscles need to be strong for a good sweep or Ron bath type move if there is a difference?

I would love to hear anyones thoughts on the sweep and any technique advice you might have on it. I stumbled on a version of this move by accident and seem to pull very well with this style. I hit with a ton of side pressure and keep my wrist pretty flat. Is this move usually performed with a straight wrist or is wrist flexion needed to make this move more efficient? Thanks in advance guys and looking forward to the discussion.

Austin

months befor a contest train with your buddies and lock your arm in the start position try to keep the hand straight and let them hit you and you try to stay in that position hold as long as you can dont try to pin him after a couple weeks of this . and dont get me wrong do your other moves and train normaly like you would than after you build up a holding power start to lock and drive with your sholder pin holding arm and obliques and you should be a tad bit better but at the contest if you get that guy that can control your hand and wrist the sweep wont help at all then plan 2 goes into effect good luck