Hand Size Increase

nads

I've noticed my hands getting kinda _heavier_ and bigger... :blink

just wondering what it is that's growing in the hand? i didn't think there was any muscle in the hands - just tendons, skin and bones?

Have people noticed their hand size increasing during their training?

thanks

if theres tendons theres muscle there so yea your muscles are getting bigger...I have notice a big difference from my right hand to my left hand because i can close tougher grippers with my right hand...my thumb pad on my right hand is way bigger than my left!! also the meaty area right below your pinky...and my finger size is getting bigger...its awesome to me because you can just grab ppl and make them yell in pain!!

if theres tendons theres muscle there so yea your muscles are getting bigger...I have notice a big difference from my right hand to my left hand because i can close tougher grippers with my right hand...my thumb pad on my right hand is way bigger than my left!! also the meaty area right below your pinky...and my finger size is getting bigger...its awesome to me because you can just grab ppl and make them yell in pain!!

Well we're all doing it for our own reasons!!!!! :D

You're right - it does feel like its makes a huge difference having that area as a solid base, rather than just skinny when i started. Kinda feel that you can attack it harder

There are some intrinsic muscles in the hand. But extrinsic ones are worked alot 2..thats y u can see the tendons moving in ur wrist when u make a fist..

I don't know if my hands have gotten bigger..but..I can close the #1 now with a bit of a warm up pretty consistently..not like..alot..but..when I try closing it it will.

Found my fingers getting bigger only because I have put on weight, not because of grip training.

• 3 weeks later...

There are muscles in the hand and they do get bigger as the hand gets stronger. Particularly the muscles that control the thumb and the pinky. You can often spot a strong man by looking at these parts of his hand. In addition to more meat on the palm, I notice that my fingers thicken too - dont understand that. I have also added almost 1/2" to my wrists! I have very small wrists and the thickening of the muscles and tendons in the forearm has made a noticeable difference

Hi,

My name's Steve. I've just become aware of grip strength training. I am currently working with David Horne's recommended beginners' workout from the FAQ. I decided to post here first because this thread is very encouraging to me. I am 46 and have always had twigs for wrists and forearms. If I can gain some size with strength, that would be awesome.

Also, I have been on a few forums...all have been helpful, but none as civil as the Gripboard appears to be. You guys ROCK.

Steve

Hi Steve. Ive been here a fraction longer than you so I'll say welcome! :)

I do blacksmithing on the side and that got me interested in grip training. Hammer work is all about finger strength.

Hi,

My name's Steve. I've just become aware of grip strength training. I am currently working with David Horne's recommended beginners' workout from the FAQ. I decided to post here first because this thread is very encouraging to me. I am 46 and have always had twigs for wrists and forearms. If I can gain some size with strength, that would be awesome.

Also, I have been on a few forums...all have been helpful, but none as civil as the Gripboard appears to be. You guys ROCK.

Steve

Great to have ya on board with us here Steve....keep up the work and you will notice some nice increases to your wrists....and if you get into pinch gripping you will be able to just grab ppl and lead them anywhere u want to go lol.....but ya gotta be carefull when playing with your wife or kids cause everyday ordinary gripping becomes very very very easy and you wont even realize how hard you are squeezing someones hand or arm.. :rolleyes

just wondering what it is that's growing in the hand? i didn't think there was any muscle in the hands - just tendons, skin and bones?

thanks

My hands have definitely gotten bigger and thicker. I've probably gone up a couple of ring sizes.

Thanks for the welcome, gentlemen. As for having to be aware of and adjusting to my increasing grip strength around loved ones, thanks for the warning. That is I problem I look forward to dealing with.

Steve

Hi,

Steve

Hi Steve, I'm 48, and have been seriously training grip for a little over 18 months and have made nice gains. Certainly not as fast as I made weight lifting gains when I was 18-20, but decent gains over all. Trust me, as many other will tell you, when I state that we aren't too old for this, in fact we aren't close to too old !

David Horne's beginners' workout should help you build a nice foundation which should enable serious and injury free high intensity grip training in a while. Injury free is important, since things just don't seem to heal as fast, at least for me, as they did 25 years ago.

Also, I don't wear my wedding ring anymore since my fingers have become thicker and if warm or at all worked out, they swell a bit and then the old ring is much too tight.

.. neilkaz ..

Edited by neilkaz

thanks

My hands have definitely gotten bigger and thicker. I've probably gone up a couple of ring sizes.

Wes, you're still growing though. It's a bit different for us old guys to change in hand size. You may be increasing faster due to your training but you'd also be increasing without it. :D

Hi Steve, I'm 48, and have been seriously training grip for a little over 18 months and have made nice gains. Certainly not as fast as I made weight lifting gains when I was 18-20, but decent gains over all. Trust me, as many other will tell you, when I state that we aren't too old for this, in fact we aren't close to too old !

David Horne's beginners' workout should help you build a nice foundation which should enable serious and injury free high intensity grip training in a while. Injury free is important, since things just don't seem to heal as fast, at least for me, as they did 25 years ago.

Also, I don't wear my wedding ring anymore since my fingers have become thicker and if warm or at all worked out, they swell a bit and then the old ring is much too tight.

.. neilkaz ..

neilkaz,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am realistic. I don't expect to make gains as quickly, or perhaps as dramatically, as I would have 30 years ago. However, I do expect to make the best of what I've got at this stage in my life, every day for the rest of my life.

Steve

[...]

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am realistic. I don't expect to make gains as quickly, or perhaps as dramatically, as I would have 30 years ago. However, I do expect to make the best of what I've got at this stage in my life, every day for the rest of my life.

I am 56. Been working on my grip intermittently for a couple of years when I began to develop forearm problems from using a hammer. Started a serious grip program about six mos ago. I've done weight training on and off and been active all my life but never done a serious strength or bodybuilding program. I find that I can still gain muscle at about the same rate as when I was in my 20's but then I never gained particularly easily. What I do find is: it takes longer to recover; injuries happen more easily and take longer to go away. I exercise each muscle group once a week and I am careful to warm up and stretch

[...]

I am 56. Been working on my grip intermittently for a couple of years when I began to develop forearm problems from using a hammer. Started a serious grip program about six mos ago. I've done weight training on and off and been active all my life but never done a serious strength or bodybuilding program. I find that I can still gain muscle at about the same rate as when I was in my 20's but then I never gained particularly easily. What I do find is: it takes longer to recover; injuries happen more easily and take longer to go away. I exercise each muscle group once a week and I am careful to warm up and stretch

x4lbhammer,

Your last two sentences are the toughest for me to remember as I workout and plan workouts. Not surprisingly, the majority of weight-related training literature seems written for folks in their 20's. It is easy for me to get motivated after reading this stuff, but I have to remind myself that I do need more recovery time nowadays.

I agree there are plenty of gains still to be made; we just have to remember that the harder we work, the smarter we need to be about it. Thanks for your input.

Steve

Clearly, I need to work on my quote/reply skills. :erm

I've made some gains in the size of my hand in terms of depth rather than length of fingers.

My thumb pad (both overhand and underhand) and pinky pad have increased a lot. I remember the pump of my hand the first time I worked with grippers. When relaxing my hand my hand was unbalanced due to the pinky pad being pumped... it felt weird :S

The craziest gain though is general strength, for example when I grab someone's hand or shake someones hand, they always comment on my grip which is strange because I am always relaxed, maybe it's the weight they're feeling.