Strongest Grip In History

viper

V-bar for example hasn't much to do with grip strength in my opinion.

Is that why you do not place on the top 50 list?

Exactly.

People have inferred that thick bar vbar lifting (eg. 2'') is much more strength related than vbar lifting with a 1'' bar. Well guess what, at the Oz championship Nick and I dominated the 1'' vbar. After the comp. we tried a 2'' implement. Believe it or not but it was the very same guys that dominated the 1'' vbar that also dominated the 2'' vbar.

That doesn't mean anything if the two guys are much stronger than the other competitors.

I'm stronger in benchpressing and grippers than my girlfriend. Is there a correlation?

I don't think you are the right person to evaluate the strength component in vbar lifting Florian.

But I have my opinion.

All the top guys on the top 50 list in vbar lifting are plain strong overall in the grip.

You think your are plain strong overall in the grip? Probably. But why I don't read your name very often in the gripboard records and stats?

Your strength is not overwhelming in vertical bar lifting.

You're right, Mikael. But this comment is very offtopic. We are talking about the strongest grip in history. I just said that other events than v-bar are important for me for choosing the strongest gripster in history (context). I look more on other disciplines and feats of gripstrength.

Take it as a man.

I don't have a problem with that, I have other interests. To be honest, I don't give a flabbergastenpoopy for my vbar lifting. But good to know that a swede in australia cares about it.

Flo

Edited by Florian Kellersmann
  • Like 1

BTW... where IS the v-bar Top 50? Maybe I'm missing it - I went over to the GripBoard Records and Stats and it's not there. Is there a link somewhere??

BTW... where IS the v-bar Top 50? Maybe I'm missing it - I went over to the GripBoard Records and Stats and it's not there. Is there a link somewhere??

Go to "Grip Contests" section, it's pinned. :)

I think it's not possible to judge about who has the strongest grip in history because of several reasons:

1. handsize does matter (sorry, but that's a fact) and it is nearly impossible to compare people exactly (if handsize and span come into play for example)

2. there're people who never competed

3. there're people who did awesome stuff but rarely trained their grip - it's impossible to estimate their grip strenght

4. grip events are very specifically - for example I'm not that bad in the vbar but I'm far better at wide pinch. If I would train like crazy on the vbar (and some other events) I would be good at them - but my fatbar still sucks. What I wanted to say is that our judging is often based on a few numbers/events from a special person - that's not enough...

When your only tool is a hammer - everything starts to look like a nail. When our only real accurate, verified yardstick is competition results, it's hard to truely choose from anywhere else. There have been strong men throughout history, and the strongest ever may have never even have been alive during modern times when competitions existed or may just not care about how he compares to others, even today.

True words Chris!!

I think it's not possible to judge about who has the strongest grip in history because of several reasons:

1. handsize does matter (sorry, but that's a fact) and it is nearly impossible to compare people exactly (if handsize and span come into play for example)

3. there're people who did awesome stuff but rarely trained their grip - it's impossible to estimate their grip strenght

4. grip events are very specifically - for example I'm not that bad in the vbar but I'm far better at wide pinch. If I would train like crazy on the vbar (and some other events) I would be good at them - but my fatbar still sucks. What I wanted to say is that our judging is often based on a few numbers/events from a special person - that's not enough...

feats with small hands are impressive, im not saying they are not, but at the end of the day, its about getting the numbers up and winning the events - a 200kg silverback gorilla hands make any of ours look baby like - he could probably do feats of grip strength that nothing else on the planet can do - you cant just say "oh, but hold up, hes got big hands so it doesn't count"

you cant just say "oh, but hold up, hes got big hands so it doesn't count"

I've never said that - but handsize does matter and it's very difficult to compare the max efforts of two individuals with different handsizes. For a real and fair fatbar comparison between the two guys You have to measure the gap between the fingertips and the thumb! So You have to own several fatbars who fit to all competitors hands (to make it fair - just like the 2hand pinch where the competitors can choose the with of the implement)!

Perhaps this is an aspect we should think about if we would like to involve more fatbar events in future competitions.

Edited by Burkhard Macht

i know you didnt say that, but with you saying you cant compare them, you are saying it in other words, because your not saying that bigger numbers equal stronger grip - i feel its very simple, you keep the events the same for everybody, and you see who wins

its like if you tear a phone book, you have torn a phone book - to me thats easy to understand

were talking about the strongest grip of all time, not the strongest in relation to the size of the hands

Edited by viper

--it is a very small group of individuals that actually compete-

-there have been many other strong men-throughout history-- with great grips--that haven't competed--

--it is a very small group of individuals that actually compete-

-there have been many other strong men-throughout history-- with great grips--that haven't competed--

True, but there are currently (largely thanks to the GB) probably more people training their grip specifically than ever before.

you cant just say "oh, but hold up, hes got big hands so it doesn't count"

I've never said that - but handsize does matter and it's very difficult to compare the max efforts of two individuals with different handsizes. For a real and fair fatbar comparison between the two guys You have to measure the gap between the fingertips and the thumb! So You have to own several fatbars who fit to all competitors hands (to make it fair - just like the 2hand pinch where the competitors can choose the with of the implement)!

Perhaps this is an aspect we should think about if we would like to involve more fatbar events in future competitions.

Can we discuss fair bar elsewhere and also not have a 'strongest grip of all time' little hands catagory.

BigPaul - it's ok to use historical figures only if they had more than one form of grip strength. Some of the names Syber suggested were renowned strongmen with some aspects of grip strength. I'm never gonna deny Louis Uni a place but I might Thomas Inch (for obvious reasons) and Pullum is strong but a grip strength guy?

• 2 months later...

What the guy said about Magnus Samuelsson MUST MEAN SOMETHING.

How many have certified on #4? Only 5 people in the world. Now, I don't know how Holle/Heslep/Morton did it, but as he stated (I've seen this video as well), Magnus Samuelsson closed a COC4 two times, holding it for several seconds each time, and this all in less than 30 secsonds (or so). And with a smile on his face, and asking "anybody else?" (anybody else want to see it closed?) .. heck, it looked like he could close it a couple more times.

So it's understandable that people think this way: if he does that, and does not train his grip as much as a world class girpper.... then if he trained... heck knows what he'd do. But again, that's speculating, and we don't know how much he trains his grip.

So maybe his "overal grip" is not even top 10 in the world.. but what about pure crushing grip? Anyone can toy around with a COC4 like that?

Sorry to pile on another thread here, but since you guys have as much knowledge as anybody, i ask any grip related questions i have here, an i have a question

As far as all around grip strength goes, including max strength / strength endurance in every kind of grip (crush, pinch, hold etc) what feats would someone have to do for you to class them as having the stongest grip in the world?

a few ideas from me:

- ccs ironmind #4 for reps

- ccs ironmind #3 for 20 reps

- ccs ironmind #2 for 50 reps

- ccs ironmind #1 for 100 reps

- ccs ironmind trainer for 150 reps

- tear a fresh tennis ball in half

- set the rolling thunder world record

- crush a smallish raw potato in one hand (no finger tips)

- pinch deadlift 2 25's in each hand for time

- instantly explode a can using only crush grip

- no set close 2 hg300's at the same time

good enough?? need more??

viper

I like the list for the most part but I would revise a couple things.

Make the 2 25s into 2 45s.

No set close 2 BBGE at the same time, since a HG300 is probably about equal to a BBSM.

And I would add these.

TNS a #4

MMS a BBP

Close a BBE with two fingers

Curl a Blob50 for reps

What the guy said about Magnus Samuelsson MUST MEAN SOMETHING.

How many have certified on #4? Only 5 people in the world. Now, I don't know how Holle/Heslep/Morton did it, but as he stated (I've seen this video as well), Magnus Samuelsson closed a COC4 two times, holding it for several seconds each time, and this all in less than 30 secsonds (or so). And with a smile on his face, and asking "anybody else?" (anybody else want to see it closed?) .. heck, it looked like he could close it a couple more times.

So it's understandable that people think this way: if he does that, and does not train his grip as much as a world class girpper.... then if he trained... heck knows what he'd do. But again, that's speculating, and we don't know how much he trains his grip.

So maybe his "overal grip" is not even top 10 in the world.. but what about pure crushing grip? Anyone can toy around with a COC4 like that?

On the video he trains grip so it's hardly that he doesn't train grip and would get better - he already does and is good.

Sorry to pile on another thread here, but since you guys have as much knowledge as anybody, i ask any grip related questions i have here, an i have a question

As far as all around grip strength goes, including max strength / strength endurance in every kind of grip (crush, pinch, hold etc) what feats would someone have to do for you to class them as having the stongest grip in the world?

a few ideas from me:

viper

No set close 2 BBGE at the same time, since a HG300 is probably about equal to a BBSM.

And I would add these.

TNS a #4

MMS a BBP

Curl a Blob50 for reps

That whole list was revised as some will never be done and others are easy. Viper, for all of my opinion of some of his posts, was suggesting rather than stating a starting point for debate. His list was too varied. For example repping a 4 when onbly 5 have shut it is not gonna happen anytime soon but the no set close of a pair of HG300's is relatively easy (compared to repping a 4). Hence no comparison and too wide and varied a selection.

The BBE with two fingers wont happen but curling a Blob50 for reps has been done (Jim Wylie did 2 at an OH dinner - it's in the gallery - and looked good for more).

Yeah, I would like to see someone MMS a BB pro. That would be pretty crazy. It was crazy when Dave morton repped the #4 4 times like he did. 2 45's is pretty world class. Nothing for Wade Gillingham though. Hmmm...I would like to see:

MMS of BB Pro

Clean and press 2 45's (definitely would be interesting)

clean and press the millineum(sp) dumbbell

No set the #4 would be pretty crazy...Tommy doing the TNS of the BBSE was pretty insane in itself. Hell anyone who can close the #4...my hat is off to you.

Leverage a 35 lb sledge (not sure if this has already happened...would be insane if it has)

Plate bicep curl 2 35's

Tear a NY city phone book (if there is just one...I would assume there would be more than one for that city)

, I saw a Las vegas 1800 page phone book tear...and that was crazy

2 decks of cards at the same time

I don't know much about bending...but when I saw Tommy bend the 60d by holding it straight out in front of him...I wouldn't mind seeing a red bent like that (not sure if that is feasible...always a crazy thing to see).

Hmmm...Crushing a beer can with one hand in a choke hold

The ripping of the tennis ball in half was crazy....never thought that would happen and the people I told that to were like, what in the hell, that is possible.

60lb blob clean and press...that would be one big hand that could do that.

Not sure if this is possible, but a one hand snatch of the inch dumbbell. I heard of people doing 140 lbs on a regular dumbbell...

I guess that is pretty much it for me. Of course I can only close the #2...so alot impresses me. Those would just be like...WTF... that's just...inhuman!

Feel free to modify the list

the 1800 phone book tear is nothing comparing to this http://www.functionalhandstrength.com/impo..._book_tear.html

a few ideas from me:

viper

And I would add these.

TNS a #4

MMS a BBP

Curl a Blob50 for reps

the 25's were meant as kilos / 55lbs

if i did this list again now it would be very different, i was very new to grip when i started this thread, now im just new to it..

Probably miss a few things but this is my goal list / i think this would probably = the strongest grip in history

ccs IM #4 for 4 reps

ccs IM #3 for 20 reps

ccs IM #2 for 50 reps

stritctly wrist curl a 45lb plate

stritctly curl a 55lb plate

tear phone books / card decks / tennis balls

bend the red nail

crush a small potato without finger tips

crush any apple in either hand without finger tips

explode cans

perform 1 finger chin ups @ 300lbs+

farmer walk with two inch dumbbells

pinch 2 45's in both hands for timed hold

two handed pinch world record

rolling thunder world record

also maybe some hub lifting, sledge hammer stuff, an a double tns of some tough rb narrow gripper

He lied about his age in order to enlist in the grip army he he He's really 86. :tongue