Strongest Grip In History

viper

Sorry to pile on another thread here, but since you guys have as much knowledge as anybody, i ask any grip related questions i have here, an i have a question

As far as all around grip strength goes, including max strength / strength endurance in every kind of grip (crush, pinch, hold etc) what feats would someone have to do for you to class them as having the stongest grip in the world?

a few ideas from me:

- ccs ironmind #4 for reps

- ccs ironmind #3 for 20 reps

- ccs ironmind #2 for 50 reps

- ccs ironmind #1 for 100 reps

- ccs ironmind trainer for 150 reps

- tear a fresh tennis ball in half

- set the rolling thunder world record

- crush a smallish raw potato in one hand (no finger tips)

- pinch deadlift 2 25's in each hand for time

- instantly explode a can using only crush grip

- no set close 2 hg300's at the same time

good enough?? need more??

viper

Edited by viper

Above maybe

Below - no and I know you do these now but6 they're not even close to world class

crush a potato with no fingertips is very very very hard if not impossible.

Forget the 2 25's I can do that, how about 2 45's or 3 35's. Also all the high reps on the #2 and below don't really mean a whole lot either. Just good muscle endurance. Now 20 reps on the #3 would be very impressive. :bow

Klicks

I could lift two 25 easily before training my grip :D

And one more thing, people always say that david horne is the best in all grip feats. i only know he is one of the best in pinch, so what else he can do?

Above maybe

Below - no and I know you do these now but6 they're not even close to world class

I agree

Edited by BigT

Be David Horne...

I agree, excellent summary.

In grip strength competitions - David Horne is the man. Others are certainly strong but David stepped up to the plate and proved it in an open competition. Perhaps not the best in each and every grip test - he's certainly the best overall.

2 25's is extremely easy, now if you want a real feat try Wade Gilligham's 3 35's non centrally loaded.

Didn't Heath do 15 paralell reps with the #3?

Didn't Heath do 15 paralell reps with the #3?

i've seen the video on cyberpump of heath doin the 15 reps. it's pretty ridiculous.

Reps on the #2 and below mean nothing. Pinching 2 25's is easy for almost anyone without any grip training. Personally I have never seen anyone crush a potatoe without the fingertips.

- MM set the HG500

- Pinch 3 45's

- Bend 5/16 FBBC square at 7"

- Strict front lever 60lbs (both hands)

- Tack 20lbs on the RT world record

Do this tommorow and I would say you could have possibly the strongest grip in the world. But by the time you (or I, for that matter), come anywhere close these will have been achieved already.

I could lift two 25 easily before training my grip :D

And one more thing, people always say that david horne is the best in all grip feats. i only know he is one of the best in pinch, so what else he can do?

Check out the all-time lifts. He's up there on V-Bar, was just behind me on the reverse Weaver, can do the inch, a hub lift, his one hand lift is one of the best and so on. As others have said he may not hold all the records but has beaten more than any other again and again in competition. In other words the best all round grip.

Thanks for the mentions. :blush

But there have been some great guys in the past, also in the present, and certainly in the future. You wait and see!!

Scary times ahead, shame I'm at the end of my career.

David

Kind of wish David hadn't posted just above before I say this, but in addition to being absolutely world class elite, he's possibly the nicest man around, certainly among the most gentlemanly in terms of also being the gold standard of grip strength BEASTS.

In fact, for the most part, the world's best, at least in strength sports, are also often the most gentlemanly. That is evident by several of the standard-bearers who post on the Gripboard.

For me, all the records that David Horne has set are truly impressive, inspiring and motivational.

Many persons who post here must know more than I do about John Brookfields accomplishments. I've read his books and watched his DVD Blueprint for Grip strength, but haven't (yet) seen anything else and don't actually know, which of his feats would be the best. What would you say about his accomplishments? What would be his best feats to date?

Brookfield:

Bent however many 60d's in an hour, BARE-HANDED. I don't care if he started the bend braced on his leg.

Bending the RED nail slim-style (even if he started it a bit on his leg)

Bending 100d nails

Tearing tennis balls

Crushing potatoes

As far as grippers, pinch, and one-handed lifts (feats which don't benefit so much from learning) there are many on this board who could beat him, such as, for example, our strength historian Mr. David Horne

Depending how much of a bend on his leg he got - or indeed anyone who uses that style - there are many GB members who could finish off the various bars he has bent in that style. I KNOW I could finish off a red if it was passed my sticking point. But unbraced - not a chance.

John is a showman and a very good one who has a strong grip. I don't think he has the strongest grip in history.

That is impressive list, I read about that 60-penny nail bending, but did not realize that he did it with bare hands. Other feats you mentioned I was familiar with. Thanks.

I'm also under the impression, that his best feats are allmost without exception bending nails and short pieces of metal in general.

I also remember reading about him closing the #4, but doing it so that he uses his other thumb to hold the handle in place.

That tennis ball tearing goes very high on my list, if not highest.

I'll order his DVD, which shows all his records anytime soon. I'll bet that it will be mindblowing to watch.

This might be off topic, but I would thank him most for the pioneer work he has done in this field and writing all those great books, tips and articles. He has shared so much information, that any person who owns his books would be able to build very strong grip without any extra information. I would advice any beginner to buy those books and start from there. I think I've read those about 15 times each and they allways give me new ideas.

Edited by Teemu I

I agree with the book and tips info - I think he may get paid by IM but nevertheless still good. David Horne's Grip course is out of print and he has been asked many times to redo it (I even offered to retype it and help him sell it as an e-book) but he doesn't want to know.

As you say he has, as do a few of us (ahem), favourite lifts and movements but that's again why david rates so highly. Not only is he outstanding at the two handed Euro pinch etc but also has rated well enough on many, many other lifts to mark him out as a great all-rounder.

Vipers original question was probably more aimed at less who we think is 'the daddy' now but more what we think would make a lifter the best using some lifts as a guide/feats as a guideline.

On that basis: 100-kilos or more in the two handed pinch (anything over 90 is damn good and 100 great). Over 150-kilo single handed and 300 kilos combined totals on the V-Bar, at least a CoC 3 or better on the grippers and if you can do reps with a CC set on a 3 so much the better. A red or cut down red for bending, 50lbs blob and so on. Anything better than this in one person will get them, IMO, rated as a bloody good gripster.

Well of course I'm fully aware that he has done those books to make some profit, but good stuff anyway.

As I recall, I said that I find David Horne's records truly impressive.

For the record, I don't/didn't say anything about John Brookfield beeing the greatest all time. I think that this matter is too comlex to determine, who has the strongest grip of all times. I'm fully aware of all the great accomplishements of many well known board members.

I would say there are many so great individuals in this field, that I would not claim anyone to be solely above others. If we stick to the context of this whos the man-talk, so called "unbeatable" champion of each and every kind of grip strength would be hard to determine.

I would have to name several guys instead of just one. No offence intended towards anybody.

As for the original question, no matter how you think this subject, it allways will be so that existing recrods are brought up to the conversation. It would be impossible to think how much is great, if we had nowhere to stand. Current records are good guidelines. I totally agree about the feats you listed, that would make a really really good overall grip.

Edited by Teemu I