Arm wrestling compition question

Guest Snoopery

Guest Snoopery

i was just wondering. if i were to go into an arm wrestling compition would there be kids in my weight catagory that only work out like one arm so they are small but have one big arm. i know its a stupid question but im just wondering.

Josh

Guest kINGPIN

I wont get too much into bodybuilding on this site but in response to your question, here goes.  It is hard to build yourself up in one specific place as in just one arm.  The body has to be worked as a whole of the part in question will suffer.  That is why we squat.  It produces a lot of hormones to help build big arms.  All the bicep curls and dips in the world wont give you big arms unless you train everything else aswell (or have extreemly weird genetics, and even then you will never realise your true potential).  

I know nothing of armwrestling but I think this may cover your question.  Hope it helps.

Andy

Hi Snoop

That happens a lot! I only amrwrestle with my right arm so my right wrist is 1cm and forearm 3cm bigger than my left. Also what you'll find are guys with big upper bodies but very thin legs.

Kingpin is right about growing bigger overall with squats, but in armwrestling you don't need/want to have big legs...

Good luck to your competition!

Guest Luke Reimer

Snoopery,

It's true about competitive armwrestlers tending to be a little topheavy (or at least underdeveloped in the legs), and even a little lopsided, in the case of those who only compete in one arm.

However I wouldn't worry about weight distribution as it relates to weight classes. What's going to beat you out there is superior conditioning, not necessarily superior muscle mass. You'd be amazed at the degree to which brute strength is not transferrable to an armwrestling match (not to mention the degree to which mass and strength do not go together). Armwrestling involves highly specific strengths that are hard to condition without a table and a partner, and strengths which often have only a marginal effect on an amwrestler's dimensions. Some of the world's toughest armwrestlers would be almost impossible to pick out of lineup in the street.

The best thing to do is not to get hung up about winning or losing in the short term. Armwrestling is a long term venture. It takes a few years to tap into your potential. The best way to get into it is just to jump right in and hang the consequences. Enjoy the cameraderie, learn from your losses, savour the occasional win. It only gets better with time.

Good luck,

Luke

Guest CanadaCrush

I agree with Luke. The hardest hump to get over as a begining armwrestler, is the pain that comes with it as your tendons and bones get accustomed to the odd force vectors and heavy loads. In my, short as it may be, armwrestling career, I've seen many up and coming pullers quit due to discomfort. When practicing take it easy. If you have experienced armwrestlers to train with, listen and observe.

-Mark

Guest CanadaCrush

Although all armwrestlers enjoy Over The Top, it is by no means accurate in any faction. No armwrestlers are quite that vocal, with the exception of possibly Stephan Metka and Perry Bruhn. The movie probably did more to damage the image of the sport rather than improve the publics view of it. The straps aren't some huge glove-like thing either. Oh well.

-Mark

Guest Snoopery

to the guy that told me to watch that movie thanks. you wont see this i bet but oh well there is the odd chance. i watched the movie today with my friends and it got my heart pumping for competition. there was me and my 2 friends one was navid we had arm wrestled alot before and he was pretty good but i beat all except for once sence we have started latly before i used to just beat him all the time but i dont count those. then there is danny he is 17 and 1 year older then me. i beat him most of the time to and i barely lose to him. when we was kids we all used to arm wrestle danny would win of course but then i beat him once it felt good and i knew that i would do it again. as the movie finished we just kinda sat there watchin the credits. navid and danny were sittin beside each other so i guess they would have an arm wrestle because we all like to do it. they had one navid lost but he is kinda tired from workinout. then they had another a bit after and he lost again. i gave all of my suport but it wasnt enough. then i let danny rest up because he wanted to go against me. we got ready on my old coffee table and i was what i thought to be scared but once i got control of it i realised it was a passion and it was angsiety(i dont know how to spell it) but i could sure feel it. i like to joke around and i was bein like the guys on over the top but its all in fun no one gets hurt. so we start off and i have this drive to win and i just made his hand go down so quick but he was holding on. i knew that i had him so i desided to use my move that i do. i like move my hand so it makes his go up and down sorta thing and it was over so i just fell off the table like the canadian guy was doin and it was over. i felt really good and now i ask of my friends danny and navid to help me out when i goto a comp and make me laugh. so i hope it is good luck i will be postin anything that may happen in my carrer because you guys have been so helpful i cant thank you all enough. i know that i will lose alot and i am ready for that but it is something for me to do and i know that it would be fun. well that is all that i have to say. my friend navid promised me he would come with me and i will see if he is goin to help me train. i think that danny will be training to and what i want is for all of us to goto a comp together and i will try and get navid ready for it becuase he doesnt think he could do it but i know everyone can go but most will lose no one will become #1 their first try i just want something fun to do well summer aint around. that is a really great movie kinda old but if people think that it is stupid well then they dont have the angsiety. Thanks once again for helping me out. any pointers as i start off my journey.

Josh

This is a serious question. First, I know nothing

about training for arm wrestling, except what I

have picked up here on the board.

In the movie Over The Top, remember the scene where

Sly is in his truck and is using some sort of pulley device

with one arm while he is driving. The amount of weight

is so light. Is this exercise something that is employed in

the real world? If so, why? If not, who advised them to

include the image?

Thanks.

Guest Snoopery

well i just happen to know that answer to that from my bro and school. if you lift alot of weight at one time your muscles have to get used to this so they break and build themselfs up but if you use only a little bit of weight it will tone your muscles making them apear small but infact they are very strong and compact. it would be a good thing to do some people would think you are very small but really you are strong and you havent gained the extra mass and you will be able to mose alot more better because with big muscles its is so hard to do anything that involves alot of movement. hope that was completely right.

Josh

Guest Luke Reimer

Joe,

I wondered about that part of the movie too. I cannot see

how the cable exercise, as shown, would have been

beneficial.

The question of realism is another matter. There's no

accounting for what some armwrestlers will do. The amazing

John Brzenk somewhere said that he squeezes generic

grippers while he drives, going until failure.