World armwrestling champs. poland

David Horne

Elizabeth and I fly out to Poland tomorrow for the World Armwrestling Champs and we're getting quite excited about the prospect. The chance to go against the best in the World in a World Championship is what I've always wanted to do. To do this in Poland will be special as well. The Russians and the U.S.A are the favourites, but all the other eastern bloc countries are excellent, in fact all the athletes will be tough to beat. Anyway, we will take the grippers and see how they fare if they want to have a go.

Luke and Canadacrush,

I see the Canadians are taking a big team, I look forward to meeting up with them.

David

Airport Guard: 'What are these"

David: "They are grippers- used in the testing of hand

strength."

Airport Guard: "Let me see if I can....it's not moving,

what is it really?"

David: "It's a gripper but not like the easy ones in the stores"

Airport Guard: "It did not move for me; show me"

David then closes the #3 for a few reps,then grabs a pair of #2s and clicks them to a happy tune as Elizabeth dances thru

the security gate with David following on their way to the

world championships.

Be safe, and do your best; good luck!

Guest Luke Reimer

David,

Good luck! I think it's going to be Russia, Britain, Canada and Sweden at the top of the 100 kgs this year. As you may have heard, Sharon Remez of Sweden has come back and should be a force to be reckoned with. The last I heard he was expected to go in the 100 kg class.

My 100 kgs teammate, Devon Larratt, may be able to mash your #3 gripper for you. Last year he claimed to be able to do this right handed, but I'm not sure about left. Let us know how it all goes!

A safe trip to you!

Luke,

I'm amazed that you think I may be up there! Honestly, if I can win a few bouts I'll be SO pleased. I remember seeing Sharon armwrestle in Paris on satelite tv, he's a tough cookie. But so are all of them. I look forward to meeting Devon, and if he wants a go, he can certainly crush my gripper but not my hand! I think Elizabeth can fare well, and she'll meet up again with Josee from Canada who she competed against in the strongwoman contests in the summer. The heat of the summer seems a long time ago!

Thanks to all for your besh wishes, David

David: Heidi Andersson from sweden is a realy good armwrestler. she doesnt do any gripp training but have won the World armwrestling champs.

would be cool if you could get here try the COC's.

:)

good luck David and Elizabeth!

Guest CanadaCrush

David, unfortunately Devon won't be attending the worlds this year. Canada is sending a large team, although many of the pullers did not place at nationals. Sharon is pulling in the 110 kg class right I believe, and 100kg left. I may have gotten this backwards, however. Good luck to you, I'm sure you will do great. I'm sorry I couldn't be there to pull you personally.

-Mark

Here's a very quick report.

700 competitors, from 30 countries. 132 ish from Russia! Britain took 9 competitors.

Elizabeth Talbot placed 3rd behind Russia and Russia. 4th Czech, 5th Finland and 6th U.S.A.

I took 9th in a class of 23, and the top were Russia, Kazachstan, Russia, Kazachstan, Ukraine, Finland, France, U.S.A.

Very interesting country, we had a good week.

Thanks for all your support.

David

P.S. I tested quite a few europeans and americans with the grippers and certified one armwrestler from Belgium. His name is Jean Michel Smeers.

Whilst unpacking I've just come across the measurement I took of the canadian Greg Boyes forearm. Luke will know, and verify that his forearms are huge, although his forearm is not very long even though he is in the super class. Hopefully the photos I have taken will come out. Anyway, I measured his forearm (arm straight out, with his wrist bent), and had the string tight. It was exactly 16 1/2". I'm telling everyone that this looked a huge forearm.

David

Joe,

Unfortunately I didn't measure his wrist. But it didn't really look any bigger than mine which is just over 8". This is guesswork though.

David

Guest Luke Reimer

Good work, David! I had no idea your class would be so huge this year! Last year in Finland the 100 kgs had fourteen entries in each of the left and right, and only two Russians in each (actually, in the left, one from Russia, and one from Kazakstan).

Not counting your Russian and Kazakstan entries (these guys are super tough), it's almost as though you took 5th in your first Worlds in a class nearly twice as big as mine. I'm still amazed at the size of that class! Wow...

Do you remember whether any of the Russians was Ibragim Ibragimov? Or whether any of the guys from Kazakstan was Oleg Chegodaev? What happened to Sharon Remez from Sweden?

Actually, David, I haven't met Greg Boise, but I've heard about the size of his forearms from some of my teammates. What I heard was something like "20 inches" flexed. I thought this an exaggeration, but if you measured them at 16.5" straight, David, then maybe not. And Joe, this is just speculation, but I would expect that Greg has a wrist size under 8 inches. Everyone who's told me about Greg says his hand's are very "small."

Speaking of Greg, do you remember how he did, David?

Luke,

It was a big competition, in fact it may have been closer to 800 competitors. Baby-faced Ibragim won my class, unfortunately I didn't wrestle him. Oleg was also in the class, I think he was the one who came 2nd. One of the Kazakstan pullers had a huge upper body and no legs-he was very strong! No Sharon there. I think Greg got 2nd or 3rd in the supers, he beat Ryan Espey (who had a big tussle with a Russian).  I beat the canadian in my class (can't remember his name), and the german. I had a very close match with the frenchman Gregory Schneider (I should have won this), before losing to the Ukranian. I really can't wait to next year! Boy am I going to train hard. The winner in Elizabeth's class was Vika Gabakhova, who hasn't lost an armwrestle contest, is that right?

David

Guest CanadaCrush

David, Congrats on your success at your first worlds, as well as Elizabeth's. It sounded like a huge event. You are right, Greg does have massive forearms, and he told me at this years nationals that they were 20" with his arm at 90 degrees, and maximum wrist flexion. I doubt his wrist is very large, as Luke said, he has very small hands. You are also right, from what I know, about Vika. She is a monster, and I'm sure Luke can attest to this, as he has seen her beat some big men in Finland. The Canadian was either Dwight Sulymers (sp?) or Ron Delay, I believe. At nationals they weren't in the 100kg class, they were lighter. Congrats again.

-Mark

Guest Luke Reimer

"Baby-faced" Ibragim--yeah, that would be him. Last year Devon Larratt kept referring to him as "the Baby-faced Assassin." It was an apt description on both accounts. And Oleg of Kazakstan placed second? This would be the same order as the finishes last year. Thanks for the details!

I know what you mean--the excitement of a world championship armwrestling competition is quite motivational. I'm sure training will never be the same again! It wasn't for me. I hated staying home for this one, but I'm hoping to get out for the next one.

Guest 115-1005574997

Luke

Is there a website where we can learn more about the competitors and maybe the evnet itself?

It sounds amazing and I' m sure others on here would like to learn more about arm wresting and what happened at the worlds.

P.S Well done Dave and Eliz!!!!! :)

Luke,

It was a great competition and it has really inspired me. I want to stand on the first place podium with the russians either side of me. I know I can do it, possibly in a 5 year period, and I know Elizabeth will definitely occupy that 1st place position. We're looking at our training and devising new implements of torture, and of course now we have to put some armwrestling in as well. I look forward to meeting up with you in St. Louis, although I may go to the Europeans in Czech Republic.

David

David,

The man whom you certified on the #3, did he try

the #4, and if so, how far did it move?

Also, did anyone manage to bend your wrist back

during the competition?